Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great Car
By WLoca

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 335xi after my 1999 Volvo S80 T6 died after 300,000 miles. The engine, transmission, and drivetrain are more connected than any competitive model tested. The steering is precise and it a blast to drive. I still smile when I hear it's subtle exhaust note when I start it in the morning. The AWD system is very good in all conditions but the run flat tires are not designed for snow. They were OK in winter #1 but will invest in snows next fall. My biggest challenge has been reliability. They had to replace the front wheel bearings at 14K miles and I broke down at 17K miles and had to be towed to the dealership to replace the fuel pump and repair an oil pan leak. Not what I expected.

The twin turbo. Bluetooth is better than wife's Audi by a mile. I get comments about the clarity. Adaptive headlights are great and LED's on door handles is a nice touch. iDrive is great after the first couple days. It's easier than Audi's MMI in my opinion. Maintenance plan.

Reliability has been terrible so far on the car I got. Driver's cup holder is a joke but a small price to pay for the overall performance. After a New England winter hitting a pothole with the run flat tires is pretty rough.

Perfect!
By cgpublic

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

No regrets in choosing the sweet sounding naturally aspirated I6 over the turbo - plenty of acceleration throughout the power band matched to exceptional road feel. The GM 6-speed transmission is not as refined as the ZF, but still head and shoulders over any other auto that I have owned. DS mode and paddles provide plenty of flexibility and fun. AWD is sure-footed in rain and snow, and the xi is the perfect match for urban/suburban roads. 8K well-spent in options (ZPP, ZSP, Xenon, CA, iPod, Heated Seats, Metallic Paint). Phenomenal build quality with no issues to date - just a smile every minute behind the wheel!

Exterior and interior design, steering and handling. Sport seats and steering wheel. Kidney grill, Comfort Access and LED puddle lamps. Xenons and corona rings. Bluetooth for iPhone and USB for iPod connectivity.

Two-line radio/phone/iPod display is great, however is difficult to read with polarized glasses.

Better with every mile
By ShewbieDo

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and my only regret is that I waited this long to buy it. I think of it as a jewelbox: small and compact, but very well constructed. It's the perfect personal luxury car for those who like to drive. There's nothing flashy about it, other than the badge, yet it still gets looks. Although some of the controls appear counterintuitive at first, most of the driving-related controls are well thought out, and make sense after you understand the reason behind their design. I'm very pleased with the quietness and comfort for the front seats, although if you are a large/tall person, you might need to look at a 5- series. The back seats are for kids and people you don't like. Buy one!

Auto-dimming mirrors that really work. Styling. Puddle lamps under door handles. One-touch power windows on all 4 doors. Rain-sensing wipers. I never realized how loud my other car is until I got used to this one. Perfect package!

Auto HVAC workings are a mystery. The non-driving related controls (radio, ac, etc) feel a bit cheap for this class. A real cup-holder would be nice: think Honda. In sum, nothing that would prevent me from buying it again.

One Year w/335i sedan
By hellenist

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had my sedan for a year. It's my second BMW. The first was a 2002 325i. There is no comparison. I am not sure why I bought a second BMW, since my 325 was below average in reliability. My 2008 has been a pleasant surprise. Not one problem and it really does handle and drive light years better than the 325i. I tested the Audis and G35s but there really was no comparison. And now that gas prices are falling it's even better! No thanks to the hybrids.

Torque and power. Never had a car this smooth. It truly feels like I am driving the "older" 3M class.

Move the driver's cup holder such that a) the driver can use it and b) the knee of the passenger does not keep hitting it.

Definition of Sports Sedan
By vbrunst

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the car last week. Traded Porsche Cayenne base model. What a difference! Handling is superb. Very quiet and powerful. Much fun to drive. Superb nav system, easy to use. Bluetooth phone integration is very good and very useful. Have not pushed the car given that it is still being broken in. Pain finish is superb - silver metallic is a great choice. Did not like active steering - seems overly heavy. Glad my car does not have it. Enough road feel as is. car was delivered with two, hopefully, minor defects - driver's side heated seat control does not work and there is rattle around the steering column.

Handling, throttle response, quietness. Nav system. wish car had folding rear seats - mine did not have this option.

Cannot think of any - the car only has 255 miles!