2008 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
One Year w/335i sedan
By hellenist on 12/06/08 10:45 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had my sedan for a year. It's my second BMW. The first was a 2002 325i. There is no comparison. I am not sure why I bought a second BMW, since my 325 was below average in reliability. My 2008 has been a pleasant surprise. Not one problem and it really does handle and drive light years better than the 325i. I tested the Audis and G35s but there really was no comparison. And now that gas prices are falling it's even better! No thanks to the hybrids.

Definition of Sports Sedan
By vbrunst on 12/02/08 18:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the car last week. Traded Porsche Cayenne base model. What a difference! Handling is superb. Very quiet and powerful. Much fun to drive. Superb nav system, easy to use. Bluetooth phone integration is very good and very useful. Have not pushed the car given that it is still being broken in. Pain finish is superb - silver metallic is a great choice. Did not like active steering - seems overly heavy. Glad my car does not have it. Enough road feel as is. car was delivered with two, hopefully, minor defects - driver's side heated seat control does not work and there is rattle around the steering column.

3rd BMW and very happy - 335xi Coupe
By Satisfied Owner on 11/20/08 16:52 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Previously had 99 and 03 6-cylinder 5- series. Wanted a car that was roughly the same size and with 4-wheel drive. The Coupe fit the bill since I don't need the room for the family at this point in my life. I was hesitant about going to a 3-series from the 5ers but after 4K miles I am extremely happy with the car. Not one issue has brought me back to the dealer. Performance all around rocks. Stereo is great. I can even get 29+ MPG doing 70 MPH. Sport seats are a must. Customization of features and access to features such as the iPod interface are very good through the iDrive interface. And come on - this car is a GREAT looking - people even stare at it at night!

Still impressed
By Bill Botz on 11/07/08 08:21 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchase went smooth, did my homework, knew what i wanted. The most impressive thing about the car is the immediate torque gratification, and the amount of thought they put into the engineering aspects of the car - every aspect. I have still yet to find anything I dislike about the design and it has been 6 months! I absolutely love everything about it. One of those purchases that works out be more satisfying than anticipated long after. Not a cheap car, but a bargain for what you get.

Way Over Rated
By Nel Gately on 11/03/08 04:12 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Hard ride and lots of road noise. Also, I'm 6'1" and down right uncomfortable... too small! Also, lacks low end torque, sluggish around town but, wonderful on the highway. Temperamental too, been in for repairs 5 times first year. Run flat tires do not come with spare, can not be patched or, plugged and can only buy them from the dealer for $300 each, every time you run over a nail!!

Awesome
By Sig on 10/22/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I ordered the car. It has all the upgrades except iPod and nav system, instead I use a Garmin. Acceleration is fantastic, in any gear, any speed. On a recent 2,850 mile trip I averaged between 26.7 to 31.5mpg combined driving with hitting 115 mph occasionally. No problem with the run flats. Handling is superb. I had always wanted a Porsche, not anymore. This is all the car I want and need. Love the free maintenance for 4yrs/50000 miles, but 5 yrs/60000 miles would be even better. Have no complaints at all.

great car with little bugs
By car chic on 10/22/08 17:15 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car performs awesome. I love how tight the steering is but wish the ride was a little smoother. Being AWD you can take a turn so fast ( try those hairpin turns on the interstate) the car grips the road the entire time without slowing down!

it's ok - not the best.
By rad97 on 10/16/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just turned in an Audi S4 sedan for this 335xi sedan. Have been driving it for 4 months. After hearing about how great BMW is for it's superior "driving experience" I have been somewhat disappointed in this car. The steering and handling are average at best. The car does not corner well - there is significant body roll and the steering is not tight. I am not sure if this is due to the runflat tires or maybe I should have gotten the M3, but then no AWD. The engine is great, probably quicker off the line than my Audi, but not as strong once you're at speed and need to accelerate. The gas mileage is also good. The cup holders are a joke. The stereo/electronics are glitchy. Seats are bad.

Trophy Car
By BobH on 09/24/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Gas mileage on long trips (Pgh to DC and back) is 30 mpg (average over 10 trips, 29 one way, 31 the other)! All is well except for nav system and iDrive and their integration, and no spare. Get a Garmin instead of BMW nav system which is a Navtec base. Garmin says "In 500 ft make a rt on route 123 South" - if you use the Australian lady enunciation. Navtec says "make the next right". Garmin shows road names on perspective view, Navtec doesn't. iDrive requires too many actions for usage, and interupts other audio as it drones out it's directions. Also, I plan to replace RFTs with GFTs when they wear out and lug a spare around in the trunk.

Excellent 328i BMW 2008 4dr Sedan
By Luis Picornell on 09/14/08 22:55 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent handling, acceleration, and fuel economy. The iDrive control system takes a few days to master, but eventually becomes second nature and results in a very relaxing drive. Interior is properly designed. Quality shows inside and out. Well designed and tested interior materials. Standard sound system is great. Navigation system option should be selected if possible because of the iDrive system being included. One knob beside the right armrest is all you use to navigate through the options/music/nav/communication/climate, etc. Exterior looks beautiful. Folding mirrors are nice and the tires fit the wheel wells perfectly. I love this car!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 3 Series in VA is:

$130 per month*