Used 2006 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2006 Break My Wallet 330i Sedan
By tggary

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2006 BMW 330i Sedan auto is a lot of fun to drive when it is operating without problems, Repeated ignition coil breakdowns, bad bushings, oil gasket leaks, run flat issues - all in 47K mileage range - I long for the '04 Jaguar X Type 3.0 which was totaled by another driver - it never broke down and was great on ice and snow too with the stock All Season tires. I do love the 330i, Black / Black Leather Premium Package and very quick, but it is just sad how the so called superior Bavarian Engineering is a joke. Then again, our 2002 Benz has been perfect to 87K, just tires, oil and brakes. Next time, I go Acura, Lexus, if Germanic - Audi or another Benz. BMW stands for Break My Wallet.

Engine response, 255 HP, Sport Mode 0 to 60 breaks 6 seconds, Steptronic, Ergonomics, Leather.

Quality, Reliability, Durability, Battery Replacement Requirements, Needs Dipstick, No pushbutton w/Key Fob - just Push. Direction signal stalk needs to be normal, run flats need to go away, paint should not be so prone to chipping, and the list goes on...

Read before you purchase
By as28

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: Performance, drive experience Cons: Reliability, cost to own. Either lease this car or make sure you can afford to be late to work - to drop it off at the repair shop a few times a year. Read the common issues on the web from most BMW owners. - Water Pump, Shift Display unit (sport mode), engine coils, cylinder head (known issue), bushings, differential, tensioner pulley and on and on. Issues so common, I sent BMW corp the web links and they paid for the repairs. Car is not worth the trouble. Due diligence and experience has dissolved any brand affinity I have for BMW. Good luck with the techs -if the computer doesnt show them what's wrong they have to rely on trial and error

Performance.. Hug the road, go cart experience. A drivers car. Suggest looking into other, more reliable vehicles if you are going to own a car.

Use a metal, instead of a plastic engine parts. For $50k you should be embarrassed of the way you cut corners BMW. Spend less time paying sound engineers to create "the perfect blinker sound" and use that money to create a sound vehicle that lasts. Most people don't use 80% of the over-engineered features BMW has wasted time on. As a BMW mechanic told said to me, "We call them The Ultimate Fixing Machine" Shouldn't reliability be a standard feature? Guess not. Practice Quality Control and Assurance, and give us some internal substance.

Love the car, but a little bit paranoid
By arpy1

2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have always been a huge fan of BMW, and I was so excited to be able to buy my first one. I bought my 06' 325XI in Sept of 11 with just under the 100K mark (98K). It is now Nov of 12, so, I have owned it for a little over a year. I now have 120K on the car and it is still going strong. In the year I have owned it I have had to change the oil, spark plugs, a headlight, and one pack of ignition coils. It truely is like a dream come true, but I always have a sense of doom in the back of my mind after reading a lot of these reviews.

I absolutely love the bluetooth and the extras. Living in Colorado, AWD/4WD is almost a must, especially if you are a skiier/snowboarder. The AWD system is amazing. Stomps my old 02 Jeep Grand Cheerokee's full time 4WD all over the place.

Probably the cup holders. I dont understand them.

Worst car on earth! Disapointed by BMW
By flavio1

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a 325i 2006, second hand in 2011 it had about 62000 kilometers (not miles). Since then I was disappointed: the grey interior is now on a bad shape, on of the cup holders doesnt work at all, the button for the headlights felt apart and this is just the beginning. I had to change the water pomp ( 1100$) the service department told that it happens sometimes. 85 000 kms cover bolts that i have to change + camshaft and valanos solonoids total 1865 $. Plus many maintenance that I had to do. I will never buy a BMW again. The person who works at the sales department told me that once the warranty expires the real problems begin. Even people who are working at BMW dont trust the company

None

Eveything

great handling, suspention, poor qulity and reliability
By pux

2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

got used '06 325xi 6sp in '10 with 62k. Its fast, handles great, holds road great, design is superb. May be a short on space for families, and bigger people. Very pricy to maintain especially if you don't know much about cars or prefer dealership service but the car is intended for richer audience hence the costs. But its very poorly built(German assembly), front handles began sticking and you can't close the door after you already got in, so you have to reach out to push the handle!! every time!on a Bimmer, come on!sticky buttons inside!i mean you have to push with all your power! within 1st year 3 check engines.2 times parts sending electric impulse to sparkplgs, anothr VANOS problem.

design, good fuel economy for a 6 cyl car. Cons.: , assembly quality, reliability of some parts, pricey service.

automanual tranny could think quicker. though its a luxury car all service is the same as for not premium segment cars, so don't overpay just because it's a bimmer. it takes more oil, but replaceing it is not more labor or time consuming than doing it in civic or corolla, the same about brake pads or battery. diy will save lots of money for you. But better yet buy a japan alternative, same room, about the same performance less headache. no need to overpay like 8-10k for leather and look. or buy new:)