2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews 4

2008 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
BMW 328 coupe
By jim on 12/19/09 21:21 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got coupe 328 with auto, prem. and sport package. Car is great but hate run flat tires. Wake up BMW and get rid of those lousy expensive tires. This car deserves better.

Broken at 2k on the side of the road
By ruf on 12/07/09 01:21 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I hate to say I paid 52k to be broken down on the side of the road at 2k miles. I am on my 2nd fuel pump as of last week, tonight 12/7/09 on the side of the road no oil in the motor. I could have driven, but the i drive oil light blinked red and told me to stop driving. The car is only good for wondering where and when I will be broken down next. I had the car in the shop for electrical problems for two weeks. Its not maintenance free if you have to be on the side of the road as much as I have been. If the reliability is bad then the build quality is just as bad. 3rd BMW and last one, I can't do this to myself anymore.

Would have been great, but...
By ChiefBigTalker on 12/01/09 17:39 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is nearly a great car. Fast. Handles well. Looks great. Sounds great. The retracting top is a thing of beauty. But it isn't as reliable as my old Alfa Romeo. Run flat tires are fragile; I've had to replace four of them in two years. I can deal with the somewhat harsh ride, but the huge expense and inconvenience has taught me never to buy another car with run flats. The fuel injection system broke down, taking the car out of commission for several days. Seats rattle. The cable connecting the ipod to the sound system is poor, and despite replacement still cuts out a channel from time to time. iDrive isn't that bad; lose the run flats, make it reliable, and it would be great.

Great car, fun to drive, best AWD
By Mikhail on 11/19/09 12:47 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I admit the mileage is not the best - but I have 30+ on a highway @ 75 mph or 23-25 mpg @ 100 mph. AWD is extremely good - can so easily go through 10 inches of snow on the parking lot or 5 inches snow uphill to ski areas. Very comfortable car especially comparing to new Subarus, Toyotas and Nissans. 4 times made 1200 mi in one day stopping only for refuel and hardly had any back pain where as Subaru imp-za made me sick after 700 mi. Overall excellent car, very impressed! Change of razor-bladed runflat tire for me was 286$.

Not Impressed
By BMWOwner on 10/29/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had four Audi A4 sedans for the last six years. I purchased a BMW, hoping for the same or better performance. I'm not impressed. The transmission is sluggish, jerking around corners when accelerating (tech says it's normal), run-flat tires and NO SPARE and the tires are not good, the value for the money isn't there and not sure what the buzz about BMW is. I can't wait to trade this one for another Audi!

Good to drive, but service is tough
By AT on 09/25/09 17:17 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I ordered my car a few years ago and for the most part have really liked it with a few caveats. Its been driven to Montana in the snow and handled Seattle snow-pocolypse '09 with flying colors. I think it handles better in the snow than my previous subarus. The caveats: The fuel pump has been replaced twice due to factory flaw (warranty repair) and this series of car has consistent issues with the brakes making noise as you take off (not under braking). BMW currently will not fix it. The service experience has me re-thinking the car. I may go to something smaller and slightly more fuel efficient for commuting. It wouldn't be an issue if I bought a truck, but this is a BMW. I expected more.

Runflat tires
By Rob Nesbitt on 08/29/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As you can see above, I like the car. That said, I feel the dealers take advantage of the customer. This is a lease, and I need their approved service. They charged by $309 for a wheel alignment which could have been sold with poor alignment. Who's to know. Also, I was charged $483.00 for a tire replacement (simple nail). This is outrageous. According to the dealer, run-flats cannot be repaired. Again, I was stuck with the dealer recommendation. Run-flats are a poor excuse for "saving" the weight of a spare and "peace of mind" to be able to go 50 miles at 50mph (try that on an L.A. freeway). One must use secondary roads if one does not want to get rear- ended.

A Great Car (328i)
By Prof T on 08/17/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

For the money this is one great car. Excellent performance for a 4dr sedan that gets around 23MPG. Smooth ride and lots of quality inside. Would buy this car again.

High cost, low driving satisfaction
By BB on 08/12/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Nicely appointed car with the driving excitement of a mid 90's Ford Taurus. 6 speed shiftable automatic transmission is rough in automatic modes and sluggish when shifted with paddles. Handling gives little road feel, and the car does very poorly on wet roads. Excessive road noise at highway speeds with original run-flat tires. BMW has managed to engineer the fun out of this very quick sedan. Gas mileage on premium is poor. Driver comfort with sport seats is very good, but the front passenger seat is cramped for an average adult. Many of the car's electronic features work only on an intermittent basis. The car is a real disappointment at $50K+ fully equipped.

Nice RIde
By TRC on 07/26/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Hands down the best car I've ever driven. Bought this car new almost 2 years ago. Still loving it and I'm averaging 24.2 MPG! (and I drive it hard). Had a few minor electrical issues that have been fixed for free, but I'm a bit nervous about the cost after the warranty expires. Definitely a small car though and not ideal for families if this is your primary ride. Run flats are stupid, but I've had no problems with mine. AWD in the winter is insane!