2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Failed tensmission 54,000 miles
By ubla on 11/06/13 16:20 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I trusted BMW to stand for quality. Who needs (7) year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty those are for compromised American brands or new Korean ones without a track record. O boy! I was wrong to learn that BMW does not give a crap about quality and customers. With a car just out of the 50,000 mile warranty failing the transmission is normal thing you are on your own.

Run Flats ruin the ride
By jdlewis95 on 04/04/11 21:11 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been buying BMW's since 1994, and this is one of the best models that BMW has ever built. BUT BMW ruined it with those horrid run-flat tires. The smallest of bumps make the car shake because the run flats are so hard. I've bent the front rims 4 times in 3 years so bad that the steering wheel shimmied like crazy. When BMW starts building cars with the Sport Package without the run-flat tires, the I will buy BMW again. The fuel pump went out at 30K and BMW replaced it, no problems. The run-flat tires ruin the ride, so I have put BMW "on-hold".

Fun Car!
By Jay from Jersey on 08/05/10 05:38 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in '04 Lexus ES330 for a used '08 328xi. Lexus is definitely more comfortable with better build quality. BMW is much more fun to drive. Driving in Sport mode is fun, driving in Manual is ridiculously fun. Haven't had to do any repairs, but 4 new Continental Pros cost over $1,000. Seats are okay, can get uncomfortable over a long drive. Complaints: cup holders are useless if you have a large front seat passenger, headlights aren't that bright, side view mirrors are too small, brake dust. If Lexus made a more competitive, sportier car (IS models don't cut it for me) I would go with them, but for now I'm enjoying the BMW experience.

Great car, fun to drive, best AWD
By Mikhail on 11/19/09 12:47 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I admit the mileage is not the best - but I have 30+ on a highway @ 75 mph or 23-25 mpg @ 100 mph. AWD is extremely good - can so easily go through 10 inches of snow on the parking lot or 5 inches snow uphill to ski areas. Very comfortable car especially comparing to new Subarus, Toyotas and Nissans. 4 times made 1200 mi in one day stopping only for refuel and hardly had any back pain where as Subaru imp-za made me sick after 700 mi. Overall excellent car, very impressed! Change of razor-bladed runflat tire for me was 286$.

Noisey at Highway Speeds.
By Ashley on 04/11/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car handles well, especially around corners. The interior looks good. The noise from the engine/muffler seems too loud at highway speeds and I can't read the radio dial with polarized sun glasses.

Perfect!
By cgpublic on 01/19/09 11:48 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

No regrets in choosing the sweet sounding naturally aspirated I6 over the turbo - plenty of acceleration throughout the power band matched to exceptional road feel. The GM 6-speed transmission is not as refined as the ZF, but still head and shoulders over any other auto that I have owned. DS mode and paddles provide plenty of flexibility and fun. AWD is sure-footed in rain and snow, and the xi is the perfect match for urban/suburban roads. 8K well-spent in options (ZPP, ZSP, Xenon, CA, iPod, Heated Seats, Metallic Paint). Phenomenal build quality with no issues to date - just a smile every minute behind the wheel!

great car with little bugs
By car chic on 10/22/08 17:15 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car performs awesome. I love how tight the steering is but wish the ride was a little smoother. Being AWD you can take a turn so fast ( try those hairpin turns on the interstate) the car grips the road the entire time without slowing down!

Can't Read Radio Dial w/ Sun Glasses
By Murphy on 09/09/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Handles well, and looks good, but the radio fades in and out (known BMW problem, but no fix at this time) and I can't read the radio when wearing polarized sun glasses. I asked the dealership about this and they said BMW knows about it, but no fix. I was shocked that BMW would build a car with a radio that we can't read the radio dials when wearing polarized sun glasses. I never had this problem with prior cars. Also, the Jet black paint scratches too easily.

Another rave
By jebaril on 08/07/08 20:22 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is easily the best car I've ever owned, in every aspect. It's beautiful to look at both in and out, and I now understand why the BMW Client Advisors talk about BMW luxury being built around the performance. Performance first, luxury second. It's true. I've owned many Mercedes (all used, admittedly) and this car replaces a stolen, top-of-the-line, completely optioned Jetta 2.0T, which had been the most sophisticated car I'd owned, and the Bimmer outshines them all in every conceivable way. I have premium, steptronic, xenon, iPod, comfort access, alpine white with special lemon/dakota leather.

No Test Drive Needed - Just Do It
By dee on 07/23/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought it without a test drive. And already over 4K miles on it after just 3 months of driving (can't put the keys down). My first BMW, and I'm very satisfied. Found out after buying it that the wife wasn't going to drive it so I should have gone for the 335xi or the coupe (but there's always next year). Handles very nicely even with the run flats (see note below). Nice solid feel while in motion. Power is good for my driving environment (mostly city). So the extra horses of the 335 would go mostly unused except for the occasional weekend drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan in VA is:

$133 per month*