Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Expensive but reliable
By del21

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car in October 2007 with 2 miles on it. I have had it to the shop 1 time for a stero fuse that went back and was replaced under the warrant. I replaced the run flat tires with regular tires ($70 dollar Pirelli's from Discount Tire) and it made no change in it's performance, "repeat, no change in performance after i had run the original tires on Nitrogen for 39000 miles. Nitrogen makes the difference in tires, trust me. The car now has 53000 miles and it still runs great. The only notable annoyance it that the timing clicks and has clicked since about 8000 miles but it is of no harm to the engine. I get the oil changed once a year for about $80, not at the dealership. Great car.

Performance Reliablity Luxury Appearance

Take the run flat tires off and put regular tires on all vehicles. These tires are to expensive.

Run Flats ruin the ride
By jdlewis95

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been buying BMW's since 1994, and this is one of the best models that BMW has ever built. BUT BMW ruined it with those horrid run-flat tires. The smallest of bumps make the car
shake because the run flats are so hard. I've bent the front rims 4 times in 3 years so bad that the steering wheel shimmied like crazy. When BMW starts building cars with the Sport Package without the run-flat tires, the I will buy BMW again. The fuel pump went out at 30K and BMW replaced it, no problems. The run-flat tires ruin the ride, so I have put BMW "on-hold".

I-Drive control, blue tooth, auto door opener, everything but the run flats

Get rid of the run flat tires.

The best car I have ever owned
By dave346

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. The handling is better than any car I have ever driven. Great gas mileage. Very reliable. Powerful smooth engine. Fun and safe car. I understand why this is the benchmark.

Handling, smooth power, gas mileage, the tight steering wheel feel.

Better cup holders.

Fun to drive when not in shop
By soccerprnt

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved it when new.
After 45000 miles I wish I had never heard of BMW.

This car is continually having issues.
It started with the antilock brake light coming on intermittently, about once a month.
It was at the dealers at least 4 times for this before the problem was finally fixed.
Similar problem with engine light coming
3 visits to fix this. Recently my clock has been clearing the time. Engine now stalling out occasionally while I am driving the car.
Happens after driving from a few hundred feet to about a mile after I have begun driving it.
Extremely dangerous.

Diagnosed bad battery .
Not covered under warrenty. They also did a programming update on the engine.

Handles great. Fun car to drive

Needs to have a better charging system. My battery died in 3 years and it is not covered under maintenance and warranty because this car is not driven once a day at least 10 highway miles in one trip. Never mind that I drive about 4 miles to work every day and take a 80 mile (both ways) trip once a week with it (44,000 miles over 3 years). Tires need to last longer than 12,000 miles. The reliability in general needs considerable work. I know that this car would be higher maintenance than my old Honda, however, I never expected the reliability to be so bad. The above does not include anywhere near all of the issues I have had with this car.

Officially a BMW loyalist
By BTTampa

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Never understood the BMW fans out there until I got mine. I used to trade in my car every couple years, I've had this one for 3 years and still get excited to go out and drive it. It just rides and drives different than any car I have had before. You really feel like you "know" this car, and it "knows" you. The handling is incredible, fuel economy is very good on the highway, and it still gets stares from others. As with many German cars, its had a few electrical glitches, but the warranty covers everything and its been a couple minor inconveniences more than anything else. And to include all routine service for free for 4 years?? You more than get your money's worth with this car!

The handling, acceleration, exterior style, the halo lights around the headlights, sound system (stock is perfect))

get those cup holders off the dash and back down in the center console. Make the ipod interface a little easier to navigate. Why isn't leather standard in a $35k+ car?