Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2008 BMW 335i
By Jimmy

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Originally, the 335i was fun to drive. It was quiet, quick, and fun. At 4,000 miles, the high pressure fuel pump failed, showing engine malfunction readings. All work was of course covered by BMW. Again, at 14,000 miles, the second high pressure fuel pump failed. The car now has 40,000 and is on its 3rd pump. Since replacement of the original, the car has less power, vibrates, and has an obvious computerized issue where the tight steering feel comes and goes. With repeated visits to the dealer, I am continuously told there are no found issues.

IDrive, for sure is the best feature on the car, with the integrated iPod controls. The exterior sleek styling is also what got my initial attention of this car. As for any BMW, the drive (handling and stability) is amazing.

The inline 6 twin turbo engine needs to be revamped in order to resolve its high pressure fuel pump issues.

Smoke under the hood
By pepper

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have only had this car 5 month, the car smokes under the hood. I was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They put quart of oil in and that didn't help. The BMW only had 9308 miles when purchased, now only 14528. I paid about 36000 with warranty. I assumed I was getting a good deal. Never had a car to be in the shop that soon. Beautiful car but...

The car has a good body build inside and out.

Great car, fun to drive, best AWD
By Mikhail

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I admit the mileage is not the best - but I have 30+ on a highway @ 75 mph or 23-25 mpg @ 100 mph. AWD is extremely good - can so easily go through 10 inches of snow on the parking lot or 5 inches snow uphill to ski areas. Very comfortable car especially comparing to new Subarus, Toyotas and Nissans. 4 times made 1200 mi in one day stopping only for refuel and hardly had any back pain where as Subaru imp-za made me sick after 700 mi. Overall excellent car, very impressed! Change of razor-bladed runflat tire for me was 286$.

Great performance (though should've take 335!), very quite even @ 130 mph, excellent AWD, good mph (25+ mixed, 30+ highways) if driving not hard. Love DS selection on 6-steptronic for hard sport and manual for easy driving. Seats heat up in seconds - very good in winter.

With polarized sun glasses can not see radio screen! Stupid. Manual adjustment of steering wheel (on the car for 40+k$). Run flat became little noisy after 25K mi and very expensive to change (though cheap to repair ~ 70$ if a simple nail).

Not Impressed
By BMWOwner

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had four Audi A4 sedans for the last six years. I purchased a BMW, hoping for the same or better performance. I'm not impressed. The transmission is sluggish, jerking around corners when accelerating (tech says it's normal), run-flat tires and NO SPARE and the tires are not good, the value for the money isn't there and not sure what the buzz about BMW is. I can't wait to trade this one for another Audi!

Style, iPod adapter, quiet cabin.

More value for the money, go back to spare tires, fix transmission!

Runflat tires
By Rob Nesbitt

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As you can see above, I like the car. That said, I feel the dealers take advantage of the customer. This is a lease, and I need their approved service. They charged by $309 for a wheel alignment which could have been sold with poor alignment. Who's to know. Also, I was charged $483.00 for a tire replacement (simple nail). This is outrageous. According to the dealer, run-flats cannot be repaired. Again, I was stuck with the dealer recommendation. Run-flats are a poor excuse for "saving" the weight of a spare and "peace of mind" to be able to go 50 miles at 50mph (try that on an L.A. freeway). One must use secondary roads if one does not want to get rear- ended.

Handling, speed and mileage (30 on the highway).

Dump the run-flats. $2,500.00 for a set of new tires is outrageous. $309 for an alignment is outrageous. All service outside of "free" service is "outrageous".