Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Ignore the Bad Bimmer Reviews - A Lot To Enjoy
By D Needles

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

By the way, if you are going to buy the car, it's Bimmer. The other spelling is for motorcycles.

I've read the negative reviews. High maintenance costs, rock hard RFTs, suspension issues, blah, blah.....Here's my story.

Bought my 328xi black beauty with 34K for about half of the original cost. Have now owned it for 2 yrs. No major repair issues. I have a local BMW (not dealership) do most of my maintenance well below the dealer prices. I do the oil changes and plan to replace the front brakes next month. Most of what I learned about how to work on my Bimmer I got off YouTube. Trust me, you can do some of the basics or more if you care to.

RFTs? I want them. Won't see me changing a tire on the Interstate one late night. And I had a flat with one, drove it 50 miles going 50 MPH to a Costco, no damage to the rim. I replaced the OEMs with Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs and they have been great. Much better than the OEMs. Got 25K miles on them and plenty of tread left.

Suspension issues? Yeah, it does on occasion "boom" when I hit a med sized pothole, but no damage to the car. I figure you given up something for the superior handling and overall driving experience. I see one coming, I go around it. No problem.

There is nothing like driving a well-cared for BMW, black-on-black, on a bright summer day. It's artwork in motion.

Potential to be a really great car.
By Joey L

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Make no mistake.
This is one of the best cars I have ever had, out of about 10. I have a 335 with sports package, premium package and 20 inch wheels. Jet black with dealer installed blueing of the chrome, and window tinting. It is a fairly sharp looking car. On a good road, it handles and accelerates really well. It is great for a driving trip with good roads. The premium stereo is best sounding I have owned. Even after 6 years the interior still smells like a new leather wallet (analogy upcoming).
Get this car on a well paved road, switch to sport mode and let it rip. It is a very happy experience.
However, it is likely to cost you. After i settle down from paying the bills I can joke about it. But I think there is a computer chip somewhere inside the makes things start to fail after the service contract ends. For example, on the first service visit after the contract ended, they advised spark plugs and wheel alignment. That was $1600. (of course this includes the World-class check up).
After a big rainstorm the computer thought the engine was overheating and made the car slow down on the freeway to 25 MPH. That was fun. Be prepared for unsympathetic people when you drive a BMW. After 3 service visits they figured out it was water leaking into the battery compartment and cabling conduit. That was $3400.
Tires? $1700, every two years. Gotta love them run-flats.
I figure the car smells like a wallet to remind you of how much money you will need to continue to put into it.
Even with that, I really like this car. I sort of expected it was going to cost a lot once the warranty was up. But not quite that much.
I think that If I do this again, I would lease and make sure the lease ends before the warranty does. But then it would be hard to get the extras just right. That is, the sports package really does ride better than the standard suspension (I really did try both) and the premium stereo is really good sounding (I did try both).

Major Issues
By Disappointed

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2009 328xi with certified warranty. Under warranty the engine fan needing replacement, the rear light assembly and the air conditioning unit. My warranty expired in March 2015. It is now September 2015 and I took my car in for an oil change and front brakes and they are now telling me my front differential needs repaired and I have a cracked valve cover. Mind you my car just turned 60k.
These are all major repairs for a car that is basically 5 years old and very low miles. I am so beside myself that 6 mos after the warranty I have more large ticket items at the tune of $3k. to repair?
I will probably never buy another BMW as I have vehicles over 15 years old at home that have never had to have major work or major repair bills. I took the car down to see what the trade in value is and its only $12k after paying $32k for it 5 years ago. Wow!

48,000 miles on 2009 328i xDrive
By sduconn

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car has been reliable, has just needed regular maintenance. Run-flat tires are awful - have replaced several and now have Continentals. No space for spare tire, but have taken long road trips over 800 miles. Performance and dynamics are excellent - brake feel, steering, acceleration are all top notch. Interior - though good for this class. Excellent ergonomics and materials. Maintenance and repair are expensive out of warranty but that's ok for this level of luxury and performance (it is a BMW). No rattles or shakes and road noise is minimal, though it is a sports sedan - ride is stiff and choppy with larger wheel size. Overall top notch sedan, few compromises.

- It's all about the performance - Easy to comprehend interior - simple dash design - Comfortable for 1-4 average sized people - Excellent in bad weather

- No more run-flat tires BMW - put a spare in somewhere - Wheels get dirty easy due to caliber placement - Not as eager as a 335i

Almost Perfect...
By cheapdeep

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Third BMW I've owned. BMW got a lot right but they also got a lot wrong. The engine, transmission, styling and handling are all incredible. But everybody knows that.

The ergonomics and interior leave a lot to be desired. BMW really lost the form follows function on this one. The cup holders are obvious but where do I put my sunglasses? I don't have keyless start so what's the point of the start button? Instead of putting in a key and turning, I now have and extra unneeded step to start the car. And iDrive? Everything on there could be replaced by a $40 burner phone from Walmart. It's pretty useless although it does look pretty.

Engine, transmission, power, drive, handling and styling are all spectacular! I can't overstate this, the car is amazing to drive. They got all the hard stuff perfect. It's frustrating since the mistakes are all the easy things they should have down by now.

Ergonomics stink, interior design needs a lot of work. Constant warning lights for everything. Run flats are horrible! Seriously, what was BMW thinking? We are going to take a perfect suspension and add the worst possible tires to it. Bouncy, rough, loud. The BMW dealer where I am isn't very good which is unfortunate since I'm at the dealer for something or another every few months like... the top hasn't stopped rattling since I bought it.