Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Most Unreliable Car I Ever Owned
By DH

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After driving Saabs for the past 23 years, I excitedly bought a BMW. What a mistake! This is the worse car I have ever owned and that includes a 1973 Vega. It has stranded me, requiring a flatbed ride to the mechanic 5 times in the past 2.5 years. It drives nice, the AWD is excellent and is a great car when it is not with the mechanic. Here are the problems to date:
1. Broken Motor Mount Bolts at 41K miles
2. Water Pump Failure at 50K - stranded
3. Serpentine Belt Failure at 57K - stranded
4. Fuel Pump Failure at 61K - stranded
5. Ignition Coil Failure at 72K - stranded
6. Starter Failure at 76K - stranded

Based on conversations with 3 colleagues that also own 328s and 335s, these problems are common. I am dumping this car in the spring and will never own a BMW again.

My sporty coupe
By Nancy

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car came from my Aunt, the original owner. It only has 16,600 miles. I have large dogs and this car cannot accommodate my dogs.

The Ultimate Trap Machine
By KC

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I love the twin-turbo power and handling but it gave more misery than joy of driving it. It was more expensive repairing it than raising my child. A piece of German crap!!!!

BMW 2008 328xi - got rid of it at 104k miles
By perk82

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you are under warranty or less than 75K miles, you are lucky otherwise get rid of it before parts start to fall of the car and it stops on you in the middle of a freeway at 75 miles per hour speed not once but thrice, each time for a different issue.
I would also quote here a dealership words on a expensive repair cost "Sir, what do you expect, your BMW has over 90K miles". I learnt my lesson that day.

The Ultimate Repair Machine
By S. Sutton

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't believe the advertising hype and signage at the dealerships about how "cheap" the cost of ownership is and "inexpensive" the repairs are. (My favorite is a placard outside the dealership that says "this landscaping costs more to maintain than your BMW!"). The stereotypes are true, these things are a money pit.

My 2008 335xi is a pleasure to drive, super fun, super comfortable, the perfect balance of power and luxury: The Ultimate Driving Machine (TM). Unfortunately, that comes at a severe cost in maintenance and repairs. Many of the parts used on these have very short life spans, and cost thousands to replace.

My vehicle has less than 60,000 miles and currently needs a $1200 waterpump. The warranty for 2008's was a 4y/48k, so this one is out of pocket for me. I've had vehicles that go three times as long without needing a water pump, let alone such an expensive one. If you assume the waterpump will only last another 55,000 miles that's $2400 in waterpumps just to make it to 100k miles! *whistle noise*

I'm 6 months away from having this paid off... I think I'm going to put her up for sale as soon as I have the title in hand and look for something more reliable.