Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good to drive, but service is tough
By AT

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I ordered my car a few years ago and for the most part have really liked it with a few caveats. Its been driven to Montana in the snow and handled Seattle snow-pocolypse '09 with flying colors. I think it handles better in the snow than my previous subarus. The caveats: The fuel pump has been replaced twice due to factory flaw (warranty repair) and this series of car has consistent issues with the brakes making noise as you take off (not under braking). BMW currently will not fix it. The service experience has me re-thinking the car. I may go to something smaller and slightly more fuel efficient for commuting. It wouldn't be an issue if I bought a truck, but this is a BMW. I expected more.

Favorite Features

Interrior lighting, keyless entry, the engine is phenominal, AWD system, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Service practices and general reliability of the car

Runflat tires
By Rob Nesbitt

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As you can see above, I like the car. That said, I feel the dealers take advantage of the customer. This is a lease, and I need their approved service. They charged by $309 for a wheel alignment which could have been sold with poor alignment. Who's to know. Also, I was charged $483.00 for a tire replacement (simple nail). This is outrageous. According to the dealer, run-flats cannot be repaired. Again, I was stuck with the dealer recommendation. Run-flats are a poor excuse for "saving" the weight of a spare and "peace of mind" to be able to go 50 miles at 50mph (try that on an L.A. freeway). One must use secondary roads if one does not want to get rear- ended.

Favorite Features

Handling, speed and mileage (30 on the highway).

Suggested Improvements

Dump the run-flats. $2,500.00 for a set of new tires is outrageous. $309 for an alignment is outrageous. All service outside of "free" service is "outrageous".

A Great Car (328i)
By Prof T

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

For the money this is one great car. Excellent performance for a 4dr sedan that gets around 23MPG. Smooth ride and lots of quality inside. Would buy this car again.

Favorite Features

The total package just works. Real Synergy.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders (that's it)

High cost, low driving satisfaction
By BB

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Nicely appointed car with the driving excitement of a mid 90's Ford Taurus. 6 speed shiftable automatic transmission is rough in automatic modes and sluggish when shifted with paddles. Handling gives little road feel, and the car does very poorly on wet roads. Excessive road noise at highway speeds with original run-flat tires. BMW has managed to engineer the fun out of this very quick sedan. Gas mileage on premium is poor. Driver comfort with sport seats is very good, but the front passenger seat is cramped for an average adult. Many of the car's electronic features work only on an intermittent basis. The car is a real disappointment at $50K+ fully equipped.

Favorite Features

Nice interior finishes, good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Auto transmission is a horror and should be avoided. This entire car should be avoided by anyone seeking an "ultimate driving machine". Boring and overpriced.

Nice RIde
By TRC

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Hands down the best car I've ever driven. Bought this car new almost 2 years ago. Still loving it and I'm averaging 24.2 MPG! (and I drive it hard). Had a few minor electrical issues that have been fixed for free, but I'm a bit nervous about the cost after the warranty expires. Definitely a small car though and not ideal for families if this is your primary ride. Run flats are stupid, but I've had no problems with mine. AWD in the winter is insane!

Favorite Features

POWER, so fast. When you're driving 90, it feels like you're driving 45. AWD is phenomenal in the winter. I can plow through six inches of snow and get up the hill in my driveway no problem.

Suggested Improvements

It's a small car, back seat is cramped. Trunk space is tiny. Center console is tiny. Seats are not that comfortable on long trips (non sport). Some minor electrical issues so far which is concerning. Stock 17" rims are blah. I bought Grey 19" CSL reps for summer that look sick.