Used 2005 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Not a problem 60k to Now 98k
By npalafax

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I got tired of my Mazda6, I dont know why the other reviewers seemed to have such bad problems. I have only had to do normal maintenance ie brakes ect. The only thing I did have to replace was the front control arm bushings which is normal on these cars and can be done cheaply if you do it yourself vs go to a stealership. The car handles great and made me a lifer with BMW always puts a smile on my face and is extremely fun to drive. I will drive it till I cant drive it any more. My next car will with out a doubt be a BMW, it may be an older gen but still looks great and the people who have driven it ended up selling their cars for a BMW. Once your hooked your hooked!!!!!

Favorite Features

Navigation, Love the Leatherette feels great very durable and didnt take an animal to make it. Handling, Power, Reliability if you take care of it.

Suggested Improvements

Everything is an option, so make a list of what you want and shop around for the right fit. If buying used make sure you have service records! And get it inspected. I have nav, moon roof auto wipers and lights, but wish I had heated seats and Xenon lights. So do shop around for options in these cars!

best car
By jacob20

2005 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

i bought my 2005 bmw 330xi in 2010 with 80k on it it ran just like new the only thing i had to do to maintain it was change the tires and brakes which in any car you have to do. now today it has 125k on it and it runs better than ever this is a great reliable car and fun to drive it wont let you down

Update: Ultimate Costly Machine
By l3323

2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Update: I have had my car for about four years now and this car is very fun to drive, the handling is undescribable. However, this car is not reliable in any way. I realize that BMWs are meant to be toy cars- just cars you keep in the garage and drive on the weekends. I have drain sooo much money into this car, that I could have possibly bought another car-cash. I purchased my car at 60k and only placed an additional 65k since getting the car. Suspension goes out completely, window strips wears easily, and to top it off the windshield motor has gone up. I have spent annually 2k a year in repairs. BEWARE! I am going to a Acura in a couple of weeks, is it a BMW? No, but at least its reliable

Suggested Improvements

Reliablity, when people spend alot of money on a car, they expect for the car to have minimal problems for the first 100k.

Love this car
By baydriver300

2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in '10 with only 20K miles. It now reads 45K and has just had it's first 'major' service at my local dealer and it was a shock! Folks say that they are expensive to maintain? First year was cheap! The dealer had all it's service history and all it needed was an oil change. My last service shocked me at how components wear quickly on these cars. Yes, you could probably go 100K with just oil changes/inspections but you are asking for trouble down the road if you plan to keep it. Control rod bushings @ 40K $650, brake and cooling flush @ 40K $289 each! etc. etc. If you want to make the car last AND maintain PEAK performance/handling these things are necessary.

Favorite Features

Favorite features? What's not to like! Looks, joy to drive, performance (although would like a little extra oomph at times - next car perhaps a 330 Ci), comfort, convenience items, gas mileage is OK (average 24mpg combo driving, 30 on the freeway) Trunk space is good for a convertible. Someone said "eats tires"?! my original ContiPro Contacts lasted 40K on the front and they are cheap to replace (I do NOT have the sports suspension). Also brake dust mentioned? All new cars with alloys and discs shed dust, just clean the wheels! my brakes are original and have 60% on the front.... I say look ahead and anticipate while driving.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the suspension components last longer than 40K!! It seems that BMW build the car to work 'like new' for the life of the warranty (40,000 miles). After that you need to be ready to find a GOOD independent BMW mechanic and if you want peak performance and plan to keep the vehicle running 'like new' expect some hefty bills. If that don't sit well there is always Lexus / Infiniti etc.

smell funny, BUT ITS NOT
By heatherenea93

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have 2005 325i i got it for my birthday this past year of june 2010. So anyways when we got it like 2 months after we got it the air went out. Well the guy at the dealership something happened and Someone else bought it out or something idk. But when that happened we lost our warrently. well we thought heck its a bmw what could possibly go wrong. Well like 2 months later air went out got it Fixed $1,200. Today Got home and it started smelling on the inside. Looked smoke under the hood oh no. WRONG Open the hood no smoke The rain was falling behind the motor and sizzling. But the smell was only coming from inside. The raining hitting the hood made made it steamy.. Please HELP?

Favorite Features

I love the speed. altought i do not race people or stomp it. It's my baby i try my hardest to take care of it. Also I love the handlen. I love everything about this car, looks, feel, etc. BUT the trouble im having I hate. I think they may have tried something new on those year models

Suggested Improvements

Improvements- The inside interor by the from window, back window, and seat belts. everyone i know with that year model and earlier all have the same stuff as it. its just falling of or coming undone. Its way to thin. Everyonee i know has ripped there's off where its done came apart. But it looks trashy unless u have tented windows and ur car is black with the darker color.