Great used car
By zoolander1 on
2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
I bought this '05 in Jan/2012 therefore was a 7 yr old car with only 48k mi when I purchased it. It came with most goodies except for Navi or leather. It's my wife's car so we have put only 7k mi in a year. I love the weight distribution of the car. The dimensions are flawless and it trully drives like a new car. It was well taken care of by prior owners and it shows. MPG is ok, I get usually 23.5 combined. It gets way better once on the road, I can get about 27 under normal driving conditions. I was hesitant to get a used/out of warranty BMW as repairs could be costly but so far it was been pretty reliable. I do recommend this as a used car purchase.
Favorite Features
Interior layout and materials. Not leather but leatherette seems pretty durable and shows minimal signs of aging. It's a pretty classic design. It aged gracefully and since it was always garaged, all rubber, trimmings and headlights show no sun damage making it appear fresh off the dealership. I love how nimble, firm it drives on the highway. Oil changes can be expensive as it takes about 8 qt of synthetic oil so be ready to spend about $100 per visit. But the way the engine was built, it can go 15k mi without an oil change. The onboard monitor will let you know when it's time.
Suggested Improvements
It's a little bit underpowered. 184 hp for today's standards make the car seem a little heavy at times. The shiftable automatic tranny is a little slow, clumsy. I'm guessing it's the car's way to show its age. Not complaining though; it's an 8 yr old car. Cup holders! anyone who has this car can tell you about the design flaw in the center console where the second cup holder can only be accessed by lifting the arm rest.