2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Love this car
By baydriver300

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in '10 with only 20K miles. It now reads 45K and has just had it's first 'major' service at my local dealer and it was a shock! Folks say that they are expensive to maintain? First year was cheap! The dealer had all it's service history and all it needed was an oil change. My last service shocked me at how components wear quickly on these cars. Yes, you could probably go 100K with just oil changes/inspections but you are asking for trouble down the road if you plan to keep it. Control rod bushings @ 40K $650, brake and cooling flush @ 40K $289 each! etc. etc. If you want to make the car last AND maintain PEAK performance/handling these things are necessary.

Favorite Features

Favorite features? What's not to like! Looks, joy to drive, performance (although would like a little extra oomph at times - next car perhaps a 330 Ci), comfort, convenience items, gas mileage is OK (average 24mpg combo driving, 30 on the freeway) Trunk space is good for a convertible. Someone said "eats tires"?! my original ContiPro Contacts lasted 40K on the front and they are cheap to replace (I do NOT have the sports suspension). Also brake dust mentioned? All new cars with alloys and discs shed dust, just clean the wheels! my brakes are original and have 60% on the front.... I say look ahead and anticipate while driving.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the suspension components last longer than 40K!! It seems that BMW build the car to work 'like new' for the life of the warranty (40,000 miles). After that you need to be ready to find a GOOD independent BMW mechanic and if you want peak performance and plan to keep the vehicle running 'like new' expect some hefty bills. If that don't sit well there is always Lexus / Infiniti etc.

Love AND Reliability
By halohead

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had my 2005 325 convert for 4 years (bought it used), put 40k miles on it, and have treated it well. In return, it has been a joy to drive, beautiful to look at, and way more reliable than the Ford and Chevy I've owned--on a par with the stalwart Altima on which I put 100k miles. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. There are things I'd change (some of the interior fixtures could be better quality). But nothing beats hearing that growly engine and feeling the car drive like a part of myself.

Favorite Features

Engine; interior comfort; solid construction; reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior finishes are not highest quality; but not so that it ruins the vehicle!

2005 325 CiC Private Party Purchase
By neprop

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used in San Diego with 37K miles. All package options. What a fun car to drive; looks great; rides great. Mileage is good for this type of vehicle and this is a relatively heavy vehicle; you can feel the soundness of the car and you can hear it as the doors close. Best part for me is that I prefer the E46 styling over the newer look and by buying used I paid circa $20K instead of $50K plus new. Large enough for a family of four for drive arounds, and perfect for two.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, and the overall tightness of everything - well thought through design and ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

With the top up it's tough to back up as you can't see via the rear corner sight lines of the car because that's where the structural component of the drop top is. Better radio reception. The short antenna seems to have a hard time pulling in signals. Slightly better/tougher feel to the buttons.

Doesn't get any better.
By captainmp

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

A classy, sports sedan. Puts a Porsche to shame. Beautiful, powerful, sure handling - great soft top with more quiet than most sedans. Take regular care of it and it'll probably outlive you and still remain fun!

Favorite Features

Handling, power beauty.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders - suspect BMW doesn't waste much time on these little conveniences because most people are too busy driving it to be drinking something. Drive it, pull over, rest and relax with a civilized beverage!

Amazing
By Captain of Sports

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

No more power is ever necessary unless you're racing. The car is smoothly quick, quiet and secure. No matter how I try, I haven't made it feel the least bit insecure on windey roads at high speed. It really is AMAZING how much fun it is.

Favorite Features

Heating and air are too complicated and ill explained. They work fine when you finally get all the necessary settings correct. Auto is not auto.

Look out, here I come
By 2boriginal

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

What a fun drive. I wouldn't recommend for really long trips (one, I couldn't fit all of my luggage into the car, two gas mileage isn't the best - but then I don't keep it to 55 either) but for zipping around town... no doubt about it. Love getting all the extra attention!

Favorite Features

Good responsiveness and handling. Drove it on winter roads, not too much of an issue (front wheel drive would take care of the problem)

Suggested Improvements

To raise and lower the top, press the button once and forget it. Don't want to complain since it beats my brother's old corvette manual system :)

325 ci
By Enzo

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It is a very nice car with many interesting features.

Favorite Features

Road handling, passenger mirror tilt to park

Suggested Improvements

The automatic convertible top should work faster. When on the road and sudden rain one get very wet. BMW should think about contacting Bose.

Zooming with Sunshine !
By dave

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I haven't had this much driving in ten years! The convertible is "nifty" and easy to use, and the car handles like a roadster. Feul economy is lousy 17 mpg in the city, but the car is SO much fun to drive that it's worth it ! Loving It !!

Favorite Features

convertible

Suggested Improvements

BMW could give you a little more inside for the money

sun loving
By Jeanne

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is fun to drive & gets a lot of attention on the road. Even though it's not the powerful 330 engine, it handles the Texas hill country curves like a dream!

Favorite Features

Putting the top down with one button, more trunk space than my last BMW convertible due to the new feature.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I could turn the radio on using the steering wheel controls. Kind of defeats the purpose of having them on the steering wheel when you have to turn it on the dash. That is my biggest complaint! I love my car!

This car ROCKS!
By Wendy

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've moved from an 03 Suburban to this 325ci Convertible. They obviously don't compare....the handling power of the BMW is phenomenal. Almost gives you a false sense of security when taking a corner a bit too fast. Also best to utilize the cruise control because you can be going 90 and not even realize it........I'm a new BMW fan!

Favorite Features

Handling, sport seat comfort, sporty look with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Tiny bit more leg room and side room for the back seat passengers. Add seat heaters to the back.