Used 2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

fun but expensive to drive
By agcanada

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Germans know how to make a great driving car. The combination of ride and handling, performance and comfort has been elusive for North American and Asian car manufacturers alike - but the Germans have been doing it for years. I bought my 2005 330Ci M Sport used in 2013 with under 40K miles to replace my 2001 Porsche Boxster (also with 40K miles) because I needed a back seat for my kids in my summer daily driver. Having owned a BMW before, I knew I was getting into a high-maintenance car. In my experience, these cars cost more to run than modern Porsches. Be prepared to buy the parts and do the work yourself, or pay big labour bills.

Favorite Features

Ride/handling trade-off, performance, classic BMW styling, assembly quality. Lots of fun to drive in the twisties.

Suggested Improvements

The basic car is durable, but what BMW's definition of consumable is too broad, including the entire cooling system, suspension bushings, ball joints, etc. The company that makes a car drive like a BMW but reliable like a Honda or Toyota is going to make a killing!!

Love this car
By baydriver300

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in '10 with only 20K miles. It now reads 45K and has just had it's first 'major' service at my local dealer and it was a shock! Folks say that they are expensive to maintain? First year was cheap! The dealer had all it's service history and all it needed was an oil change. My last service shocked me at how components wear quickly on these cars. Yes, you could probably go 100K with just oil changes/inspections but you are asking for trouble down the road if you plan to keep it. Control rod bushings @ 40K $650, brake and cooling flush @ 40K $289 each! etc. etc. If you want to make the car last AND maintain PEAK performance/handling these things are necessary.

Favorite Features

Favorite features? What's not to like! Looks, joy to drive, performance (although would like a little extra oomph at times - next car perhaps a 330 Ci), comfort, convenience items, gas mileage is OK (average 24mpg combo driving, 30 on the freeway) Trunk space is good for a convertible. Someone said "eats tires"?! my original ContiPro Contacts lasted 40K on the front and they are cheap to replace (I do NOT have the sports suspension). Also brake dust mentioned? All new cars with alloys and discs shed dust, just clean the wheels! my brakes are original and have 60% on the front.... I say look ahead and anticipate while driving.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the suspension components last longer than 40K!! It seems that BMW build the car to work 'like new' for the life of the warranty (40,000 miles). After that you need to be ready to find a GOOD independent BMW mechanic and if you want peak performance and plan to keep the vehicle running 'like new' expect some hefty bills. If that don't sit well there is always Lexus / Infiniti etc.

Run Forrest Run! (Do NOT buy this car!)
By okhunter

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All of the hype you hear about German engineering is pure unadulterated bugle oil. I'd take any car built in the orient, including a Hyundai, before I'd ever own another BMW. Parts literally fall off (outside mirrors, vent controls), the power top has malfunctioned on many occasions, this thing EATS tires, the water pump went out, the coolant reservoir cracked, brake life is a joke, brake dust is never-ending, the windows squeak, and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head. The dealership is the only one in town, and believe me they know it. Not once have I ever taken it in for service that I didn't have to leave it overnight! And all this for a sticker price over $50K!

Favorite Features

Looks, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Start over from the ground up, or just wave a white flag.

Love AND Reliability
By halohead

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had my 2005 325 convert for 4 years (bought it used), put 40k miles on it, and have treated it well. In return, it has been a joy to drive, beautiful to look at, and way more reliable than the Ford and Chevy I've owned--on a par with the stalwart Altima on which I put 100k miles. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. There are things I'd change (some of the interior fixtures could be better quality). But nothing beats hearing that growly engine and feeling the car drive like a part of myself.

Favorite Features

Engine; interior comfort; solid construction; reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior finishes are not highest quality; but not so that it ruins the vehicle!

2005 325 CiC Private Party Purchase
By neprop

2005 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used in San Diego with 37K miles. All package options. What a fun car to drive; looks great; rides great. Mileage is good for this type of vehicle and this is a relatively heavy vehicle; you can feel the soundness of the car and you can hear it as the doors close. Best part for me is that I prefer the E46 styling over the newer look and by buying used I paid circa $20K instead of $50K plus new. Large enough for a family of four for drive arounds, and perfect for two.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, and the overall tightness of everything - well thought through design and ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

With the top up it's tough to back up as you can't see via the rear corner sight lines of the car because that's where the structural component of the drop top is. Better radio reception. The short antenna seems to have a hard time pulling in signals. Slightly better/tougher feel to the buttons.