Used 2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi Sedan Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

The Ultimate Repair Machine
By S. Sutton

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't believe the advertising hype and signage at the dealerships about how "cheap" the cost of ownership is and "inexpensive" the repairs are. (My favorite is a placard outside the dealership that says "this landscaping costs more to maintain than your BMW!"). The stereotypes are true, these things are a money pit.

My 2008 335xi is a pleasure to drive, super fun, super comfortable, the perfect balance of power and luxury: The Ultimate Driving Machine (TM). Unfortunately, that comes at a severe cost in maintenance and repairs. Many of the parts used on these have very short life spans, and cost thousands to replace.

My vehicle has less than 60,000 miles and currently needs a $1200 waterpump. The warranty for 2008's was a 4y/48k, so this one is out of pocket for me. I've had vehicles that go three times as long without needing a water pump, let alone such an expensive one. If you assume the waterpump will only last another 55,000 miles that's $2400 in waterpumps just to make it to 100k miles! *whistle noise*

I'm 6 months away from having this paid off... I think I'm going to put her up for sale as soon as I have the title in hand and look for something more reliable.

Driver's and Mechanic's dream
By FLMike

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my 335xi AWD sedan as a CPO with 30K miles in 2011 as a "practical" commuter as too many miles on my 1995 Porsche 911S. Love the car but the maintenance costs are beginning to concern me. IMO the ONLY way to purchase / own a 335XI is under the CPO warranty program and sell it before the value curve falls off at 5 to 6 years. Maintenance thus far: Via recall: fuel pump, Under CPO: Both rear bearings, front transfer case, front bearing, all O2 sensors, idler pulley, main harness from battery to engine compartment. Maintenance not covered under CPO: rear window motor: $400 Now at 104K highway miles, maintenance out of my pocket: Electric water pump and thermostat ($1500). So I am estimating the cost to drive this driving machine approaching >$10k in 4 years. Ouch. Expected Maintenance in next 3 months: All fuel injectors: $1600, Rotors / pads $800. Turbos...? hope not.

Dream Car
By tinbmore

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 335xi for almost 2 years. (6 speed manual, platinum bronze metallic, cw package, adaptivelights) It has 44K miles and my total maintenance cost has been an oil changes, a set of tires and a set of spark plugs (turbo needs them replaced at 45K mi). Agree with other posters, this just a downright FAST car. High speed merge, no problem, pop it down into 3rd and "engage".

Nav is greatly superior to japanese designs. ipod control is sweet. AWD has never sliped in icy conditions, 8 way seats with lumbar and heat can't be beat. Auto windows down feature is great for people like me who prefer open windows and sunroof to A/C. Saw other poster comlain about trunk space, I carry a golf pull cart, golf bag, storage box, two pairs of golf shoes and more and have no problems. Fold down rear seats are cool too.

Still don't know how to save radio stations. Minimal interior storage areas (I even replaced the ash tray with available sunglass storage tray) Pet peeves:Voice recongnition cue takes too long after it asks you a question, I'm constantly talking to it before it is listening. And here a real nit pick: The doors make really tinny sound when you shut them. My E46 had a more luxurious "thunk" sound.

Great combination of sportiness and luxury
By mpt2222

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I recently traded my 02 325i for an 08 335xi and must say, it's been a great decision.
This car is so smooth and quick and handles corners with ease.
There are several nice touches in technology added from the previous version that are really nice.
For example, the exterior LED door handle lights are very cool and useful.
I don't use the can chiller often in the console, but it's nice to have it for the long trips.
This car represents one of the best balances of luxury and handling I've had the pleasure of driving.
I'm just glad I bought this used as the original pricetag is just out of my reach.

Xenon Adaptive headlights, handling, accelleration, door handle LED lighting, Satellite Radio, adaptive cruise control

For the life of me, i wish the engineers would find a way to incorporate a useful cup holder for the driver! I also wish they wouldn't require the key fob to be placed in the slot in order to start the vehicle (they make you spend an extra $500 just to enjoy that "convenience").

Wanted to Love It
By Automan

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted to love it. Took me a long time to finally settle on this car, should have gone with the G35x. Two fuel pumps replaced. Very expensive tires that seem to attract nails like magnets, and boy do they ride harshly. Dealer costs very high on parts and service. Small and cramped inside (I'm 6'2"). Love the handling and power. Very precise and tossable. Fun, even in the rain w/AWD. In the end, sold it after only a year and a month because I couldn't take it anymore. Lost $9k between repairs and sale of car. Even warned the guy that bought it off me that it was costly to own. Just to be fair, the car had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and I sold it with 57,000.

Power and handling.

Reliability, interior needs to be a little bigger. And get rid of super- expensive run flat tires.