Used 2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Like new
By cartoff

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have just bought an 05 325I with automatic and manual override, 77,000 k, and it literally looks and drives as if I have just taken delivery of a new vehicle. The leatherette interior is immaculate with no signs of wear that you would have from leather. It drives like a dream and looks great. At the price I paid I feel like I won the jackpot

Automatic climate control, ease of adjusting the sound quality, and the power seat adjustments

None for now

E46 - The Good and the Bad
By mrmagoo157

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought a used '05 325i in mid '09 with 80k miles. There were a few minor things the car needed and I am a former mechanic, so I had checked the car over well enough to know it wasn't in terrible shape. The issues were minimal at first but then the list started and hasn't stopped. We have put 60k miles on this 9 year old car and have done the following; various plastic clips/parts all over the car, windshield washer pump, coolant hoses and expansion tank, oil filter housing gasket, front control arm bushings, belt tensioners and idlers, A/C evaporator core, transmission service, two window regulators, fuel pump & filter, etc. I could go on but I'm out of space. Plan on spending a lot.

Nice short trip road car, not so great for longer distances. The ride is stiff and so are the seats. Handles very well, drives like a dream but the cost of ownership is pretty high. Very reliable engine but don't neglect the cooling system. Overall, a decent car but not what I expected.

Where to start? Too much use of plastic in some critical places - coolant fittings and elbows, water pump pulley!, etc. The car sold for over $35K in late '04, one would expect some repairs but this has been excessive in my opinion. I've owned other German, Japanese, and American vehicles but I think this one may have been the costliest to keep going, and I am doing 95% of the work myself...

Horrible
By bobbypeterson

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 325i Automatic for a little over a year putting 14k miles on it (Im 17). I have had so many problems, I purchased the car for $10k with 116k miles on it. I have put over $5000 in repairs, every month it seemed to be a new problem. I still have yet to fix a leak in my power steering rack that will cost about $1700. Worst first car. Too much to take care of, sadly the carfax is clean on it too which makes it really strange. Take my advice and do not but this car. I feel I just got a problematic car. Shunned upon BMW now, I love how it runs just too many repairs. Getting rid of it hopefully soon.

I love the way it rides, fast car. Comfortable.

Not having everything under the sun break on it.

Great used car
By zoolander1

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this '05 in Jan/2012 therefore was a 7 yr old car with only 48k mi when I purchased it. It came with most goodies except for Navi or leather. It's my wife's car so we have put only 7k mi in a year. I love the weight distribution of the car. The dimensions are flawless and it trully drives like a new car. It was well taken care of by prior owners and it shows. MPG is ok, I get usually 23.5 combined. It gets way better once on the road, I can get about 27 under normal driving conditions. I was hesitant to get a used/out of warranty BMW as repairs could be costly but so far it was been pretty reliable. I do recommend this as a used car purchase.

Interior layout and materials. Not leather but leatherette seems pretty durable and shows minimal signs of aging. It's a pretty classic design. It aged gracefully and since it was always garaged, all rubber, trimmings and headlights show no sun damage making it appear fresh off the dealership. I love how nimble, firm it drives on the highway. Oil changes can be expensive as it takes about 8 qt of synthetic oil so be ready to spend about $100 per visit. But the way the engine was built, it can go 15k mi without an oil change. The onboard monitor will let you know when it's time.

It's a little bit underpowered. 184 hp for today's standards make the car seem a little heavy at times. The shiftable automatic tranny is a little slow, clumsy. I'm guessing it's the car's way to show its age. Not complaining though; it's an 8 yr old car. Cup holders! anyone who has this car can tell you about the design flaw in the center console where the second cup holder can only be accessed by lifting the arm rest.

Not a problem 60k to Now 98k
By npalafax

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I got tired of my Mazda6, I dont know why the other reviewers seemed to have such bad problems. I have only had to do normal maintenance ie brakes ect. The only thing I did have to replace was the front control arm bushings which is normal on these cars and can be done cheaply if you do it yourself vs go to a stealership. The car handles great and made me a lifer with BMW always puts a smile on my face and is extremely fun to drive. I will drive it till I cant drive it any more. My next car will with out a doubt be a BMW, it may be an older gen but still looks great and the people who have driven it ended up selling their cars for a BMW. Once your hooked your hooked!!!!!

Navigation, Love the Leatherette feels great very durable and didnt take an animal to make it. Handling, Power, Reliability if you take care of it.

Everything is an option, so make a list of what you want and shop around for the right fit. If buying used make sure you have service records! And get it inspected. I have nav, moon roof auto wipers and lights, but wish I had heated seats and Xenon lights. So do shop around for options in these cars!