Used 2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Most Unreliable Car I Ever Owned
By DH

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After driving Saabs for the past 23 years, I excitedly bought a BMW. What a mistake! This is the worse car I have ever owned and that includes a 1973 Vega. It has stranded me, requiring a flatbed ride to the mechanic 5 times in the past 2.5 years. It drives nice, the AWD is excellent and is a great car when it is not with the mechanic. Here are the problems to date: 1. Broken Motor Mount Bolts at 41K miles 2. Water Pump Failure at 50K - stranded 3. Serpentine Belt Failure at 57K - stranded 4. Fuel Pump Failure at 61K - stranded 5. Ignition Coil Failure at 72K - stranded 6. Starter Failure at 76K - stranded Based on conversations with 3 colleagues that also own 328s and 335s, these problems are common. I am dumping this car in the spring and will never own a BMW again.

My sporty coupe
By Nancy

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car came from my Aunt, the original owner. It only has 16,600 miles. I have large dogs and this car cannot accommodate my dogs.

BMW 2008 328xi - got rid of it at 104k miles
By perk82

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you are under warranty or less than 75K miles, you are lucky otherwise get rid of it before parts start to fall of the car and it stops on you in the middle of a freeway at 75 miles per hour speed not once but thrice, each time for a different issue. I would also quote here a dealership words on a expensive repair cost "Sir, what do you expect, your BMW has over 90K miles". I learnt my lesson that day.

Failed tensmission 54,000 miles
By ubla

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I trusted BMW to stand for quality. Who needs (7) year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty those are for compromised American brands or new Korean ones without a track record. O boy! I was wrong to learn that BMW does not give a crap about quality and customers. With a car just out of the 50,000 mile warranty failing the transmission is normal thing you are on your own.

So here is my case 2008 328xi with 54,000 miles stopped going in reverse. Call BMW north America and per advise took it to the dealer (BMW Bloomfield NJ). After 2 days of working with BMW Noth America engineers (by themselves they had no idea of what to do) and $465.99 they find the problem : (Manual Valve Rod In Transmission Broken) Repair cost $1,442.46. Raising hell at BMW North America (800) 831-1117 with an agent Shawn Reilly at extension 8538 I was offered half of the $1,442.46 as BMW good will but nothing on the diagnostic cost. This is unheard it is like me an Architect charging a client because I have to learn to do something.

shocks bottoming out and the horrid run flat tires. Then, the acorns dent the hood (they not dented the e46 or may wife’s C300 Mercedes) I am disgusted of this Brand.

Run Flats ruin the ride
By jdlewis95

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been buying BMW's since 1994, and this is one of the best models that BMW has ever built. BUT BMW ruined it with those horrid run-flat tires. The smallest of bumps make the car shake because the run flats are so hard. I've bent the front rims 4 times in 3 years so bad that the steering wheel shimmied like crazy. When BMW starts building cars with the Sport Package without the run-flat tires, the I will buy BMW again. The fuel pump went out at 30K and BMW replaced it, no problems. The run-flat tires ruin the ride, so I have put BMW "on-hold".

I-Drive control, blue tooth, auto door opener, everything but the run flats

Get rid of the run flat tires.

• SUV