2008 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Failed tensmission 54,000 miles
By ubla

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I trusted BMW to stand for quality. Who needs (7) year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty those are for compromised American brands or new Korean ones without a track record. O boy! I was wrong to learn that BMW does not give a crap about quality and customers. With a car just out of the 50,000 mile warranty failing the transmission is normal thing you are on your own.

Favorite Features

So here is my case 2008 328xi with 54,000 miles stopped going in reverse. Call BMW north America and per advise took it to the dealer (BMW Bloomfield NJ). After 2 days of working with BMW Noth America engineers (by themselves they had no idea of what to do) and $465.99 they find the problem : (Manual Valve Rod In Transmission Broken) Repair cost $1,442.46. Raising hell at BMW North America (800) 831-1117 with an agent Shawn Reilly at extension 8538 I was offered half of the $1,442.46 as BMW good will but nothing on the diagnostic cost. This is unheard it is like me an Architect charging a client because I have to learn to do something.

Suggested Improvements

shocks bottoming out and the horrid run flat tires. Then, the acorns dent the hood (they not dented the e46 or may wife’s C300 Mercedes) I am disgusted of this Brand.

BMW has to stand behind their errors!
By badfradzz

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just traded my 330i for a 335i. There was no other cost effective way to get that next 50 HP out of the engine (which was fast enough for most folks, but once you get that bug). This car is incredible (Incredible!!) And if you are older than 45, this car is more like a sci-fi transporter out of a comic book. It's so smooth and goes so easily 30mph over the speed limit that you'll think it's a set up by the Klingons to get your money. However, three problems remain in the 2007 and up, 1: subframe/serpentine belt damage 2: wastegate failure in the turbo/turbos 3: high pressure fuel pump failure. To some extent BMW has addressed two of three. So do your homework, the 335 will smile on you.

Favorite Features

It's fast. It's smooth. It's fast. It's smooth. It's fast. It's smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Bmw, fix the design flaws! It's good BMW addressed the waste gate and fuel pump, but the turbos should be better covered. How can BMW expect the turbos to fail at 83,001 miles and it's okay?? $50,000 dollar car okay? And the subframe issue should be fixed!! How can BMW ignore this? How can BMW stick owners with this $3000 repair when it's a design problem. And lastly, why did BMW destroy the Iphone app 'My BMW Remote?? It put BMW ahead of all ALL other manufacturers? Why did you break the app BMW??? Why?? It doesn't do anything now, read the reviews on Apple!!

Dream Car
By tinbmore

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 335xi for almost 2 years. (6 speed manual, platinum bronze metallic, cw package, adaptivelights) It has 44K miles and my total maintenance cost has been an oil changes, a set of tires and a set of spark plugs (turbo needs them replaced at 45K mi). Agree with other posters, this just a downright FAST car. High speed merge, no problem, pop it down into 3rd and "engage".

Favorite Features

Nav is greatly superior to japanese designs. ipod control is sweet. AWD has never sliped in icy conditions, 8 way seats with lumbar and heat can't be beat. Auto windows down feature is great for people like me who prefer open windows and sunroof to A/C. Saw other poster comlain about trunk space, I carry a golf pull cart, golf bag, storage box, two pairs of golf shoes and more and have no problems. Fold down rear seats are cool too.

Suggested Improvements

Still don't know how to save radio stations. Minimal interior storage areas (I even replaced the ash tray with available sunglass storage tray) Pet peeves:Voice recongnition cue takes too long after it asks you a question, I'm constantly talking to it before it is listening. And here a real nit pick: The doors make really tinny sound when you shut them. My E46 had a more luxurious "thunk" sound.

What exactly is German Engineering?
By thr33wayclimax

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car in November 2010 with 50k miles as a CPO. Water pumps are electric and go out every 50k miles or so, covered under cpo. Injectors on this car are notorious for failing, had 3 fail on my car also covered under cpo. Finally the condensor was leaking also replaced under warranty. I sold the car recently for a good price as it still had one year left on the maintenance and warranty. But the new owner reported serpentine belt failure. This is due to a bad subfram design and driver side engine mount which allows the belt to hit the subframe, over time the belt will shear and WILL FAIL. BMW has a "New" subframe but will not cover costs to fix their mistake. Idiots.

Favorite Features

Its fast! Smooth engine, no turbo lag, tramisison shifts beautifully. Steering feel and response, no rattles, decent fuel MPG considering weight and power of the car. Relatively little roadnoise, minor windnoise at speed.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY. Seriously what do these Germans do when they test the prototypes of these cars? do they not drive them for 100-200k miles as they should and note mechanical failures? Whats the point of having a car with great driving dynamics that you can't drive if it breaks down.

