2008 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Phenomenal Ride
By Matt V on 05/13/09 08:21 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I don't know that I'll ever go back. The car is firm, responsive, and powerful despite it being the low-man on the totem pole compared to the 335i and M3. Plenty of room (I'm 6'4") and an achievable purchase at slightly less than $30k.

Dissapointed
By disappointed on 04/11/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 328xi sport coupe after previously owning 2 Audi TTs. The worst feature is the run flat tires. Ride is very harsh and the $300+ to replace is outrageous. Ruined one in the first 300 miles on an Interstate pothole. Had to drive 150 miles @ 50 MPH. At least it lasted more than the advertised 50 mi. The odometer and speedometer are 6-7% high (that's worth about $400 on a 30,000 mile lease). Poor design 12V port in center storage area is in a position that won't allow the lid to close when any of my eqpt plugs are inserted. Gas mileage is poor. Lucky to get 18 MPG even on Interstate. TT with DSG got >25 MPG, weighed about the same and was quicker. 328 automatic is crude compared to Audi.

Noisey at Highway Speeds.
By Ashley on 04/11/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car handles well, especially around corners. The interior looks good. The noise from the engine/muffler seems too loud at highway speeds and I can't read the radio dial with polarized sun glasses.

Great Car
By WLoca on 03/21/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 335xi after my 1999 Volvo S80 T6 died after 300,000 miles. The engine, transmission, and drivetrain are more connected than any competitive model tested. The steering is precise and it a blast to drive. I still smile when I hear it's subtle exhaust note when I start it in the morning. The AWD system is very good in all conditions but the run flat tires are not designed for snow. They were OK in winter #1 but will invest in snows next fall. My biggest challenge has been reliability. They had to replace the front wheel bearings at 14K miles and I broke down at 17K miles and had to be towed to the dealership to replace the fuel pump and repair an oil pan leak. Not what I expected.

Exceeded Expectations
By S. Lash on 02/22/09 14:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car has been everything I expected and more. There is no other car in this price range that has the combination of handling, performance and overall design appeal. I ordered a 6 speed with white exterior/red interior and aluminum trim; it is stunning in my opinion and draws attention everywhere I go. While the 328 does not have the overall power of the 335, it provides just as much enjoyment as an everyday car. The X- drive handles snow and rain providing a secure feeling on par with Audi's I have owned previously. I look forward to driving every time I get into the car... it is more than transportation, it is a joy to drive.

Perfect!
By cgpublic on 01/19/09 11:48 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

No regrets in choosing the sweet sounding naturally aspirated I6 over the turbo - plenty of acceleration throughout the power band matched to exceptional road feel. The GM 6-speed transmission is not as refined as the ZF, but still head and shoulders over any other auto that I have owned. DS mode and paddles provide plenty of flexibility and fun. AWD is sure-footed in rain and snow, and the xi is the perfect match for urban/suburban roads. 8K well-spent in options (ZPP, ZSP, Xenon, CA, iPod, Heated Seats, Metallic Paint). Phenomenal build quality with no issues to date - just a smile every minute behind the wheel!

It IS the Ultimate Driving Machine
By davids on 01/01/09 07:35 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned the vehicle for a year, although I'm storing it for the winter, and couldn't love it more. The performance and handling are outstanding (unless you try to drive in 1/2" of snow with the Sports Package). If you really want to have fun with it I highly recommend installing the Dinan Performance Engine Software upgrade. For $2k you can increase the power output to 384hp and the torque to 421lb-ft (and Dinan will match BMW's new car warranty). It's no M but honestly it's plenty fast and nimble for quite a bit less cash. It's sporty and fun when you want it to be yet still smooth and refined.

I'm lovin' it
By BMW in SF on 12/22/08 18:10 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought this car a couple of weeks ago after owning an 1982 280ZX and a 2003 MR2 in the last three years (long story). Anyway, apart from being the most fantastic car I've ever bought, the 335 is probably the best purchase of anything I've ever made. I love it. The performance is amazing, the ride feel is great, the interior is beautiful. Makes my commute to work something to look forward to instead of something to dread. If you love to drive, this is the car for you. Puts a smile on my face every day.

Better with every mile
By ShewbieDo on 12/17/08 05:27 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and my only regret is that I waited this long to buy it. I think of it as a jewelbox: small and compact, but very well constructed. It's the perfect personal luxury car for those who like to drive. There's nothing flashy about it, other than the badge, yet it still gets looks. Although some of the controls appear counterintuitive at first, most of the driving-related controls are well thought out, and make sense after you understand the reason behind their design. I'm very pleased with the quietness and comfort for the front seats, although if you are a large/tall person, you might need to look at a 5- series. The back seats are for kids and people you don't like. Buy one!

Could hardly be happier
By byron on 12/07/08 10:21 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drives like an extension of your body. Top down wind and noise amazingly low and climate control allows you to drive topless in anything but rain. Controls typically Teutonic and not intuitive. Will run decently on less than premium but idle roughens. Love the turning headlights - great on windy roads at night and illumination overall is outstanding. Great highway mileage. Top tends to hang up after being driven with it closed for while, but close/open switch operation allows it to open fine.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.