Used 2006 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

After I get rid of my 2nd BMW I will be FREE
By andew_steel

2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a 325 for my daughter and unfortunately I made the same mistake by buying a second one for my other daughter. They are fun to drive and stay on the road very well. But German engineering is just a myth. EVERYTHING breaks after the original factory warranty runs out. The money I spent in repairs I could have bought a new Honda. And that is what I have done. Traded the first one in for a New Acura. My daughter loves her new Acura and very soon I will get rid of the 2nd one. And I will be DONE!

Favorite Features

Ride very good on the highway. But the price for this is asinine.

Suggested Improvements

Win back he American Consumer through quality.

It's great, when it works
By csarson

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband had this car built in Germany to U.S. specs. It is his pride and joy, & has lived up to his expectations as far as the driving experience. We live in PA and the car performs great on narrow, winding roads in all conditions - though the suspension is WAY too tight for Pittsburgh potholes. Unfortunately it is constantly in the shop, & repairs are not cheap. My husband travels a lot & has been stranded multiple times, and been towed multiple times. He was stranded for two weeks when the steering lock went, but usually it is the tires - one FELL OFF about a month ago on the freeway. My advice - don't try this without a 100K warranty. And don't expect it to reliably get you anywhere

Favorite Features

Its performance will save you if you drive like a maniac on icy roads. Heated seats, infinitely adjustable seats - enough said. Headrests need to be able to move further back though.

Suggested Improvements

There has to be something wrong with the car that it eats tires this fast - they wear unevenly, get bulges, and separate from the wheel. The local tire shop has started giving us frequent customer discounts. The worst part of BMW is the dealership. They treat you really nicely when you come in, but as far as actually fixing problems (even one they caused - halogen headlight casing found to be cracked after servicing, causing a rusted and broken motor), it's often a fight. With a car that breaks this much, and costs this much, you'd think they'd be more accommodating.

BMW, our Ultimate break-down machine
By valka

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So, we bought this (2006 325i/E90) car last year for 16K. In the following year its needed (all prices include installation) 1. $600 Oil Pan Gasket 2. $1500 Passenger seat weight sensor 3. $1200 Radio Dash LCD display 4. $1300 Electric Water Pump 5. $150 Electric thermostat 6. $500 shaped coolant hoses 7. $350 Oil Filter Adapter Gasket 8. $500 replacement alloy rim 9. $200 spark plugs 10$700 VANOS solenoids Once you get past the questionable maintenance costs and the uncomfortable side bolsters the car has a lot of good points. It's good fun to drive with excellent handling and decent throttle...it just shouldn't cost this much to maintain a 5 year old car.

Favorite Features

a rear wheel drive sedan with a responsive engine, a manual transmission, good handling and 4 doors, a combination that's getting quite difficult to find in a new car.

Suggested Improvements

1) Improved electrical components, switches and solenoids. 2) Simpler engineering. The design on these cars is way more complicated than it needs to be. As an engineer it's fun to look at, but as a backyard mechanic it's a total pain in the as_. Instead of a $3 dipstick there is a $3000 platinum tipped oil quality sensor package. Instead of putting a pot-metal filter on the bottom of the engine we have a cartridge filter on the top of the engine that's known to leak oil and short out the $800 alternator. Instead of a 10 minute tuneup you will be spending 1hr+ removing filters and housings and coil packs and using a special thin-wall socket to remove and replace the plugs.

Stays in the shop
By gksouth

2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have always heard about how great a BMW car is. I bought mine about 3 years ago, and have had nothing but repair issues since. First it was a steerind lock sensor prioblem. Next was a brake sensor problem on the front and back. Dealer says brakes are fine. within the last 2 months, I have had both rear window regulators go out. Now I HAVE PAINT PEELING. I would caution anyone about buying a BMW. You had better set aside plenty for repairs

Favorite Features

Handles well

Suggested Improvements

Pay more attention to making the car more reliable, and not just look good.

75k miles later - I still love my car!
By ggallison61

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third BMW 3 Series, and after five years of ownership and 75,000 miles I still love to drive my car. It still handles beautifully, jumps up to 85 mph in a flash, and takes the curves as if itís hugging the rail. Gorgeous car in and out. Love it, love it, love it! Every time I think about getting that new convertible, I remember I still love my car and I'm not quite ready to part with it. Maybe next year...

Favorite Features

The esthetics and drive-ability. Very responsive and handles beautiful. Comfortable interior, love the terra leather seats. Controls all within comfortable reach

Suggested Improvements

Not a fan of the run-flat tire. The iPod situation is lacking. They should have integrated the controls as a standard feature.