Used 2005 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Like new
By cartoff

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have just bought an 05 325I with automatic and manual override, 77,000 k, and it literally looks and drives as if I have just taken delivery of a new vehicle. The leatherette interior is immaculate with no signs of wear that you would have from leather. It drives like a dream and looks great. At the price I paid I feel like I won the jackpot

Automatic climate control, ease of adjusting the sound quality, and the power seat adjustments

None for now

fun but expensive to drive
By agcanada

2005 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Germans know how to make a great driving car. The combination of ride and handling, performance and comfort has been elusive for North American and Asian car manufacturers alike - but the Germans have been doing it for years. I bought my 2005 330Ci M Sport used in 2013 with under 40K miles to replace my 2001 Porsche Boxster (also with 40K miles) because I needed a back seat for my kids in my summer daily driver. Having owned a BMW before, I knew I was getting into a high-maintenance car. In my experience, these cars cost more to run than modern Porsches. Be prepared to buy the parts and do the work yourself, or pay big labour bills.

Ride/handling trade-off, performance, classic BMW styling, assembly quality. Lots of fun to drive in the twisties.

The basic car is durable, but what BMW's definition of consumable is too broad, including the entire cooling system, suspension bushings, ball joints, etc. The company that makes a car drive like a BMW but reliable like a Honda or Toyota is going to make a killing!!

E46 - The Good and the Bad
By mrmagoo157

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought a used '05 325i in mid '09 with 80k miles. There were a few minor things the car needed and I am a former mechanic, so I had checked the car over well enough to know it wasn't in terrible shape. The issues were minimal at first but then the list started and hasn't stopped. We have put 60k miles on this 9 year old car and have done the following; various plastic clips/parts all over the car, windshield washer pump, coolant hoses and expansion tank, oil filter housing gasket, front control arm bushings, belt tensioners and idlers, A/C evaporator core, transmission service, two window regulators, fuel pump & filter, etc. I could go on but I'm out of space. Plan on spending a lot.

Nice short trip road car, not so great for longer distances. The ride is stiff and so are the seats. Handles very well, drives like a dream but the cost of ownership is pretty high. Very reliable engine but don't neglect the cooling system. Overall, a decent car but not what I expected.

Where to start? Too much use of plastic in some critical places - coolant fittings and elbows, water pump pulley!, etc. The car sold for over $35K in late '04, one would expect some repairs but this has been excessive in my opinion. I've owned other German, Japanese, and American vehicles but I think this one may have been the costliest to keep going, and I am doing 95% of the work myself...

If you want value, don't buy a BMW, lease it instead
By hmellem

2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005. It ran great the first 4 years without many problems. Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south. My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds. I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it. Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time. Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse. Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair. It never was.

Horrible
By bobbypeterson

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 325i Automatic for a little over a year putting 14k miles on it (Im 17). I have had so many problems, I purchased the car for $10k with 116k miles on it. I have put over $5000 in repairs, every month it seemed to be a new problem. I still have yet to fix a leak in my power steering rack that will cost about $1700. Worst first car. Too much to take care of, sadly the carfax is clean on it too which makes it really strange. Take my advice and do not but this car. I feel I just got a problematic car. Shunned upon BMW now, I love how it runs just too many repairs. Getting rid of it hopefully soon.

I love the way it rides, fast car. Comfortable.

Not having everything under the sun break on it.