2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
fun but expensive to drive
By agcanada on 02/24/14 16:12 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Germans know how to make a great driving car. The combination of ride and handling, performance and comfort has been elusive for North American and Asian car manufacturers alike - but the Germans have been doing it for years. I bought my 2005 330Ci M Sport used in 2013 with under 40K miles to replace my 2001 Porsche Boxster (also with 40K miles) because I needed a back seat for my kids in my summer daily driver. Having owned a BMW before, I knew I was getting into a high-maintenance car. In my experience, these cars cost more to run than modern Porsches. Be prepared to buy the parts and do the work yourself, or pay big labour bills.

Love this car
By baydriver300 on 02/08/12 16:04 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in '10 with only 20K miles. It now reads 45K and has just had it's first 'major' service at my local dealer and it was a shock! Folks say that they are expensive to maintain? First year was cheap! The dealer had all it's service history and all it needed was an oil change. My last service shocked me at how components wear quickly on these cars. Yes, you could probably go 100K with just oil changes/inspections but you are asking for trouble down the road if you plan to keep it. Control rod bushings @ 40K $650, brake and cooling flush @ 40K $289 each! etc. etc. If you want to make the car last AND maintain PEAK performance/handling these things are necessary.

Run Forrest Run! (Do NOT buy this car!)
By okhunter on 09/20/11 14:57 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All of the hype you hear about German engineering is pure unadulterated bugle oil. I'd take any car built in the orient, including a Hyundai, before I'd ever own another BMW. Parts literally fall off (outside mirrors, vent controls), the power top has malfunctioned on many occasions, this thing EATS tires, the water pump went out, the coolant reservoir cracked, brake life is a joke, brake dust is never-ending, the windows squeak, and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head. The dealership is the only one in town, and believe me they know it. Not once have I ever taken it in for service that I didn't have to leave it overnight! And all this for a sticker price over $50K!

Love AND Reliability
By halohead on 01/13/11 05:35 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had my 2005 325 convert for 4 years (bought it used), put 40k miles on it, and have treated it well. In return, it has been a joy to drive, beautiful to look at, and way more reliable than the Ford and Chevy I've owned--on a par with the stalwart Altima on which I put 100k miles. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. There are things I'd change (some of the interior fixtures could be better quality). But nothing beats hearing that growly engine and feeling the car drive like a part of myself.

2005 325 CiC Private Party Purchase
By neprop on 06/21/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used in San Diego with 37K miles. All package options. What a fun car to drive; looks great; rides great. Mileage is good for this type of vehicle and this is a relatively heavy vehicle; you can feel the soundness of the car and you can hear it as the doors close. Best part for me is that I prefer the E46 styling over the newer look and by buying used I paid circa $20K instead of $50K plus new. Large enough for a family of four for drive arounds, and perfect for two.

Best car ever!
By Draw214 on 05/19/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded in my 2007 Chrysler 300 for a 2005 BMW 330CI Convertible. I know some of you may be thinking, "why would you trade a 2007 for a 2005?". In my case, I wanted something that was both Sportier and more Luxurious than the base model 300. This car "fits the bill" and more than I could have ever expected. I have owned SEVERAL Sports Cars and Luxury Cars, and this car is BY FAR the best of both worlds. It had relatively low mileage (60K) for a 2005, and is a Certified Pre Owned, with the 100K warranty and maintenance package intact. You cannot get a better, more rounded car for the money ($20K) spent, in my honest opinion. I was never a BMW fan, UNTIL NOW!

Worlds Worst Vehicle
By lknarea on 02/02/10 06:17 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Do not get me wrong, Really Nice "Looking" Car. That is it ,though. Rides like a board, Problems with top, Ac, Wheel Bearings, Alignment issues, Power windows stopped working all under 40k miles. German engineered junk. Same as a VW. Problematic. Unreal for a $50k new price tag. So dissapointed, I sold it and lost $10k, But ius what worth it because I figured That would be the cost of a few Scheduled Maint. intervals. Seriously, No Joke, My wife loved the looks, But PLEASE, PLEASE trust me, It will be a Bad mistake to purchase one.

Our Florida Dream Car
By Frankie. & Sue on 09/02/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Having recently moved down to St. Petersburg, Florida from Collingswood, New Jersey, my wife and I decided to trade in our boring 2005 Camry XLE for a Certified Previously Owned 2005 BMW 330Ci Convertible. It is our first Beemer/Bimmer and we love it! There is definitely a reason they call it the Ultimate Driving Machine. It is that incredible connection to the road. Hugging the road as if on a rail and its smooth strong power make a good driver into an excellent driver. This is why it is always #1 in all the car mags...try one and you will be spoiled. It is our Florida Dream Car!

You know you want the convertible
By Lexventura on 05/26/09 22:48 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned this gorgeous pre owned (CPO) car for a month now. I routinely get stopped in parking lots for questions. The style has aged so gracefully, many people think its a new car with the top down. Car is composed at all times. My first BMW (after Lexus, Acura), I didn't expect the hype to be true, but it is: the BMW ride is firm but forgivingly compliant at the same time. No lean, no roll but my wife likes the smoothness better than our Lexus. Car has new Michelin Pilots. Power is more than sufficient. On starting, the exhaust note is a pleasantly refined but assertive rumble. You do sit very low in this car, so be prepared to look up at nearly every other vehicle on the road.

Doesn't get any better.
By captainmp on 11/04/07 01:22 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

A classy, sports sedan. Puts a Porsche to shame. Beautiful, powerful, sure handling - great soft top with more quiet than most sedans. Take regular care of it and it'll probably outlive you and still remain fun!