Love this car
By baydriver300 on
2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
Purchased used in '10 with only 20K miles. It now reads 45K and has just had it's first 'major' service at my local dealer and it was a shock! Folks say that they are expensive to maintain? First year was cheap! The dealer had all it's service history and all it needed was an oil change. My last service shocked me at how components wear quickly on these cars. Yes, you could probably go 100K with just oil changes/inspections but you are asking for trouble down the road if you plan to keep it. Control rod bushings @ 40K $650, brake and cooling flush @ 40K $289 each! etc. etc. If you want to make the car last AND maintain PEAK performance/handling these things are necessary.
Favorite Features
Favorite features? What's not to like! Looks, joy to drive, performance (although would like a little extra oomph at times - next car perhaps a 330 Ci), comfort, convenience items, gas mileage is OK (average 24mpg combo driving, 30 on the freeway) Trunk space is good for a convertible. Someone said "eats tires"?! my original ContiPro Contacts lasted 40K on the front and they are cheap to replace (I do NOT have the sports suspension). Also brake dust mentioned? All new cars with alloys and discs shed dust, just clean the wheels! my brakes are original and have 60% on the front.... I say look ahead and anticipate while driving.
Suggested Improvements
I would like to see the suspension components last longer than 40K!! It seems that BMW build the car to work 'like new' for the life of the warranty (40,000 miles). After that you need to be ready to find a GOOD independent BMW mechanic and if you want peak performance and plan to keep the vehicle running 'like new' expect some hefty bills. If that don't sit well there is always Lexus / Infiniti etc.