BMW, our Ultimate break-down machine
By valka on
2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
So, we bought this (2006 325i/E90) car last year for 16K. In the following year its needed (all prices include installation) 1. $600 Oil Pan Gasket 2. $1500 Passenger seat weight sensor 3. $1200 Radio Dash LCD display 4. $1300 Electric Water Pump 5. $150 Electric thermostat 6. $500 shaped coolant hoses 7. $350 Oil Filter Adapter Gasket 8. $500 replacement alloy rim 9. $200 spark plugs 10$700 VANOS solenoids Once you get past the questionable maintenance costs and the uncomfortable side bolsters the car has a lot of good points. It's good fun to drive with excellent handling and decent throttle...it just shouldn't cost this much to maintain a 5 year old car.
Favorite Features
a rear wheel drive sedan with a responsive engine, a manual transmission, good handling and 4 doors, a combination that's getting quite difficult to find in a new car.
Suggested Improvements
1) Improved electrical components, switches and solenoids. 2) Simpler engineering. The design on these cars is way more complicated than it needs to be. As an engineer it's fun to look at, but as a backyard mechanic it's a total pain in the as_. Instead of a $3 dipstick there is a $3000 platinum tipped oil quality sensor package. Instead of putting a pot-metal filter on the bottom of the engine we have a cartridge filter on the top of the engine that's known to leak oil and short out the $800 alternator. Instead of a 10 minute tuneup you will be spending 1hr+ removing filters and housings and coil packs and using a special thin-wall socket to remove and replace the plugs.
By robertcrowley
on 04/08/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

hi, I have nearly the same car mine is auto vs. manual. The $1500 passenger seat sensor should have been covered under warranty - there was a recall and it's good for something like 10 years (don't quote me on that) but even after the 50K warranty they should fix that for free.. What is your mileage? I'm around 75K miles and I also had to do the water pump and thermostat. But that's normal - I paid $500 for pump and $90 for thermostat with labor it came to about $1100. I just did spark plugs too and they were $20 ea. so $120 plus I dunno labor say .. total $200? but I did them early and they last 100K.. Also I live in FL so the car sees lots of dry weather on well paved roads - no snow, no salt etc so it's holding up. But $500 for a replacement rim seems ridiculous? Are you going to the dealer for all this stuff? Looking online? B/c yeah you are really paying top dollar for all of this - oh and as for the radio yeah that IS a disappointment - sounds great but the LCD display DOES start to black out - I live with it I can still read it just sort of cut off at the bottom.. Damn! $1200 ok no way heh heh - no used newer radios from a 2007 or 2008 totalled car??