BW328i Great Car But Repairs are Expensive!
By billsfan8

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven a 2008 BW328i for a year and a half now. It's fun to drive with precise handling, quick braking, and very good acceleration. The interior is nice with leather seats but some trim parts aren't great. The retractable cupholders are prone to breaking and expensive to replace. Brake dust is excessive too with the stock brakepads making the wheels always dusty. I enjoy the car very much as it is well designed with high quality components for the most part. I would warn any Raleigh, North Carolina prospective BMW buyers to avoid Leith BMW due to dishonest sales and service practices.

Favorite Features

Handling, Quality, Acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Premium Fuel, Cupholders, Brake Dust, Poor Local Dealership Support

Best Car I've Owned
By sociopath

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I owned a 2002 325i before I bought my 2008 328i sedan new four years ago. The OEM Bridgestone run-flats were even more awful than many folks are willing to say. After my run-flats wore out at only 16K, I replaced them with a set of Michellin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. After 10K, these tires are wearing very well and give me a soft, quiet, and great-handling ride. The car has been incredibly reliable--simply outstanding since the beginning--and still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. It has a sporty yet secure, comfottable ride and I get about 18 mpg in the city and almost 30 on the highway.

Favorite Features

I like everything about this car. It's big enough, but not too big. It isn't a pocket rocket, but has more than enough power. I didn't get lots of extras: the sport package and the moon roof are enough for me. At first, I thought the leatherette might be a downside, but it has turned out to be fine. I think I like it more than leather. It came with wood trim, which looks phony, but I'm told it's the real deal.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing is perfect, and I suppose I could nit-pick, and that's what it would be. At first, I hated the cup holders, but they work well and I like the fact that they can be concealed when not in use. The only real problem was those terrible OEM run-flats.

ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!!
By billr6

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I own my black 328i for over 6 months now. Bought used with 32K miles. Incredible car, step on the gas and you are in heaven. Power is unreal, I only felt this way once in Infinity G35. I can't help myself when driving this car, often I push it over 100 Mph on hwy that has a speed limit of 60 or 70 Mph. At 100 Mph you hardly feel any shaking or noise. Car is grounded and planted like it has roots to the highway. Passing is a breeze and exhilarating!!! And when you hear that engine growl - like a surge of nuclear energy is passing to the wheels. Steering and handling is top notch!! 100% German engineering. Love it!!! No sports luxury car matches this car. I tested them all. BMW rules!!

Favorite Features

Speed, power, engine growl, looks fabulous!!! Interior is very tidy and smartly designed. Seats are very comfy to me! BMW changes oil, brakes, wipers etc for first 4 years!! I would buy this car again in a heart beat!!

Suggested Improvements

Simplify electronics!! Too complex for me. I like simple controls, but all BMW controls are computer driven. Run flat tires are not the most comfy tires. I would prefer regular tires, but there is no spare. Run flats do handle well. They cost about 30% more than decent regular tires. Add electronic power seats to base versions.

We miss this car already
By pbschroeder

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Consider this the final verdict on the 2008 335i coupe. We put 50,000 miles on this car in less than 3 years and only sold it because we needed something with 4 doors. We bought a 2011 X3 28i. This car was fast and comfortable from the day we got it. Tap the accelerator, the turbos kick in and it is off like a shot. 0-60 this car was nearly as fast as my '99 Corvette. We loved the iPod, the bluetooth, the sports seats and the handling. According to friends, once you got in the back seat, that was comfortable, too.

Favorite Features

iPod, sports seats, bluetooth, speed, handling, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Great combination of sportiness and luxury
By mpt2222

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I recently traded my 02 325i for an 08 335xi and must say, it's been a great decision. This car is so smooth and quick and handles corners with ease. There are several nice touches in technology added from the previous version that are really nice. For example, the exterior LED door handle lights are very cool and useful. I don't use the can chiller often in the console, but it's nice to have it for the long trips. This car represents one of the best balances of luxury and handling I've had the pleasure of driving. I'm just glad I bought this used as the original pricetag is just out of my reach.

Favorite Features

Xenon Adaptive headlights, handling, accelleration, door handle LED lighting, Satellite Radio, adaptive cruise control

Suggested Improvements

For the life of me, i wish the engineers would find a way to incorporate a useful cup holder for the driver! I also wish they wouldn't require the key fob to be placed in the slot in order to start the vehicle (they make you spend an extra $500 just to enjoy that "convenience").

Expensive but reliable
By del21

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car in October 2007 with 2 miles on it. I have had it to the shop 1 time for a stero fuse that went back and was replaced under the warrant. I replaced the run flat tires with regular tires ($70 dollar Pirelli's from Discount Tire) and it made no change in it's performance, "repeat, no change in performance after i had run the original tires on Nitrogen for 39000 miles. Nitrogen makes the difference in tires, trust me. The car now has 53000 miles and it still runs great. The only notable annoyance it that the timing clicks and has clicked since about 8000 miles but it is of no harm to the engine. I get the oil changed once a year for about $80, not at the dealership. Great car.

Favorite Features

Performance Reliablity Luxury Appearance

Suggested Improvements

Take the run flat tires off and put regular tires on all vehicles. These tires are to expensive.