Used 2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My only spoiled child treated me like a bad parent
By Marlene M

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I special ordered a 2007 BMW 328i coupe in 9/06. I did the BMW destination pickup in NC. Went through a 3.5 hour delivery and 4 hours of BMW driving school learning all features. ABS, traction control, etc. I know my car inside out. I ordered the 328i over the 335i because, I wanted to put the extra money into the inside. Believe me the 328i is fast enough unless you are going to race on a track. I put $11,900 of packages and options on this car because, I wanted to keep it forever. I love my car I even put Active Steering which makes it a baby 6 series. It is Space Grey with Red interior. I wanted heated seats and being from the south that was not an option unless you were in the northern region at the time. They got it for me. I wrote a check with taxes and fees for $49,451. I have changed the oil every 6K miles instead of 15K as suggested. I have 71,181 miles which is an average little over $8000 miles a year since I took delivery in 11/06. This car stayed in the shop with electrical issues for the first 2 years. I drove their loner cars more than I drove my car. I ran out of time on my warranty before miles so, I bought their expensive extended warranty and used it twice. I think I was about 1K up on that $3200 and ran out of time before miles again. Please do not let your battery go dead. No one told me that. Then modules go out and it cost me over $1500 for a battery and the modules that blew. Let me say this that I have a good aftermarket BMW repair shop that I found that is honest and is about two thirds or less of the BMW dealership cost after my warrant was gone. Once your battery goes dead you get a steering wheel lock. It will count down how many times you can start the engine then you are locked out of starting your car. BMW will not let the dealership reset this error but, you have to get the steering column replaced. Thank GOD again I found a good honest aftermarket repair shop. This car is a money pit. There is something every other month now. I could be paying payments on an S Class Mercedes for the repairs now. I went to trade it in on an Infiniti which, the same dealership has a BMW dealership and got an estimate of $5,500 trade. I told them I would burn it in front of the BMW dealership before I would take that for it. The Louis Vuitton purse I had on my arm cost more than that at the time. It makes me sick that I have treated this car like a only child and been treated like a bad parent. The only thing I can say so far, knock on wood, I have not had any problem with the engine and it will run like a scaled dog. Yes, I have had it around 140 on the interstate. In sport mode it will out run cars that it would surprise you. My poor child will have to go to some bone yard somewhere. I just refuse to pay payments on a car paid for in full. Everything that goes wrong should be a recall on MOST BMWs. What happen to them. I thought it was the Ultimate Driving Machine. I guess it is as long as it is running! Should I had bought that Mercedes CLK coupe instead? I also will never buy the first new module year car coming out. You have to let them get the bugs out the first year.

07 BMW 335I Coupe
By caiusaurelius

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought recently 335i with 71K on it and as for 6 year old car the condition of it is excellent. I am very satisfied with its
interior and exterior design, the car has great performance. As for the Coupe the car is extremely reliable and Comfort. I don't know why people complain about its comfort and build quality because
it is a performance car and
what do you expect when you buy a
used Beamer?
want to look
inside like in a Maybach?? ALSO EVERYTHING DEPENDS on a previous owners when you buy a used performance car especially BMW. My car had 2 OWNERS and has not even a single scratch and everything is CLEAN under the hood. So everything depends on what life the car lived.

TWIN-TURBO

Update - it SUCKS! WALK AWAY!
By yankeejb1

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

All the car mags totally fawn over this car as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread - and it is a looker with great performance (when it's running properly)... but make no mistake - these cars are absolute garbage. BMW enthusiasts will of course overlook these car's flaws no matter what, but those of us normal folks who aren't blinded by brand loyalty will certainly notice the car's gross unreliability, build quality that rivals a 1980s Chevy Camaro, exorbitant maintenance costs and (in my case) piss-poor service, support and sheer arrogance by the BMW dealer. There's absolutely no excuse for any of this and BMW should be ashamed (but I seriously doubt it...)

Performance (when it ran properly) was outstanding, certainly no complaints there. Decent gas mileage too, considering the performance. The car is definitely a looker, one of the best looking BMWs ever made. Sound system was one of the best I've ever heard. It's just too bad BMW shot these cars in the foot with their Yugo-like reliability...

Not much else to say, really. If you're considering one of these, consider yourself warned before you succumb. I had high hopes for this car and really wanted to like it, but with all the issues it had and BMW's seeming indifference to just about everything, I ended up selling it at a loss. Maybe the new 4-series will be better than this 3-series generation, but at this point I honestly couldn't care less - I'm done with BMW - permanently.

Worst car I've owned
By nicholasc

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Very unreliable vehicle, I have 62k miles on my car. I've had the fuel pump replaced and the fuel injectors twice. Also had the water pump die on me on the freeway, car goes into limp mode and was glad I wasn't killed. Do not buy one if its gonna be your daily driver and then whats the point of buying one anyway.

Always have a warranty and towing coverage

Excellent choice, but a few chinks in the armor...
By yankeejb1

2007 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely gorgeous car, BMW really outdid themselves on the styling. Power is outstanding, feels far faster then the 300 hp rating would suggest, but the off-the-line throttle response could be more linear and not so "right now". The seatbelt assisting device is a nice idea but most of the time the seatbelt slips off the device and I have to reach back for the belt anyway. The retracting cupholders are straight out of 1990 and are extremely flimsy. I-Drive isn't so bad once you get used to it. Adaptive cruise control went out and transmission developed a leak at 40K but thankfully both were covered under warranty. Had the car for 6 months and am still discovering new gadgets and features!

Best part is that twin-turbo I-6 engine. 0-60 in under 5 seconds, sounds great in the process and the transmission upshifts with military precision. It'll still push you back in the seat when you boot the throttle at 110, or so I've read... (wink wink). The whole drivetrain is as smooth as Jack Daniels and actually achieves very decent gas mileage considering the available power. One of the best looking BMWs ever, they're gonna have a tough time topping this one when the new 3-series coupe bodystyle is redesigned for '14.

Parts and service are very expensive, might want to consider an extended warranty and/or have it thoroughly checked out by a certified mechanic if you succumb. Paint shouldn't be peeling off the steering wheel spokes after only a few years (or ever, actually), and cupholders shouldn't feel so fragile that you're scared to use them. Starting the car shouldn't be a 3-step process (place "key" in slot, push "start" button and apply brakes). Oh, and make the inside rear view mirror as part of the "memory" process. The ability to run on 87 octane gas would be nice too instead of having to use the more expensive 91-93 octane.