2005 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
E46 - The Good and the Bad
By mrmagoo157 on 09/01/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought a used '05 325i in mid '09 with 80k miles. There were a few minor things the car needed and I am a former mechanic, so I had checked the car over well enough to know it wasn't in terrible shape. The issues were minimal at first but then the list started and hasn't stopped. We have put 60k miles on this 9 year old car and have done the following; various plastic clips/parts all over the car, windshield washer pump, coolant hoses and expansion tank, oil filter housing gasket, front control arm bushings, belt tensioners and idlers, A/C evaporator core, transmission service, two window regulators, fuel pump & filter, etc. I could go on but I'm out of space. Plan on spending a lot.

Horrible
By bobbypeterson on 03/21/13 05:16 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 325i Automatic for a little over a year putting 14k miles on it (Im 17). I have had so many problems, I purchased the car for $10k with 116k miles on it. I have put over $5000 in repairs, every month it seemed to be a new problem. I still have yet to fix a leak in my power steering rack that will cost about $1700. Worst first car. Too much to take care of, sadly the carfax is clean on it too which makes it really strange. Take my advice and do not but this car. I feel I just got a problematic car. Shunned upon BMW now, I love how it runs just too many repairs. Getting rid of it hopefully soon.

Great used car
By zoolander1 on 01/06/13 11:56 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this '05 in Jan/2012 therefore was a 7 yr old car with only 48k mi when I purchased it. It came with most goodies except for Navi or leather. It's my wife's car so we have put only 7k mi in a year. I love the weight distribution of the car. The dimensions are flawless and it trully drives like a new car. It was well taken care of by prior owners and it shows. MPG is ok, I get usually 23.5 combined. It gets way better once on the road, I can get about 27 under normal driving conditions. I was hesitant to get a used/out of warranty BMW as repairs could be costly but so far it was been pretty reliable. I do recommend this as a used car purchase.

Not a problem 60k to Now 98k
By npalafax on 12/05/12 22:59 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I got tired of my Mazda6, I dont know why the other reviewers seemed to have such bad problems. I have only had to do normal maintenance ie brakes ect. The only thing I did have to replace was the front control arm bushings which is normal on these cars and can be done cheaply if you do it yourself vs go to a stealership. The car handles great and made me a lifer with BMW always puts a smile on my face and is extremely fun to drive. I will drive it till I cant drive it any more. My next car will with out a doubt be a BMW, it may be an older gen but still looks great and the people who have driven it ended up selling their cars for a BMW. Once your hooked your hooked!!!!!

smell funny, BUT ITS NOT
By heatherenea93 on 11/22/11 15:48 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have 2005 325i i got it for my birthday this past year of june 2010. So anyways when we got it like 2 months after we got it the air went out. Well the guy at the dealership something happened and Someone else bought it out or something idk. But when that happened we lost our warrently. well we thought heck its a bmw what could possibly go wrong. Well like 2 months later air went out got it Fixed $1,200. Today Got home and it started smelling on the inside. Looked smoke under the hood oh no. WRONG Open the hood no smoke The rain was falling behind the motor and sizzling. But the smell was only coming from inside. The raining hitting the hood made made it steamy.. Please HELP?

Not Again
By Not Again on 06/12/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I traded in my 1998 honda accord coupe for a bmw 2005 325I. i am so disappointed, my car keeps shutting off while driving. I am amazed no one has slammed in to the back of me. Everyone tells me that the car won't start cause it sounds like it's starving for fuel, although there is plenty. I have had the fuel filters changed last year, again yesterday my car shut off while driving and had to be towed to my mechanic. I am becoming very concerned because i could be driving on the highway and all of a sudden it shuts off.

Maybe a Lemon
By Dia on 05/21/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 325i from a friend who had purchased it at auction a year earlier. I travel 50 miles one way to work daily, so the miles have been piling up. The car had 35K miles when I bought it. It now has 94K miles. Have spent close to $3,000 so far, including driving side window controller replacement, thermostat replacement, bush kit replacement, and new set of tires. Seems every time I get one thing fixed, something else shows up. Now, gotta have brake job and replace two worn hoses. Also, had accident (no fault), and now fighting with insurance co. because repairs not up to par. But still love to drive it! And at 94K miles, I guess the repairs are expected.

Boringly perfect
By rholbrook on 05/05/10 23:20 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this 05 325i sedan certified pre owned with 45k. Honestly I think they built the mid 90's 3 series more germanesque and robust, but still an awesome car. I would lose the wood colored trim on the interior, bad call. This car is boringly perfect. It drives so nice you just don't have to do any work, you are one with the road. Stays rock solid and smooth at high speeds, takes the turns effortlessly leaving everyone behind.

THIS CAR IS MY SOUL!!!!!!!
By WILLIAMS38 on 02/19/10 20:27 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I Have loved this car since day one since I bought it. The girls love it, my family love it, everybody loves it. I bought it salvage for $10,000 and so far so good. I get about 250 miles full tank. my car is v6 2.5 automatic with xenon lights.

No More BMW's
By Joe on 01/21/10 23:45 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Day 1: Check engine light came on. I had to take some time off my work and took it to the dealer. No loaner. I had to rent a car. They called me and they could not really found the problem after swapping coils and injectors between cylinders. After owning the car for 3 years (60k now), I can assure you that these are the most unreliable cars. The main problem, in my opinion, is the buggy engine management software that cannot function without problems for long. Basically it throws these errors and lights all the time in your face. Mine is 6 years old now and the dealer for the last two years could not figure out why I am getting a misfire on cylinder 3, 4, etc.. Avoid