Used 2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Suburb driving machine
By donkeypunch321

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The way this car pulls, brakes and handles is nothing short of perfection. After having this car in the shop (for water damage that was my fault) I got a 2010 Passat rental. I am glad I did as it just made me appreciate the performance of this BMW all the more. One major flaw though is that all the wiring is beneath the floor carpeting and the panels actually lead the water to the electrical wiring and modules (super poor design). So when I left my windows open and it rained, it fried my electrical wiring and burnt a hole in my carpet ($6000 bill). ***So make sure you get quality rubber mats to keep rain and snow from penetrating the carpet from your shoes or windows open when it rains.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling and breaking performance.

Suggested Improvements

Make the wiring beneath the carpet water proof.

The life of your car is dependent upon the way you maintain it.
By jatoops

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've never read so many poor reviews on a vehicle that was the World Car of the Year for 2006 (its first year of production). I used to be a BMW service employee at Bill Jacobs BMW of Naperville. I saw countless '06 325i's and 330i's. Shockingly, the customers who performed recommended services at the right times rarely had complaints regarding the 3's reliability, and since returned to buy newer models. BMW's aren't made to be run into the ground by drivers who have zero regard for taking care of their car. I've loyally taken care of my car. It's 8 years old with 82,000 miles and all I've replaced unexpectedly is a taillight bulb. Take care of your cars, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Favorite Features

When I first test drove a 3 series, I was shocked at how heavy the steering was. I was used to the feather-like effort of a 2010 E-class coupe. After buying the 330 and driving it, I've grown to love the heavy steering - it's natural feeling and provides excellent feedback. The Logic7 sound system is incredibly good and quality made. The engine is on another level, and the sound is even better. xDrive is effective through even heavy Chicago snowstorms. The car tracks well even with all-season tires. The driving experience truly makes you feel in complete mechanical control without being too "raw" to perform as a luxury car. The ride is solid. Not floaty, but not harsh either.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are abysmal. Flimsy and inconveniently located. Under heavy acceleration or braking, a bottle of water will go flying. Some interior surfaces wear more quickly than others. An alarm system is not standard - instead the car comes pre-wired, and the install is $600 at any certified dealer, where the install should be done. On a car with BMW logo on its hood and running a $45,000+ sticker brand new, an alarm system should be standard.

Read before you purchase
By as28

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: Performance, drive experience Cons: Reliability, cost to own. Either lease this car or make sure you can afford to be late to work - to drop it off at the repair shop a few times a year. Read the common issues on the web from most BMW owners. - Water Pump, Shift Display unit (sport mode), engine coils, cylinder head (known issue), bushings, differential, tensioner pulley and on and on. Issues so common, I sent BMW corp the web links and they paid for the repairs. Car is not worth the trouble. Due diligence and experience has dissolved any brand affinity I have for BMW. Good luck with the techs -if the computer doesnt show them what's wrong they have to rely on trial and error

Favorite Features

Performance.. Hug the road, go cart experience. A drivers car. Suggest looking into other, more reliable vehicles if you are going to own a car.

Suggested Improvements

Use a metal, instead of a plastic engine parts. For $50k you should be embarrassed of the way you cut corners BMW. Spend less time paying sound engineers to create "the perfect blinker sound" and use that money to create a sound vehicle that lasts. Most people don't use 80% of the over-engineered features BMW has wasted time on. As a BMW mechanic told said to me, "We call them The Ultimate Fixing Machine" Shouldn't reliability be a standard feature? Guess not. Practice Quality Control and Assurance, and give us some internal substance.

It's great, when it works
By csarson

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband had this car built in Germany to U.S. specs. It is his pride and joy, & has lived up to his expectations as far as the driving experience. We live in PA and the car performs great on narrow, winding roads in all conditions - though the suspension is WAY too tight for Pittsburgh potholes. Unfortunately it is constantly in the shop, & repairs are not cheap. My husband travels a lot & has been stranded multiple times, and been towed multiple times. He was stranded for two weeks when the steering lock went, but usually it is the tires - one FELL OFF about a month ago on the freeway. My advice - don't try this without a 100K warranty. And don't expect it to reliably get you anywhere

Favorite Features

Its performance will save you if you drive like a maniac on icy roads. Heated seats, infinitely adjustable seats - enough said. Headrests need to be able to move further back though.

Suggested Improvements

There has to be something wrong with the car that it eats tires this fast - they wear unevenly, get bulges, and separate from the wheel. The local tire shop has started giving us frequent customer discounts. The worst part of BMW is the dealership. They treat you really nicely when you come in, but as far as actually fixing problems (even one they caused - halogen headlight casing found to be cracked after servicing, causing a rusted and broken motor), it's often a fight. With a car that breaks this much, and costs this much, you'd think they'd be more accommodating.

Defective key
By ecs148

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2006 330xi with 24,000 miles. Paid about $400 for Comfort Access. Engine should start with push button with key in my pocket. Key stopped working. Clearly defective. Won’t work with key in dashboard slot or with new battery. Dealer wants new key for $480. No wear and tear involved. Customer relations won’t replace defective key at no charge. This is clearly technology gone mad.