Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Wanted to Love It
By Automan

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted to love it. Took me a long time to finally settle on this car, should have gone with the G35x. Two fuel pumps replaced. Very expensive tires that seem to attract nails like magnets, and boy do they ride harshly. Dealer costs very high on parts and service. Small and cramped inside (I'm 6'2"). Love the handling and power. Very precise and tossable. Fun, even in the rain w/AWD. In the end, sold it after only a year and a month because I couldn't take it anymore. Lost $9k between repairs and sale of car. Even warned the guy that bought it off me that it was costly to own. Just to be fair, the car had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and I sold it with 57,000.

Favorite Features

Power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, interior needs to be a little bigger. And get rid of super- expensive run flat tires.

Fuel Injection Problems
By steve

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car was in the shop every 3 months for the 3 years that I leased the car. They cannot reliably repair the fuel injection defect. Top speed of 25 mph when the fuel injection system goes down. Very dangerous car on the highway with this chronic issue. BMW not compassionate with problems. They will repair but no responsibility. They should publicly warn about their defect in this car. They should offer incentives to turn in the car. I turned the car in 2 months early for the safety issues and they expected me to pay a fine. Will never buy BMW again.

Favorite Features

driving top speed 25 mph on the highway in front of a semi coming at me at 80 mph.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the BMW 335 until they can reliably fix the fuel injection system

The Benchmark: Best Car I've Ever Owned
By ctt335i

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

If you enjoy driving and see it as more than just getting from A to B but still want everyday usability and pay less than $50K, this is hands down the best car you'll ever own. Its power delivery is absolutely sublime and there's so much of it. This car does so many things well. It handles like it's on rails, balances ride quality with road feel, and delivers so much fun while doing it. I shopped several competitors including the IS350, G37, S4, and C350. Each of these cars had their high points but I always came back to the soul-stirring 335i. The run-flat tires are definitely the weakest point, offering great grip and reasonable tread-life, but somewhat unforgiving on rough surfaces

Favorite Features

Effortless power and tremendous low-end grunt. Balance balance balance in everything it does.

Suggested Improvements

I love the safety, weight reduction and handling performance of the run-flat tires, but wow they are stiff. The suspension rides a fine line between needed road-feel and harshness because of the rock-hard sidewalls. I'm anxiously awaiting the 3rd generation run-flat tires from Bridgestone as repl.

Fun Car!
By Jay from Jersey

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in '04 Lexus ES330 for a used '08 328xi. Lexus is definitely more comfortable with better build quality. BMW is much more fun to drive. Driving in Sport mode is fun, driving in Manual is ridiculously fun. Haven't had to do any repairs, but 4 new Continental Pros cost over $1,000. Seats are okay, can get uncomfortable over a long drive. Complaints: cup holders are useless if you have a large front seat passenger, headlights aren't that bright, side view mirrors are too small, brake dust. If Lexus made a more competitive, sportier car (IS models don't cut it for me) I would go with them, but for now I'm enjoying the BMW experience.

Favorite Features

Manual mode, speed, Ipod, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Brake dust, side view mirrors, brighter headlights, more comfortable seating position.

BMW 335
By Jasmin

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car in Dec 2008 with 12,000 miles, CPO . Four times within 17 months, it was sent to the dealer for engine lights turned on. Not very reliable. Fuel pump was replaced three times within 17 months.