Used 2006 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2006 330CI used purchase
By graeme silvera

2006 BMW 3 Series 330Ci 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Went from a 2000 Z3 to this as i still wanted a convertible with the excellent handling and fun to drive capabilities of the Z3 but something more "practical". This car is amazing to drive and can fit 3 kids with luggage for the weekend with dad to boot! Highly recommend that you "shark" the car as the performance and throttle response is like night and day - dont know why they dont do this at the factory. Also recommend that you install a short shift kit, both upgrades will make a great car even better. So far no major problems in over 30,000kms of spirited driving.

Acceleration, handling, amazing expanding trunk that can hold an elephant.

cheap plastic interior parts

Great driving car
By dic_camarillo

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We thoroughly enjoy our 2006 BMW 325i sedan. Ours has a sport package, which includes larger wheels (looks nice), sport steering wheel, but most important is the sport seats. Dual power seats with power side bolsters and manual seat bottom extenders. Compared to our 2009 328i (Premium - no sport), the seats on the '06 are so much better. The ride comfort isn't as good as the '09, but it's still good for a performance sedan. The fit and finish is still good, materials are very well made and have held up well. Paint still looks good, except for the repainted bumpers from a parking lot ding (factory paint is so much better than a body shop repair). Overall, we're very happy!

Handling, smooth idle, precise steering, fade resistant brakes, good looks, quality materials, low maintenance and repairs - you must keep up with maintenance or you'll pay later. Great visibility, feels like an extension of me, comfortable seats, good long distance driving car, smooth on road, lots of front leg room, good stereo, trip computer and all the nice creature comforts.

Needs a little more back seat leg room. Center hump is a bit tall, so car is really a 4 passenger car. A little more power would be nice - our '09 328i is a perfect mix between power and gas mileage.

Suburb driving machine
By donkeypunch321

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The way this car pulls, brakes and handles is nothing short of perfection. After having this car in the shop (for water damage that was my fault) I got a 2010 Passat rental. I am glad I did as it just made me appreciate the performance of this BMW all the more. One major flaw though is that all the wiring is beneath the floor carpeting and the panels actually lead the water to the electrical wiring and modules (super poor design). So when I left my windows open and it rained, it fried my electrical wiring and burnt a hole in my carpet ($6000 bill). ***So make sure you get quality rubber mats to keep rain and snow from penetrating the carpet from your shoes or windows open when it rains.

Engine, handling and breaking performance.

Make the wiring beneath the carpet water proof.

Would not purchase another BMW
By h13cyl

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

In 2006 I purchase a new 325I. Have own many different type of cars and none have disappointed like this 2006 325I. Here is the history of the money pit; In 2006 I purchase a new 325I. The bad; head replaced, valve cover-broken bolts, door handle sticking, water pump, rear window replaced because of faulty defogger grid , rear windows sometime work, starter motor, ignition coils, less than 90k on my car. No more than a money pit. The Good; fun to drive.

The life of your car is dependent upon the way you maintain it.
By jatoops

2006 BMW 3 Series 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've never read so many poor reviews on a vehicle that was the World Car of the Year for 2006 (its first year of production). I used to be a BMW service employee at Bill Jacobs BMW of Naperville. I saw countless '06 325i's and 330i's. Shockingly, the customers who performed recommended services at the right times rarely had complaints regarding the 3's reliability, and since returned to buy newer models. BMW's aren't made to be run into the ground by drivers who have zero regard for taking care of their car. I've loyally taken care of my car. It's 8 years old with 82,000 miles and all I've replaced unexpectedly is a taillight bulb. Take care of your cars, you'll be amazed at the difference.

When I first test drove a 3 series, I was shocked at how heavy the steering was. I was used to the feather-like effort of a 2010 E-class coupe. After buying the 330 and driving it, I've grown to love the heavy steering - it's natural feeling and provides excellent feedback. The Logic7 sound system is incredibly good and quality made. The engine is on another level, and the sound is even better. xDrive is effective through even heavy Chicago snowstorms. The car tracks well even with all-season tires. The driving experience truly makes you feel in complete mechanical control without being too "raw" to perform as a luxury car. The ride is solid. Not floaty, but not harsh either.

The cupholders are abysmal. Flimsy and inconveniently located. Under heavy acceleration or braking, a bottle of water will go flying. Some interior surfaces wear more quickly than others. An alarm system is not standard - instead the car comes pre-wired, and the install is $600 at any certified dealer, where the install should be done. On a car with BMW logo on its hood and running a $45,000+ sticker brand new, an alarm system should be standard.