2005 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
perception is the name of the game
By nigthhawk779 on 10/29/11 05:36 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned it since new. It was maintained by the dealer of course until 50,000 which came quickly. The only two complaints that I have is that the skip plate is too fragile. If it touches the curb it will come off and sometimes you drive over the parts before you know it is failing. ($700.00) each time. So you learn not to park near the curb. A few times preminum gas was not available had to use 1/2 & 1/2. The back seat is hard to get any use out of. THe seat belt sets too far behind you when you first egage it. People (service personnel) are always surprised that it takes 8 guarts of oil.

Car great , reviewers bad
By dice6 on 09/26/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have added a second BMW to my stable and this one was a gamble. 146k miles but it looks like it just left the showroom. How many cars can still handle like new after this kind of mileage? Reviewers complaining about their car turning off or tires that need replacing or khigh cost of oem parts should get a clue. Get a good mechanic. Buy tires when worn ( hey it's not unusual), check into replacement parts if genuine BMW or oem parts give you $ agita. What about the guy that just figured out that a rear wheel drive sucks in snow?? Hey, ever heard of the all wheel drive xi model??? Lexus? You want a cushy drive? Get a bigger car but don't try to compare these to Japanese cars Ugh

Run Forrest Run! (Do NOT buy this car!)
By okhunter on 09/20/11 14:57 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All of the hype you hear about German engineering is pure unadulterated bugle oil. I'd take any car built in the orient, including a Hyundai, before I'd ever own another BMW. Parts literally fall off (outside mirrors, vent controls), the power top has malfunctioned on many occasions, this thing EATS tires, the water pump went out, the coolant reservoir cracked, brake life is a joke, brake dust is never-ending, the windows squeak, and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head. The dealership is the only one in town, and believe me they know it. Not once have I ever taken it in for service that I didn't have to leave it overnight! And all this for a sticker price over $50K!

Love AND Reliability
By halohead on 01/13/11 05:35 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had my 2005 325 convert for 4 years (bought it used), put 40k miles on it, and have treated it well. In return, it has been a joy to drive, beautiful to look at, and way more reliable than the Ford and Chevy I've owned--on a par with the stalwart Altima on which I put 100k miles. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. There are things I'd change (some of the interior fixtures could be better quality). But nothing beats hearing that growly engine and feeling the car drive like a part of myself.

Great Car
By Chris on 08/19/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply put, this car is superb. It is a true driver's car as the connection to the road is unmatched and the handling/performance is on point. Purchased used; previous owner did not take proper care of the vehicle so I spent about $1000 to get the car in top shape; his loss, my gain as I got a great deal on the car to begin with. For those complaining about the firm ride, buy a Lexus, you will be much happier; this is not your car. For those complaining about the performance of the 325, it's a 325, what did you expect? Finally, for those complaining about the price and cost to maintain, its a BMW; if you can't appreciate the unparalleled driving experience, go buy an Acura or Infiniti.

I become more impressed each passing day
By Gene on 07/12/10 04:56 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

In order to validate BMW's trademark cliche, The Ultimate Driving Machine, you need to sit yourself behind the wheel. The BMW brand is a timeless vehicle that always seem to stay in style much longer than its competitors. I am impressed how easy the 3 series is to drive. The vehicle is so balanced and follows your commands so effortlessly. I have heard some negative remarks about the 3 series. Preventive maintenance is necessary for a vehicle that offers so much. If you do not take care of it than you can't expect excellent reliability. Take care of it and it will not let you down.

Ready to TRADE!
By Money Guzzler on 06/23/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle in 2008 and 2wks after purchase I had a ton of issues. Had new engine dropped in the car after purchase due to dealership negligence. After the repairs I have had minor issues nothing major. So far I have spent about $500 on repairs not covered under warranty so I consider myself lucky compared to most 3 series owners. Just dropped $800 on new tires and now need an alignment that will total about $240. This car looks nice and rides sweet, but once they go down you're out of luck! The maintenance is absolutely ridiculous and the rear wheel drive is CRAP in snowy weather. So I have decided to trade this money guzzler in for a low maintenance ride.

2005 325 CiC Private Party Purchase
By neprop on 06/21/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used in San Diego with 37K miles. All package options. What a fun car to drive; looks great; rides great. Mileage is good for this type of vehicle and this is a relatively heavy vehicle; you can feel the soundness of the car and you can hear it as the doors close. Best part for me is that I prefer the E46 styling over the newer look and by buying used I paid circa $20K instead of $50K plus new. Large enough for a family of four for drive arounds, and perfect for two.

Not Again
By Not Again on 06/12/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I traded in my 1998 honda accord coupe for a bmw 2005 325I. i am so disappointed, my car keeps shutting off while driving. I am amazed no one has slammed in to the back of me. Everyone tells me that the car won't start cause it sounds like it's starving for fuel, although there is plenty. I have had the fuel filters changed last year, again yesterday my car shut off while driving and had to be towed to my mechanic. I am becoming very concerned because i could be driving on the highway and all of a sudden it shuts off.

Maybe a Lemon
By Dia on 05/21/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 325i from a friend who had purchased it at auction a year earlier. I travel 50 miles one way to work daily, so the miles have been piling up. The car had 35K miles when I bought it. It now has 94K miles. Have spent close to $3,000 so far, including driving side window controller replacement, thermostat replacement, bush kit replacement, and new set of tires. Seems every time I get one thing fixed, something else shows up. Now, gotta have brake job and replace two worn hoses. Also, had accident (no fault), and now fighting with insurance co. because repairs not up to par. But still love to drive it! And at 94K miles, I guess the repairs are expected.