2006 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Fun To Drive But Very Poor Reliability - Automotive Engineer
By tomkat2kid2 on 01/19/11 07:53 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am an Automotive / Commercial Vehicle Engineer. I am also the original owner of a 2006 BMW 325i with 75K miles, and while I like the cars handling and styling, the quality and reliability of this vehicle has been extremely poor. I have owned many different brands of vehicles, and this vehicle by far has had the most problems under warranty. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty (which I had never done before) but it is due to expire in 5K miles. See below for a list of issues with this vehicle over a 4 year period. While the vehicle is fun to drive and has good styling, I would caution anyone considering this vehicle due to the risk of significant out of pocket repair costs.

Best car ive ever owned!!!
By 72coupe1 on 12/21/10 19:55 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

only had this car for a few days, but so far it is the best car i have ever owned. awesome combination of luxury, performance, and economy. everything about it has great build quality except for some of the interior-the paint on the plastic components wants to flake off very easily...i would expect more out of a German luxury sedan. other than that i would recommend this car above all else.

You will not regret buying this car
By Chas on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Awesome car, I got the premium with the sport package or what not. I spent $45,000 cash - no finance. The car is great in all respects. Handling is unmatched in any car I've driven for the mid- century price point. I wish it was 300 HP but then I might have killed myself. The music system is the bomb. Car came with bluetooth and Ipod jack. Two power points. I got the all leather in gray. Still smells new after 42,000 miles.

Defective key
By ecs148 on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2006 330xi with 24,000 miles. Paid about $400 for Comfort Access. Engine should start with push button with key in my pocket. Key stopped working. Clearly defective. Won’t work with key in dashboard slot or with new battery. Dealer wants new key for $480. No wear and tear involved. Customer relations won’t replace defective key at no charge. This is clearly technology gone mad.

BMW Owner Since 1995
By Michele on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned 2 and leased 6 BMWs since 1995. I love them so much I purchased the 2006 so I didn't have to turn it in after the lease expired. While the car is almost the same quality as all previous ones the run flat tires have been replaced with go flats along with a membership in AAA. Bumps make the car feel as though something will fall off or the tire will explode with the run flats. The rubber paint on the driver side door handle is peeled off and embarrassing but the car rides like a dream and I feel safe driving it. My only regret is that I chose to buy this one and not my previous 3 series. Local driving results in only 17 mpg but highway an outstanding 33 mpg.

330i - The best car I've ever owned
By Justin Long on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the 330i 6 spd manual with Sports package and navigation in January. This is my first BMW and I'm hooked. It's by far the best car I've ever owned in all aspects. Nothing was sacrificed to give perfect balance of performance and luxury. Plenty of HP and torque without the 335's twin turbos. 35 mpg on interstate and 22- 26 mpg city (depending on how you drive) I've put 20k miles in 8 months without any problems. There weren't run-flat tires on it when I bought it and I kept it that way. More comfortable ride without them. This is a must buy. Navigation is a little dated but was very detailed and only had issues not finding one location. Find a manual and DRIVE.

330i - my third and best BMW ever
By Luis on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in my old 325i, could not believe I found this maxed-out 330i in like-new condition (kudos to previous owner). All 3-Series are great cars, but the 330i has great balance of luxury, performance, and economy (mpg). Looked for premium pkg only, but this also came with sport pkg and its awesome handling. Truly a "muscle car in a tuxedo". Standard BMW build quality and design, understated but comfortable seats & interior, a real driver's car. No substitute for RWD, near-perfect F/R weight balance, and very connected steering. Steptronic A/T is a delight for someone who is used to manual shifters only. Buy a clean used BMW instead of new Honda/Toyota/Chevy sedan, and you will never go back!

Use but still great
By burley on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchase my BMW used with 79,000 miles. I have a new Mercedes c class, a Lexus is 250. The Mercedes was a very good car. The Lexus had nice features but when you add in the frequent maintenance unrotatable tires and lack drive quality when if comes to the feel of the car. At 80,000 miles the BMW has a better quality feel than the Lexus. I can't knock the Mercedes, when you compare Mercedes and BMW its more a matter of taste, they are just different. In comfort and road handling Mercedes has a softer feel which some people like more. To me BMW is just more suited to a person who love to drive and the feel of the car and the road as one.

Love the car
By mrsnitrobob on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330Ci 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love the car. Have almost 125k miles and no problems, just the usual oil change, tires, brakes changing. Fun, reliable car. Navigation, while as not touch screen, it does allow my passenger use it, while I'm driving.

330i sport avg 22 mpg wow what a car!
By FLYfor God on 08/24/10 12:42 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had a 325i Sport, 325i base and now a 330i Sport, I want to say that there is a wow factor between base and sport, I wish it wasn’t true but they are “two different cars”, my 325i avg 23-24 mpg unbelievable in my book, but with a slight lag on takeoff oh well the trade off is MPG, the 330i avg 22 mpg solid, hwy 75-80 28 mpg 65 mph-34 mpg and 60-35, I think for a 255 hp this is incredible, it has the bang when you hit it but from 1-10 mph yes it’s not a rocket ship but feel BMW did it right, it handles GREAT, maybe not like a G35 but that is a hard harsh ride , the 330i isn’t yet the 325 sport was harsh? I feel the 330i is worth the extra $, outside of a small lag you will love this car

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.