2004 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: Best wagon I've ever owned - H

2004 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

Best wagon I've ever owned - Hands down
By amishthunder on

2004 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my wagon used from a local dealer after selling my Subaru Outback. I was turned off initially by the stiff steering, but now I am hooked with the "driving experience" this car gives - including the seemingly stiff steering. Being in Colorado, I experience many different driving conditions ranging from hot 100 degree dry days down to subzero and totally ice covered roads. This wagon has exceeded my expectations, and outperforms any of my previous Subaru's AWD systems. This car inspires confidence in any driving condition, and the attention to detail and level of engineering is outstanding.

Handling in any condition, headlights, ride comfort, simplicity, overall build quality - To name a few. For those of you who like to wrench on your own cars, this vehicle is surprisingly easy to work on, and shockingly most parts are at your local AutoZone (example - I needed a new front CV axle...$90, and in stock at AutoZone!). Most new cars are not designed with a home mechanic in mind - This one is - Very few specialty tools are required I've found. As for the transmission, I never thought I'd like an auto, or ever use a "tiptronic" feature, but I like this one, and use tiptronic often...I normally only get manual transmissions.

Premium unleaded only is a pain, although this car gets consistently 28mpg on the hwy. The stereo lacks a lower-end "punch," but it's not that bad. The central door locking system is finicky, but once you know the quirks it's OK.