Used 2005 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

If you want value, don't buy a BMW, lease it instead
By hmellem

2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005.
It ran great the first 4 years without many problems.
Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south.
My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds.
I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it.
Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time.
Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse.
Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair.
It never was.

Horrible
By bobbypeterson

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 325i Automatic for a little over a year putting 14k miles on it (Im 17). I have had so many problems, I purchased the car for $10k with 116k miles on it. I have put over $5000 in repairs, every month it seemed to be a new problem. I still have yet to fix a leak in my power steering rack that will cost about $1700. Worst first car. Too much to take care of, sadly the carfax is clean on it too which makes it really strange. Take my advice and do not but this car. I feel I just got a problematic car. Shunned upon BMW now, I love how it runs just too many repairs. Getting rid of it hopefully soon.

I love the way it rides, fast car. Comfortable.

Not having everything under the sun break on it.

Great used car
By zoolander1

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this '05 in Jan/2012 therefore was a 7 yr old car with only 48k mi when I purchased it. It came with most goodies except for Navi or leather. It's my wife's car so we have put only 7k mi in a year.
I love the weight distribution of the car. The dimensions are flawless and it trully drives like a new car. It was well taken care of by prior owners and it shows.
MPG is ok, I get usually 23.5 combined. It gets way better once on the road, I can get about 27 under normal driving conditions.
I was hesitant to get a used/out of warranty BMW as repairs could be costly but so far it was been pretty reliable. I do recommend this as a used car purchase.

Interior layout and materials. Not leather but leatherette seems pretty durable and shows minimal signs of aging. It's a pretty classic design. It aged gracefully and since it was always garaged, all rubber, trimmings and headlights show no sun damage making it appear fresh off the dealership. I love how nimble, firm it drives on the highway. Oil changes can be expensive as it takes about 8 qt of synthetic oil so be ready to spend about $100 per visit. But the way the engine was built, it can go 15k mi without an oil change. The onboard monitor will let you know when it's time.

It's a little bit underpowered. 184 hp for today's standards make the car seem a little heavy at times. The shiftable automatic tranny is a little slow, clumsy. I'm guessing it's the car's way to show its age. Not complaining though; it's an 8 yr old car. Cup holders! anyone who has this car can tell you about the design flaw in the center console where the second cup holder can only be accessed by lifting the arm rest.

Not a problem 60k to Now 98k
By npalafax

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I got tired of my Mazda6, I dont know why the other reviewers seemed to have such bad problems. I have only had to do normal maintenance ie brakes ect. The only thing I did have to replace was the front control arm bushings which is normal on these cars and can be done cheaply if you do it yourself vs go to a stealership. The car handles great and made me a lifer with BMW always puts a smile on my face and is extremely fun to drive. I will drive it till I cant drive it any more. My next car will with out a doubt be a BMW, it may be an older gen but still looks great and the people who have driven it ended up selling their cars for a BMW. Once your hooked your hooked!!!!!

Navigation, Love the Leatherette feels great very durable and didnt take an animal to make it. Handling, Power, Reliability if you take care of it.

Everything is an option, so make a list of what you want and shop around for the right fit. If buying used make sure you have service records! And get it inspected. I have nav, moon roof auto wipers and lights, but wish I had heated seats and Xenon lights. So do shop around for options in these cars!

best car
By jacob20

2005 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

i bought my 2005 bmw 330xi in 2010 with 80k on it it ran just like new the only thing i had to do to maintain it was change the tires and brakes which in any car you have to do. now today it has 125k on it and it runs better than ever this is a great reliable car and fun to drive it wont let you down