2006 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: The life of your car is depend

2006 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

330xi Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual)

The life of your car is dependent upon the way you maintain it.
By jatoops on

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've never read so many poor reviews on a vehicle that was the World Car of the Year for 2006 (its first year of production). I used to be a BMW service employee at Bill Jacobs BMW of Naperville. I saw countless '06 325i's and 330i's. Shockingly, the customers who performed recommended services at the right times rarely had complaints regarding the 3's reliability, and since returned to buy newer models. BMW's aren't made to be run into the ground by drivers who have zero regard for taking care of their car. I've loyally taken care of my car. It's 8 years old with 82,000 miles and all I've replaced unexpectedly is a taillight bulb. Take care of your cars, you'll be amazed at the difference.

When I first test drove a 3 series, I was shocked at how heavy the steering was. I was used to the feather-like effort of a 2010 E-class coupe. After buying the 330 and driving it, I've grown to love the heavy steering - it's natural feeling and provides excellent feedback. The Logic7 sound system is incredibly good and quality made. The engine is on another level, and the sound is even better. xDrive is effective through even heavy Chicago snowstorms. The car tracks well even with all-season tires. The driving experience truly makes you feel in complete mechanical control without being too "raw" to perform as a luxury car. The ride is solid. Not floaty, but not harsh either.

The cupholders are abysmal. Flimsy and inconveniently located. Under heavy acceleration or braking, a bottle of water will go flying. Some interior surfaces wear more quickly than others. An alarm system is not standard - instead the car comes pre-wired, and the install is $600 at any certified dealer, where the install should be done. On a car with BMW logo on its hood and running a $45,000+ sticker brand new, an alarm system should be standard.