2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
The best car I have ever owned
By dave346 on 02/21/11 15:25 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. The handling is better than any car I have ever driven. Great gas mileage. Very reliable. Powerful smooth engine. Fun and safe car. I understand why this is the benchmark.

Fun to drive when not in shop
By soccerprnt on 12/29/10 10:13 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved it when new. After 45000 miles I wish I had never heard of BMW. This car is continually having issues. It started with the antilock brake light coming on intermittently, about once a month. It was at the dealers at least 4 times for this before the problem was finally fixed. Similar problem with engine light coming 3 visits to fix this. Recently my clock has been clearing the time. Engine now stalling out occasionally while I am driving the car. Happens after driving from a few hundred feet to about a mile after I have begun driving it. Extremely dangerous. Diagnosed bad battery . Not covered under warrenty. They also did a programming update on the engine.

Officially a BMW loyalist
By BTTampa on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Never understood the BMW fans out there until I got mine. I used to trade in my car every couple years, I've had this one for 3 years and still get excited to go out and drive it. It just rides and drives different than any car I have had before. You really feel like you "know" this car, and it "knows" you. The handling is incredible, fuel economy is very good on the highway, and it still gets stares from others. As with many German cars, its had a few electrical glitches, but the warranty covers everything and its been a couple minor inconveniences more than anything else. And to include all routine service for free for 4 years?? You more than get your money's worth with this car!

Wanted to Love It
By Automan on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted to love it. Took me a long time to finally settle on this car, should have gone with the G35x. Two fuel pumps replaced. Very expensive tires that seem to attract nails like magnets, and boy do they ride harshly. Dealer costs very high on parts and service. Small and cramped inside (I'm 6'2"). Love the handling and power. Very precise and tossable. Fun, even in the rain w/AWD. In the end, sold it after only a year and a month because I couldn't take it anymore. Lost $9k between repairs and sale of car. Even warned the guy that bought it off me that it was costly to own. Just to be fair, the car had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and I sold it with 57,000.

The Benchmark: Best Car I've Ever Owned
By ctt335i on 08/11/10 13:31 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

If you enjoy driving and see it as more than just getting from A to B but still want everyday usability and pay less than $50K, this is hands down the best car you'll ever own. Its power delivery is absolutely sublime and there's so much of it. This car does so many things well. It handles like it's on rails, balances ride quality with road feel, and delivers so much fun while doing it. I shopped several competitors including the IS350, G37, S4, and C350. Each of these cars had their high points but I always came back to the soul-stirring 335i. The run-flat tires are definitely the weakest point, offering great grip and reasonable tread-life, but somewhat unforgiving on rough surfaces

Fun Car!
By Jay from Jersey on 08/05/10 05:38 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in '04 Lexus ES330 for a used '08 328xi. Lexus is definitely more comfortable with better build quality. BMW is much more fun to drive. Driving in Sport mode is fun, driving in Manual is ridiculously fun. Haven't had to do any repairs, but 4 new Continental Pros cost over $1,000. Seats are okay, can get uncomfortable over a long drive. Complaints: cup holders are useless if you have a large front seat passenger, headlights aren't that bright, side view mirrors are too small, brake dust. If Lexus made a more competitive, sportier car (IS models don't cut it for me) I would go with them, but for now I'm enjoying the BMW experience.

335i is great when it runs
By Bimmer on 06/21/10 21:17 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my cpo BMW 335i last year with only 2,800 miles on it. What a great and fun to drive car. However, I start to have cold start up problem after 1 yr and 2 mo. Took it to dealer last week. They reprogrammed the car got it back in two days. Ran great over the weekend. Today, I have no power. After doing some research, this car has problem with its high pressure fuel pump. Called dealer today and they will provide free rental and replace the fuel pump. However, many blogger claim that replacement pump won't solve the problem. We'll see. I can't recommend this car at this point.

ULTIMO Commuter Sedan
By k9doc1 on 06/04/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had the car for more than an year and have had ZERO mechanical issue. Only problem I had was with a ticking noise from the b-pillar but it mysteriously disappeared after the dealer replaced the seat belt mechanism. The fit and mechanics in today's BMW are so intricate that just a small thing out of balance will cause some annoying thing like a ticking noise. Various dealers tried to deal with this noise but nothing resolved it until the solution listed above, again the noise was there immediately after the repair but now it's not there anymore. Something must have expanded inside the b-pillar or fit into place? Now I can truly/fully enjoy my Ultimate Driving Machine!

Great performance...
By jjtoronto on 05/09/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

A very well engineered and well thought out car. The engine is sublime - almost too powerful for most uses, but nice to have that kind of acceleration on the highway. The all wheel drive works well, however i wonder if four snow tires would work just as well without the loss in mileage. Seats are comfortable, but keep in mind that it is a smaller car - and meant to be a sports sedan.

Picking right options is key
By JThom on 03/28/10 20:39 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently bought used 328i, auto, prem package. I drove a 335i w prem and almost bought a 328i w sport package, manual trans (drove it for several days). My thoughts: forget the sport package unless you have lots of open road for high speed cornering etc. The standard suspension is very good & sporty enough for most of us - and the ride is noticeably better. 335i is overkill (and unreliable it seems) - the 328 is actually very fast. Also, 6-sp manual is a bit clunky and auto is very good (esp when shifted manually). Finally I do not have run- flats; got the M Mobility pump and sealer instead. Thought I had to have sport and manual, but am much happier with standard suspension and auto.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.