2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Suburb driving machine
By donkeypunch321 on 08/16/14 13:56 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The way this car pulls, brakes and handles is nothing short of perfection. After having this car in the shop (for water damage that was my fault) I got a 2010 Passat rental. I am glad I did as it just made me appreciate the performance of this BMW all the more. One major flaw though is that all the wiring is beneath the floor carpeting and the panels actually lead the water to the electrical wiring and modules (super poor design). So when I left my windows open and it rained, it fried my electrical wiring and burnt a hole in my carpet ($6000 bill). ***So make sure you get quality rubber mats to keep rain and snow from penetrating the carpet from your shoes or windows open when it rains.

The life of your car is dependent upon the way you maintain it.
By jatoops on 03/01/14 11:01 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've never read so many poor reviews on a vehicle that was the World Car of the Year for 2006 (its first year of production). I used to be a BMW service employee at Bill Jacobs BMW of Naperville. I saw countless '06 325i's and 330i's. Shockingly, the customers who performed recommended services at the right times rarely had complaints regarding the 3's reliability, and since returned to buy newer models. BMW's aren't made to be run into the ground by drivers who have zero regard for taking care of their car. I've loyally taken care of my car. It's 8 years old with 82,000 miles and all I've replaced unexpectedly is a taillight bulb. Take care of your cars, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Read before you purchase
By as28 on 01/23/13 16:18 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: Performance, drive experience Cons: Reliability, cost to own. Either lease this car or make sure you can afford to be late to work - to drop it off at the repair shop a few times a year. Read the common issues on the web from most BMW owners. - Water Pump, Shift Display unit (sport mode), engine coils, cylinder head (known issue), bushings, differential, tensioner pulley and on and on. Issues so common, I sent BMW corp the web links and they paid for the repairs. Car is not worth the trouble. Due diligence and experience has dissolved any brand affinity I have for BMW. Good luck with the techs -if the computer doesnt show them what's wrong they have to rely on trial and error

It's great, when it works
By csarson on 04/14/12 08:07 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband had this car built in Germany to U.S. specs. It is his pride and joy, & has lived up to his expectations as far as the driving experience. We live in PA and the car performs great on narrow, winding roads in all conditions - though the suspension is WAY too tight for Pittsburgh potholes. Unfortunately it is constantly in the shop, & repairs are not cheap. My husband travels a lot & has been stranded multiple times, and been towed multiple times. He was stranded for two weeks when the steering lock went, but usually it is the tires - one FELL OFF about a month ago on the freeway. My advice - don't try this without a 100K warranty. And don't expect it to reliably get you anywhere

Defective key
By ecs148 on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2006 330xi with 24,000 miles. Paid about $400 for Comfort Access. Engine should start with push button with key in my pocket. Key stopped working. Clearly defective. Won’t work with key in dashboard slot or with new battery. Dealer wants new key for $480. No wear and tear involved. Customer relations won’t replace defective key at no charge. This is clearly technology gone mad.

Ultimate Drive
By ULTDRIV on 05/11/10 12:56 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased a fully loaded 330xi with the sport package in 2006. It is a blast to drive! I've topped out at 130mph and it felt like normal highway speed...quiet and smooth. High speed turns and winding roads are a blast. This car loves to race and is extremely comfortable at all speeds. Yes, you will feel the road, that's why it's a sports car...that's why it is fun! If you want a softer ride, do not get the sport package. It is made to be driven and I hit 100mph+ whenever I can on an open stretch of highway. Four years of trouble free ownership thus far. Only problem was the electronic steering wheel lock which was fixed quickly under warranty. BMW is the best car I've ever owned.

Poor reliability
By Freshies on 12/11/09 12:15 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my BMW since 10/2005. Though I LOVE the way the car drives, that love does not offset the dissatisfaction I get from living with this car. It cannot last more than a few months without some problem that needs to be resolved at the dealership. I've had a bad fuel line, grinding noise in the front suspension, failed power locking mechanism x2, failed power window regulator, broken front headlight washers x2, peeling paint from the interior handles x2, random steering wheel locking, active cruise control faults, and more. I've never had a car with so many problems, and I'm terribly disappointed in it. My dealer is not the most helpful either, which compounds my dissatisfaction.

Adios, Bimmer
By mariobgoode on 11/22/09 07:38 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 1st Bimmer & due to RFT's, my last. I enjoy driving long distances on week-ends & wanted to experience the ultimate driving experience after 20 yrs w/ Audis. I liked the power and pep, but it's not my preferred ride in wet or snowy roads. The RFT's are nice but the ride is so rough on less than perfect roads, it outweighs everything else. Dissatisfaction shows: 24K miles after 4 years. I use non-RFT's now w/ a jack & spare, w/c BMW does not offer, until trade-in time. Bottom line: too much money for mediocre design/planning, arrogant & unfriendly customer service.

BMW 330xi
By Jeff on 11/09/09 07:14 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently had my second child so I needed to upgrade to a bigger car, I'm coming from a 2004 325ci. I was really excited to move to a bigger car with more power and a manual transmission. However, the first corner I took almost made me regret my decision. I did not realize how much of a difference the sport suspension made. Therefore, I wanted to warn any potential buyer to make sure you do not want the sports suspension. The car is fine and still fun to drive, however, I do miss the sport suspensions. FYI... the xi does not come with sport suspension.

Lured by 0.9% CPO...
By Mike T on 09/01/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded my original 5 speed 525i for this 330xi after prowling the lot for months. Same color combination, 4 years newer. Wow. I guess there comes a time when you have to admit that time marches forward and the new features are awesome...bluetooth, Logic 7 and AWD are light years ahead of the 02 525i, plus this is faster and tighter on curves.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.