Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, wish it had better mpg
By Gregular

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 325i for 4 months now and so far I love the car. The only thing I am disappointed with so far is the fuel economy. I drive about 40 miles a day. Of that about 60% is highway and I get a average of 21-23 MPG. I tried changing driving habit and maintaining tire pressure and all I get is 24 mpg tops.

Fun to drive factor. Headlights and wipers are automated and the moonroof is a plus. It's a fun sporty sedan.

If I knew the gas mileage of this car I would have gone with the 330i.

In a Class All Its Own!
By 1 Happy Boy

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car! Period!! Is it the fastest? No. Is it the most attractive? No. Is it inexpensive? No. Is it the most luxurious? No. That's a lot of nos, yes? Ah, but wait! Is the 3 Series the most overall well-balanced, interactive, inutuitive, and fun car to drive? Resoundingly, yes! I've owned a lot of cars over the years; an Acura TL, Audi A4, BMW Z4, Honda Accords, Ford Mustang, Toyota Camry, Lexus SC400, and Mini Cooper, and they all do at least one thing very well, maybe even best in class! But overall, the sum of their parts only equal their total. Remarkably, with the 3 Series, its total exceeds the sum of its parts. But you won't find it on paper. You have to drive it to know it.

Build quality, fit and finish, and the fact that it is simply such an enjoyable car to drive. In the end, I most like the fact that I feel more in control (thus safer) when I'm driving this car. Peace of mind AND fun. What a great combination!

Thinking... ah, better cup holders!

A Change
By KIM

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

From having a truck or SUV for every car that I have owned, I have to say this is fun to drive. My last vehicle was a Tahoe I needed a more fuel economical vehicle. I researched and test drove several cars and would have to say this is the best one. It could use some more interior room and definitely a useful second cup holder. Still not sure what all the buttons do. Beware of pulling into parking spots that have a curb, you will scrape. Leather seats seems to get a lot hotter than my other leather seats. My brakes seem to leave black residue on them (no I am not hard on the brakes).

Fun to drive, decent gas mileage.

Second front cup holder. Cup holders in the back seat. Fix the black residue on the tires. (cheap brake pads). Could use more speed. Better stereo.

4 years later, still in love with it
By jazzmin

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just had my 2004 325i detailed, and I feel just like the day I drove it off the lot - it is still that much fun to drive. The best surprise I've had with this car is the highway gas mileage. According to the trip computer, I get between 33-34 (sometimes a little more) mpg on the freeway, and that's driving at 70-75 mph. Other than a short in a headlight socket, I haven't had a single problem with this car in the 53K miles I've driven it. Most fun and, again, surprisingly, most reliable car I've ever had, including 3 Hondas and two Toyotas.

You just can't beat the handling. And I like small cars, but so many are unsubstantial-feeling tin cans. Fit and finish are still perfect after 4 years.

Ok, maybe they fixed this in later model years, but the controls for the automatic climate control system are WAY too complex, unintuitive, and even dangerous until you get used to them. And there are times the trunk has been too small for me. Small price to pay.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Omaha Dave

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned Porsche, Volvo, Audi, Saab, BMW, Mercedes, VW & am used to superb handling, but this BMW is incredible! I drove it home 500 miles immediately after buying and it was a blast!. Before I bought I did my research and drove Infiniti G35x, MB 320 4matic, Subaru Legacy GT, Volvo S60R and while the others may have more hp and maybe even be a bit faster, none compared to the overall driving experience of the 330xi! There is a lot to be said about the differences in handling with AWD cars built from RWD platforms vs FWD platforms. It may be as smooth and tight as my 82 Porsche 911sc. 27.5 mpg coming home was a huge bonus!

Handling, responsiveness, Xenons, HK stereo, style, tiptronic, fuel mileage, ride quality.

Include remote start in cold weather pack. How about more than 1 electrical plug?

• SUV