Used 2005 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Worlds Worst Vehicle
By lknarea

2005 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Do not get me wrong, Really Nice "Looking" Car. That is it ,though. Rides like a board, Problems with top, Ac, Wheel Bearings, Alignment issues, Power windows stopped working all under 40k miles. German engineered junk. Same as a VW. Problematic. Unreal for a $50k new price tag. So dissapointed, I sold it and lost $10k, But ius what worth it because I figured That would be the cost of a few Scheduled Maint. intervals. Seriously, No Joke, My wife loved the looks, But PLEASE, PLEASE trust me, It will be a Bad mistake to purchase one.

looks, That is it.

Build Quality Ride Ground Clearance -- ripped off spoiler twice-- Engineering

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Doc M

2005 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Having read car magazine reviews on the BMW 3 series since childhood I had always wondered if they were truly as good as advertised. After having a 330Ci for the past 5 years, I can attest to you that they definitely are. This car is amazing - a perfect balance of sport and luxury, utterly dependable, well built, and low maintenance. I have not had a single problem with the car, and it still looks great. Very functional - I use it to commute to work and occasionally take it on cross-country moonlighting gigs. It is a joy to drive, and can actually carry quite a bit with the rear seats down. Fit and finish is outstanding.

Balance of luxury and sport, safety features, acceleration, gas mileage, fit and finish, reliability

No More BMW's
By Joe

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Day 1: Check engine light came on. I had to take some time off my work and took it to the dealer. No loaner. I had to rent a car. They called me and they could not really found the problem after swapping coils and injectors between cylinders. After owning the car for 3 years (60k now), I can assure you that these are the most unreliable cars. The main problem, in my opinion, is the buggy engine management software that cannot function without problems for long. Basically it throws these errors and lights all the time in your face. Mine is 6 years old now and the dealer for the last two years could not figure out why I am getting a misfire on cylinder 3, 4, etc.. Avoid

Reliability.. Reliability.. Reliability.. Reliability.. Reliability..

Not a muscle car - a driving machine
By Brad

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Needing a second commuter car and having owned BMW's before, I chose this high mileage 325i as my toy/commuter. It was not a mistake. After a thorough check up by a good BMW certified mechanic, I was off. Now after adding another 7k miles to it, still no problems. This car rips through the turns and has the size and punchiness to get through heavy traffic but gives u a thrill each turn when the road opens up. It's style is classic and turns heads in the parking lot and at street lights. This is a driver's car and it gives you a sense of control you won't get from any other "luxury" car. Some people won't like the firm ride, for others, that's what its all about - being one with the road.

It's plain, simple yet elegant dash design lets you focus on the road with solid inputs from the tach and speedometer. This car was built for turns and precision driving and its handling has no equal. Very few cars can stay with me in a hairpin. That's where I lose the V8's and wannabe's.

Needed about 50 -75 more hp. Better stock stereo - my guess is at 135 mph on the autobahn, the German engineers figured you wouldn't need the distraction.

Awesome!
By fiatluxphoto

2005 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All in all this is an awesome car. Ride is a bit stiff over MNs many chuck holes. This could be the suspension option but the 3 series model is known for this trait. It matters more to me since its difficult 'for me' to manually shift between gears moving over a rough road. Its sporty suspension makes handling/cornering great The stereo sound quality is incredible but the radio/ipod interface need improvement. Its basic and you cant tell what song you have playing on your ipod on the radio display. Just playlist/track (01-001 etc) Other than that, its a great ride. Quiet. Fast. Relatively efficient and very very reliable. The missed 10s are my personal opinion. They may not matter to you

The AWD is terrific. Being in MN a rear wheel drive car can be difficult to get around in the ice and snow. This car climbs right up an icy hill from a dead stop. The AWD does not seem to affect the turning radius. Parking is sharp. On the freeway or smooth roads the car is elegant and wonderful.

Remove the large red LED from the rear view mirror. There is no need for it there and I feel it looks obtrusive. The AWD reduces 0-60 times but not by much.