2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Great Car
By WLoca on 03/21/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 335xi after my 1999 Volvo S80 T6 died after 300,000 miles. The engine, transmission, and drivetrain are more connected than any competitive model tested. The steering is precise and it a blast to drive. I still smile when I hear it's subtle exhaust note when I start it in the morning. The AWD system is very good in all conditions but the run flat tires are not designed for snow. They were OK in winter #1 but will invest in snows next fall. My biggest challenge has been reliability. They had to replace the front wheel bearings at 14K miles and I broke down at 17K miles and had to be towed to the dealership to replace the fuel pump and repair an oil pan leak. Not what I expected.

Perfect!
By cgpublic on 01/19/09 11:48 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

No regrets in choosing the sweet sounding naturally aspirated I6 over the turbo - plenty of acceleration throughout the power band matched to exceptional road feel. The GM 6-speed transmission is not as refined as the ZF, but still head and shoulders over any other auto that I have owned. DS mode and paddles provide plenty of flexibility and fun. AWD is sure-footed in rain and snow, and the xi is the perfect match for urban/suburban roads. 8K well-spent in options (ZPP, ZSP, Xenon, CA, iPod, Heated Seats, Metallic Paint). Phenomenal build quality with no issues to date - just a smile every minute behind the wheel!

Better with every mile
By ShewbieDo on 12/17/08 05:27 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and my only regret is that I waited this long to buy it. I think of it as a jewelbox: small and compact, but very well constructed. It's the perfect personal luxury car for those who like to drive. There's nothing flashy about it, other than the badge, yet it still gets looks. Although some of the controls appear counterintuitive at first, most of the driving-related controls are well thought out, and make sense after you understand the reason behind their design. I'm very pleased with the quietness and comfort for the front seats, although if you are a large/tall person, you might need to look at a 5- series. The back seats are for kids and people you don't like. Buy one!

One Year w/335i sedan
By hellenist on 12/06/08 10:45 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had my sedan for a year. It's my second BMW. The first was a 2002 325i. There is no comparison. I am not sure why I bought a second BMW, since my 325 was below average in reliability. My 2008 has been a pleasant surprise. Not one problem and it really does handle and drive light years better than the 325i. I tested the Audis and G35s but there really was no comparison. And now that gas prices are falling it's even better! No thanks to the hybrids.

Definition of Sports Sedan
By vbrunst on 12/02/08 18:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the car last week. Traded Porsche Cayenne base model. What a difference! Handling is superb. Very quiet and powerful. Much fun to drive. Superb nav system, easy to use. Bluetooth phone integration is very good and very useful. Have not pushed the car given that it is still being broken in. Pain finish is superb - silver metallic is a great choice. Did not like active steering - seems overly heavy. Glad my car does not have it. Enough road feel as is. car was delivered with two, hopefully, minor defects - driver's side heated seat control does not work and there is rattle around the steering column.

Way Over Rated
By Nel Gately on 11/03/08 04:12 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Hard ride and lots of road noise. Also, I'm 6'1" and down right uncomfortable... too small! Also, lacks low end torque, sluggish around town but, wonderful on the highway. Temperamental too, been in for repairs 5 times first year. Run flat tires do not come with spare, can not be patched or, plugged and can only buy them from the dealer for $300 each, every time you run over a nail!!

great car with little bugs
By car chic on 10/22/08 17:15 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car performs awesome. I love how tight the steering is but wish the ride was a little smoother. Being AWD you can take a turn so fast ( try those hairpin turns on the interstate) the car grips the road the entire time without slowing down!

it's ok - not the best.
By rad97 on 10/16/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just turned in an Audi S4 sedan for this 335xi sedan. Have been driving it for 4 months. After hearing about how great BMW is for it's superior "driving experience" I have been somewhat disappointed in this car. The steering and handling are average at best. The car does not corner well - there is significant body roll and the steering is not tight. I am not sure if this is due to the runflat tires or maybe I should have gotten the M3, but then no AWD. The engine is great, probably quicker off the line than my Audi, but not as strong once you're at speed and need to accelerate. The gas mileage is also good. The cup holders are a joke. The stereo/electronics are glitchy. Seats are bad.

Trophy Car
By BobH on 09/24/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Gas mileage on long trips (Pgh to DC and back) is 30 mpg (average over 10 trips, 29 one way, 31 the other)! All is well except for nav system and iDrive and their integration, and no spare. Get a Garmin instead of BMW nav system which is a Navtec base. Garmin says "In 500 ft make a rt on route 123 South" - if you use the Australian lady enunciation. Navtec says "make the next right". Garmin shows road names on perspective view, Navtec doesn't. iDrive requires too many actions for usage, and interupts other audio as it drones out it's directions. Also, I plan to replace RFTs with GFTs when they wear out and lug a spare around in the trunk.

Excellent 328i BMW 2008 4dr Sedan
By Luis Picornell on 09/14/08 22:55 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent handling, acceleration, and fuel economy. The iDrive control system takes a few days to master, but eventually becomes second nature and results in a very relaxing drive. Interior is properly designed. Quality shows inside and out. Well designed and tested interior materials. Standard sound system is great. Navigation system option should be selected if possible because of the iDrive system being included. One knob beside the right armrest is all you use to navigate through the options/music/nav/communication/climate, etc. Exterior looks beautiful. Folding mirrors are nice and the tires fit the wheel wells perfectly. I love this car!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.