Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Most Helpful|
The Benchmark: Best Car I've Ever Owned
By ctt335i

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

If you enjoy driving and see it as more than just getting from A to B but still want everyday usability and pay less than $50K, this is hands down the best car you'll ever own. Its power delivery is absolutely sublime and there's so much of it. This car does so many things well. It handles like it's on rails, balances ride quality with road feel, and delivers so much fun while doing it. I shopped several competitors including the IS350, G37, S4, and C350. Each of these cars had their high points but I always came back to the soul-stirring 335i. The run-flat tires are definitely the weakest point, offering great grip and reasonable tread-life, but somewhat unforgiving on rough surfaces

Favorite Features

Effortless power and tremendous low-end grunt. Balance balance balance in everything it does.

Suggested Improvements

I love the safety, weight reduction and handling performance of the run-flat tires, but wow they are stiff. The suspension rides a fine line between needed road-feel and harshness because of the rock-hard sidewalls. I'm anxiously awaiting the 3rd generation run-flat tires from Bridgestone as repl.

Wanted to Love It
By Automan

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted to love it. Took me a long time to finally settle on this car, should have gone with the G35x. Two fuel pumps replaced. Very expensive tires that seem to attract nails like magnets, and boy do they ride harshly. Dealer costs very high on parts and service. Small and cramped inside (I'm 6'2"). Love the handling and power. Very precise and tossable. Fun, even in the rain w/AWD. In the end, sold it after only a year and a month because I couldn't take it anymore. Lost $9k between repairs and sale of car. Even warned the guy that bought it off me that it was costly to own. Just to be fair, the car had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and I sold it with 57,000.

Favorite Features

Power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, interior needs to be a little bigger. And get rid of super- expensive run flat tires.

Officially a BMW loyalist
By BTTampa

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Never understood the BMW fans out there until I got mine. I used to trade in my car every couple years, I've had this one for 3 years and still get excited to go out and drive it. It just rides and drives different than any car I have had before. You really feel like you "know" this car, and it "knows" you. The handling is incredible, fuel economy is very good on the highway, and it still gets stares from others. As with many German cars, its had a few electrical glitches, but the warranty covers everything and its been a couple minor inconveniences more than anything else. And to include all routine service for free for 4 years?? You more than get your money's worth with this car!

Favorite Features

The handling, acceleration, exterior style, the halo lights around the headlights, sound system (stock is perfect))

Suggested Improvements

get those cup holders off the dash and back down in the center console. Make the ipod interface a little easier to navigate. Why isn't leather standard in a $35k+ car?

Dream Car
By tinbmore

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 335xi for almost 2 years. (6 speed manual, platinum bronze metallic, cw package, adaptivelights) It has 44K miles and my total maintenance cost has been an oil changes, a set of tires and a set of spark plugs (turbo needs them replaced at 45K mi). Agree with other posters, this just a downright FAST car. High speed merge, no problem, pop it down into 3rd and "engage".

Favorite Features

Nav is greatly superior to japanese designs. ipod control is sweet. AWD has never sliped in icy conditions, 8 way seats with lumbar and heat can't be beat. Auto windows down feature is great for people like me who prefer open windows and sunroof to A/C. Saw other poster comlain about trunk space, I carry a golf pull cart, golf bag, storage box, two pairs of golf shoes and more and have no problems. Fold down rear seats are cool too.

Suggested Improvements

Still don't know how to save radio stations. Minimal interior storage areas (I even replaced the ash tray with available sunglass storage tray) Pet peeves:Voice recongnition cue takes too long after it asks you a question, I'm constantly talking to it before it is listening. And here a real nit pick: The doors make really tinny sound when you shut them. My E46 had a more luxurious "thunk" sound.

Runflat tires
By Rob Nesbitt

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As you can see above, I like the car. That said, I feel the dealers take advantage of the customer. This is a lease, and I need their approved service. They charged by $309 for a wheel alignment which could have been sold with poor alignment. Who's to know. Also, I was charged $483.00 for a tire replacement (simple nail). This is outrageous. According to the dealer, run-flats cannot be repaired. Again, I was stuck with the dealer recommendation. Run-flats are a poor excuse for "saving" the weight of a spare and "peace of mind" to be able to go 50 miles at 50mph (try that on an L.A. freeway). One must use secondary roads if one does not want to get rear- ended.

Favorite Features

Handling, speed and mileage (30 on the highway).

Suggested Improvements

Dump the run-flats. $2,500.00 for a set of new tires is outrageous. $309 for an alignment is outrageous. All service outside of "free" service is "outrageous".