2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
E46 - The Good and the Bad
By mrmagoo157 on 09/01/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought a used '05 325i in mid '09 with 80k miles. There were a few minor things the car needed and I am a former mechanic, so I had checked the car over well enough to know it wasn't in terrible shape. The issues were minimal at first but then the list started and hasn't stopped. We have put 60k miles on this 9 year old car and have done the following; various plastic clips/parts all over the car, windshield washer pump, coolant hoses and expansion tank, oil filter housing gasket, front control arm bushings, belt tensioners and idlers, A/C evaporator core, transmission service, two window regulators, fuel pump & filter, etc. I could go on but I'm out of space. Plan on spending a lot.

If you want value, don't buy a BMW, lease it instead
By hmellem on 03/21/13 11:32 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005. It ran great the first 4 years without many problems. Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south. My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds. I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it. Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time. Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse. Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair. It never was.

Horrible
By bobbypeterson on 03/21/13 05:16 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 325i Automatic for a little over a year putting 14k miles on it (Im 17). I have had so many problems, I purchased the car for $10k with 116k miles on it. I have put over $5000 in repairs, every month it seemed to be a new problem. I still have yet to fix a leak in my power steering rack that will cost about $1700. Worst first car. Too much to take care of, sadly the carfax is clean on it too which makes it really strange. Take my advice and do not but this car. I feel I just got a problematic car. Shunned upon BMW now, I love how it runs just too many repairs. Getting rid of it hopefully soon.

Great used car
By zoolander1 on 01/06/13 11:56 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this '05 in Jan/2012 therefore was a 7 yr old car with only 48k mi when I purchased it. It came with most goodies except for Navi or leather. It's my wife's car so we have put only 7k mi in a year. I love the weight distribution of the car. The dimensions are flawless and it trully drives like a new car. It was well taken care of by prior owners and it shows. MPG is ok, I get usually 23.5 combined. It gets way better once on the road, I can get about 27 under normal driving conditions. I was hesitant to get a used/out of warranty BMW as repairs could be costly but so far it was been pretty reliable. I do recommend this as a used car purchase.

Not a problem 60k to Now 98k
By npalafax on 12/05/12 22:59 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I got tired of my Mazda6, I dont know why the other reviewers seemed to have such bad problems. I have only had to do normal maintenance ie brakes ect. The only thing I did have to replace was the front control arm bushings which is normal on these cars and can be done cheaply if you do it yourself vs go to a stealership. The car handles great and made me a lifer with BMW always puts a smile on my face and is extremely fun to drive. I will drive it till I cant drive it any more. My next car will with out a doubt be a BMW, it may be an older gen but still looks great and the people who have driven it ended up selling their cars for a BMW. Once your hooked your hooked!!!!!

best car
By jacob20 on 07/27/12 04:21 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

i bought my 2005 bmw 330xi in 2010 with 80k on it it ran just like new the only thing i had to do to maintain it was change the tires and brakes which in any car you have to do. now today it has 125k on it and it runs better than ever this is a great reliable car and fun to drive it wont let you down

Update: Ultimate Costly Machine
By l3323 on 02/16/12 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Update: I have had my car for about four years now and this car is very fun to drive, the handling is undescribable. However, this car is not reliable in any way. I realize that BMWs are meant to be toy cars- just cars you keep in the garage and drive on the weekends. I have drain sooo much money into this car, that I could have possibly bought another car-cash. I purchased my car at 60k and only placed an additional 65k since getting the car. Suspension goes out completely, window strips wears easily, and to top it off the windshield motor has gone up. I have spent annually 2k a year in repairs. BEWARE! I am going to a Acura in a couple of weeks, is it a BMW? No, but at least its reliable

smell funny, BUT ITS NOT
By heatherenea93 on 11/22/11 15:48 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have 2005 325i i got it for my birthday this past year of june 2010. So anyways when we got it like 2 months after we got it the air went out. Well the guy at the dealership something happened and Someone else bought it out or something idk. But when that happened we lost our warrently. well we thought heck its a bmw what could possibly go wrong. Well like 2 months later air went out got it Fixed $1,200. Today Got home and it started smelling on the inside. Looked smoke under the hood oh no. WRONG Open the hood no smoke The rain was falling behind the motor and sizzling. But the smell was only coming from inside. The raining hitting the hood made made it steamy.. Please HELP?

Car great , reviewers bad
By dice6 on 09/26/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have added a second BMW to my stable and this one was a gamble. 146k miles but it looks like it just left the showroom. How many cars can still handle like new after this kind of mileage? Reviewers complaining about their car turning off or tires that need replacing or khigh cost of oem parts should get a clue. Get a good mechanic. Buy tires when worn ( hey it's not unusual), check into replacement parts if genuine BMW or oem parts give you $ agita. What about the guy that just figured out that a rear wheel drive sucks in snow?? Hey, ever heard of the all wheel drive xi model??? Lexus? You want a cushy drive? Get a bigger car but don't try to compare these to Japanese cars Ugh

Great Car
By Chris on 08/19/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply put, this car is superb. It is a true driver's car as the connection to the road is unmatched and the handling/performance is on point. Purchased used; previous owner did not take proper care of the vehicle so I spent about $1000 to get the car in top shape; his loss, my gain as I got a great deal on the car to begin with. For those complaining about the firm ride, buy a Lexus, you will be much happier; this is not your car. For those complaining about the performance of the 325, it's a 325, what did you expect? Finally, for those complaining about the price and cost to maintain, its a BMW; if you can't appreciate the unparalleled driving experience, go buy an Acura or Infiniti.