I wanted to love this car.
By gdeutschlander on
2004 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
My first BMW was a 1987 325e and it ran perfect for 280,000 miles other than normal maintenance. At 280k the coil burned out, I put a new one in and 2 weeks later and the same thing happened. I tried one more time and the same problem so I sold it DOA. I bought a 2004 BMW 330Xi with 59,000 miles on it. My car now has 99,000 miles on it and here are all of the items I replaced. Complete CCV cold weather kit, Crankcase Vent Valve, Oil Separator Hose, Breather Hose. Valve cover gasket, valve cover, power steering pump, spark plugs and coil pack, rear springs, cv joints, DISA, multiple alignments because of pulling, brakes, and now it has mustard color under the oil cap.
Favorite Features
The design of the car. All wheel drive. Performance.
Suggested Improvements
Get rid of all the plastic engine parts. The DISA needs a new design. The CCV needs to be redesigned because of moisture build up. New springs because they used some defective steel and the springs all break. The CV Joints even though sealed lose the grease drying out the joints. Really a plastic valve cover that cracks for no reason? The gasket was cheap and by 60k miles needed a replacement because the gasket was so brittle and leaked everywhere. Power steering pump failure is common and needs to be improved. My faith in BMW is not the same as it was for my old BMW. BMW needs to build the 3 series like they did in the late 80s. They were amazing cars. Now they are plastic.