2004 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: I wanted to love this car.

2004 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

2004 BMW 3 Series

330xi Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual)

I wanted to love this car.
By gdeutschlander on

2004 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW was a 1987 325e and it ran perfect for 280,000 miles other than normal maintenance.
At 280k the coil burned out, I put a new one in and 2 weeks later and the same thing happened.
I tried one more time and the same problem so I sold it DOA.

I bought a 2004 BMW 330Xi with 59,000 miles on it.
My car now has 99,000 miles on it and here are all of the items I replaced.

Complete CCV cold weather kit, Crankcase Vent Valve, Oil Separator Hose, Breather Hose.
Valve cover gasket, valve cover, power steering pump, spark plugs and coil pack, rear springs, cv joints, DISA, multiple alignments because of pulling, brakes, and now it has mustard color under the oil cap.

Updated 4/1/2016.
I finally traded the car in to dump this lemon. It ended up having a bad head gasket. The car was never overheated and the antifreeze was rated for well below temperatures we have in Wisconsin. During the winter it would suck down the antifreeze. Not worth all the trouble and I will have a hard time considering a BMW in the future. I replaced it with a Honda Pilot and the Honda now has a 125k trouble free miles on it.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By mreider1
on 11/27/14 02:39 AM (PST)

my 04 325i has 120K and just underwent extensive repairs after I experienced a rough idle; Intake manifold runner valve, valve cover+gasket, oil separator hose, separator drain and breather hose VC to valve and hose to intake, crankcase vent valve, fuel filter (fuel pump replaced @ 100K). Rough idle is worse and I am told that the problem must be the control unit which is not available after market; part from BMW est $1500.00. A friend told me to look into a rebuilt (approx 4-500) and consider installing myself. Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem?