Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

335i is great when it runs
By Bimmer

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my cpo BMW 335i last year with only 2,800 miles on it. What a great and fun to drive car. However, I start to have cold start up problem after 1 yr and 2 mo. Took it to dealer last week. They reprogrammed the car got it back in two days. Ran great over the weekend. Today, I have no power. After doing some research, this car has problem with its high pressure fuel pump. Called dealer today and they will provide free rental and replace the fuel pump. However, many blogger claim that replacement pump won't solve the problem. We'll see. I can't recommend this car at this point.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, smart entry, sport seats, brakes, engine (when its running right)

Suggested Improvements

Redesign replacement high pressure fuel pump. Current replacement doesn't seem to cure the reoccurring problem. See various blogs

ULTIMO Commuter Sedan
By k9doc1

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had the car for more than an year and have had ZERO mechanical issue. Only problem I had was with a ticking noise from the b-pillar but it mysteriously disappeared after the dealer replaced the seat belt mechanism. The fit and mechanics in today's BMW are so intricate that just a small thing out of balance will cause some annoying thing like a ticking noise. Various dealers tried to deal with this noise but nothing resolved it until the solution listed above, again the noise was there immediately after the repair but now it's not there anymore. Something must have expanded inside the b-pillar or fit into place? Now I can truly/fully enjoy my Ultimate Driving Machine!

Favorite Features

Awesome pick up. AWD-capabilities in wet and snowy conditions. Heated seats. Awesome handling and braking. 4-year hassle-free maintenance program- this is truly awesome!

Suggested Improvements

More user-friendly Nav system - which may already be improved in the new iDrive systems? Better mileage - which is available on the new 335D. No other improvements I can think of.

Great performance...
By jjtoronto

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

A very well engineered and well thought out car. The engine is sublime - almost too powerful for most uses, but nice to have that kind of acceleration on the highway. The all wheel drive works well, however i wonder if four snow tires would work just as well without the loss in mileage. Seats are comfortable, but keep in mind that it is a smaller car - and meant to be a sports sedan.

Favorite Features

Engine! Driving feel and dynamics.

Suggested Improvements

Run flat tires are better than my older model 3 series, but they still have too much of a penalty in terms of ride quality over rougher payment. Gas mileage in city is not great (probably AWD) but is very respectable on highway.

After 3 years of ownership
By AD from LA

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car in early 2008 and still look back every time I walk away from it. I have a white 328 coupe optioned with auto transmission, sports package, and ipod connections so it's pretty bare bones. Over the years I've received numerous comments and I think the design is classic BMW. I didn't test drive other competing cars and after renting the Benz, Lexus, and Infiniti I don't regret the purchase at all. The overall interior build quality, telepathic steering, excellent handling, and covered warranty/maintenance make this an excellent purchase. After almost three years, I've made a few visits to the dealer to fix interior trims (all covered by warranty), nothing mechanical.

Favorite Features

Ipod, timeless exterior design, sports package rims, thick steering wheel, gray poplar wood interim trim, roomy back seat, rear folding backseat, maintenance/warranty for 4 yrs/50k miles, excellent interior build quality, dual climate control system

Suggested Improvements

Make power seats and leather seating surfaces standard, get rid of the RFT tires in favor regular that would make the ride less harsh

Picking right options is key
By JThom

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently bought used 328i, auto, prem package. I drove a 335i w prem and almost bought a 328i w sport package, manual trans (drove it for several days). My thoughts: forget the sport package unless you have lots of open road for high speed cornering etc. The standard suspension is very good & sporty enough for most of us - and the ride is noticeably better. 335i is overkill (and unreliable it seems) - the 328 is actually very fast. Also, 6-sp manual is a bit clunky and auto is very good (esp when shifted manually). Finally I do not have run- flats; got the M Mobility pump and sealer instead. Thought I had to have sport and manual, but am much happier with standard suspension and auto.

Favorite Features

Smooth, powerful engine; very good (and sporty) handling, good ride; quality interior w lots of features, solid build; good gas mileage; car is right size (though has gotten a bit wider) - most other premium sport sedans seem to keep getting bigger, and bigger. Overall a most excellent automobile.

Suggested Improvements

Should have in-dash CD changer and a place for small spare tire; needs a sport setting for transmission. Wheels are uninspired at best, ugly at worst and exterior styling could be better.