Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Expensive but reliable
By del21

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car in October 2007 with 2 miles on it. I have had it to the shop 1 time for a stero fuse that went back and was replaced under the warrant. I replaced the run flat tires with regular tires ($70 dollar Pirelli's from Discount Tire) and it made no change in it's performance, "repeat, no change in performance after i had run the original tires on Nitrogen for 39000 miles. Nitrogen makes the difference in tires, trust me. The car now has 53000 miles and it still runs great. The only notable annoyance it that the timing clicks and has clicked since about 8000 miles but it is of no harm to the engine. I get the oil changed once a year for about $80, not at the dealership. Great car.

Favorite Features

Performance Reliablity Luxury Appearance

Suggested Improvements

Take the run flat tires off and put regular tires on all vehicles. These tires are to expensive.

Fun to drive when not in shop
By soccerprnt

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved it when new. After 45000 miles I wish I had never heard of BMW. This car is continually having issues. It started with the antilock brake light coming on intermittently, about once a month. It was at the dealers at least 4 times for this before the problem was finally fixed. Similar problem with engine light coming 3 visits to fix this. Recently my clock has been clearing the time. Engine now stalling out occasionally while I am driving the car. Happens after driving from a few hundred feet to about a mile after I have begun driving it. Extremely dangerous. Diagnosed bad battery . Not covered under warrenty. They also did a programming update on the engine.

Favorite Features

Handles great. Fun car to drive

Suggested Improvements

Needs to have a better charging system. My battery died in 3 years and it is not covered under maintenance and warranty because this car is not driven once a day at least 10 highway miles in one trip. Never mind that I drive about 4 miles to work every day and take a 80 mile (both ways) trip once a week with it (44,000 miles over 3 years). Tires need to last longer than 12,000 miles. The reliability in general needs considerable work. I know that this car would be higher maintenance than my old Honda, however, I never expected the reliability to be so bad. The above does not include anywhere near all of the issues I have had with this car.

What exactly is German Engineering?
By thr33wayclimax

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car in November 2010 with 50k miles as a CPO. Water pumps are electric and go out every 50k miles or so, covered under cpo. Injectors on this car are notorious for failing, had 3 fail on my car also covered under cpo. Finally the condensor was leaking also replaced under warranty. I sold the car recently for a good price as it still had one year left on the maintenance and warranty. But the new owner reported serpentine belt failure. This is due to a bad subfram design and driver side engine mount which allows the belt to hit the subframe, over time the belt will shear and WILL FAIL. BMW has a "New" subframe but will not cover costs to fix their mistake. Idiots.

Favorite Features

Its fast! Smooth engine, no turbo lag, tramisison shifts beautifully. Steering feel and response, no rattles, decent fuel MPG considering weight and power of the car. Relatively little roadnoise, minor windnoise at speed.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY. Seriously what do these Germans do when they test the prototypes of these cars? do they not drive them for 100-200k miles as they should and note mechanical failures? Whats the point of having a car with great driving dynamics that you can't drive if it breaks down.

Best Car I've Owned
By sociopath

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I owned a 2002 325i before I bought my 2008 328i sedan new four years ago. The OEM Bridgestone run-flats were even more awful than many folks are willing to say. After my run-flats wore out at only 16K, I replaced them with a set of Michellin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. After 10K, these tires are wearing very well and give me a soft, quiet, and great-handling ride. The car has been incredibly reliable--simply outstanding since the beginning--and still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. It has a sporty yet secure, comfottable ride and I get about 18 mpg in the city and almost 30 on the highway.

Favorite Features

I like everything about this car. It's big enough, but not too big. It isn't a pocket rocket, but has more than enough power. I didn't get lots of extras: the sport package and the moon roof are enough for me. At first, I thought the leatherette might be a downside, but it has turned out to be fine. I think I like it more than leather. It came with wood trim, which looks phony, but I'm told it's the real deal.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing is perfect, and I suppose I could nit-pick, and that's what it would be. At first, I hated the cup holders, but they work well and I like the fact that they can be concealed when not in use. The only real problem was those terrible OEM run-flats.

ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!!
By billr6

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I own my black 328i for over 6 months now. Bought used with 32K miles. Incredible car, step on the gas and you are in heaven. Power is unreal, I only felt this way once in Infinity G35. I can't help myself when driving this car, often I push it over 100 Mph on hwy that has a speed limit of 60 or 70 Mph. At 100 Mph you hardly feel any shaking or noise. Car is grounded and planted like it has roots to the highway. Passing is a breeze and exhilarating!!! And when you hear that engine growl - like a surge of nuclear energy is passing to the wheels. Steering and handling is top notch!! 100% German engineering. Love it!!! No sports luxury car matches this car. I tested them all. BMW rules!!

Favorite Features

Speed, power, engine growl, looks fabulous!!! Interior is very tidy and smartly designed. Seats are very comfy to me! BMW changes oil, brakes, wipers etc for first 4 years!! I would buy this car again in a heart beat!!

Suggested Improvements

Simplify electronics!! Too complex for me. I like simple controls, but all BMW controls are computer driven. Run flat tires are not the most comfy tires. I would prefer regular tires, but there is no spare. Run flats do handle well. They cost about 30% more than decent regular tires. Add electronic power seats to base versions.