Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Most Helpful|
In a Class All Its Own!
By 1 Happy Boy

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car! Period!! Is it the fastest? No. Is it the most attractive? No. Is it inexpensive? No. Is it the most luxurious? No. That's a lot of nos, yes? Ah, but wait! Is the 3 Series the most overall well-balanced, interactive, inutuitive, and fun car to drive? Resoundingly, yes! I've owned a lot of cars over the years; an Acura TL, Audi A4, BMW Z4, Honda Accords, Ford Mustang, Toyota Camry, Lexus SC400, and Mini Cooper, and they all do at least one thing very well, maybe even best in class! But overall, the sum of their parts only equal their total. Remarkably, with the 3 Series, its total exceeds the sum of its parts. But you won't find it on paper. You have to drive it to know it.

Favorite Features

Build quality, fit and finish, and the fact that it is simply such an enjoyable car to drive. In the end, I most like the fact that I feel more in control (thus safer) when I'm driving this car. Peace of mind AND fun. What a great combination!

Suggested Improvements

Thinking... ah, better cup holders!

best car I've ever owned
By david fulginiti

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

bought my 330i new, has performance pak,most options. never has let me down. drove it thru a flood, snow, ice and 90 plus temps,always make me smile and gets me home. I also own a 2008 M3 and I enjoy this car(330i) more as a daily drive.

Favorite Features

seats

Suggested Improvements

would love limited slip differential

So far great car. 85k miles
By solarwind63

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I stoped in a local BMW dealer and they sold me on a 325xi it is the most comfortable car I looked at. The sport seats give alot of comfort and are big. For 11k less 1500 for my old car and 200.00 OTD a month I think I did pretty good, for an all wheel drive sports sedan. My first mpg was 29 mostly hwy city. 100 miles a day and see 25 to 28 mpg. This is a car I feel good in and got lots of compliments. 120 mph is like doing 75. I think this car will do 35 mpg all hwy. This car is far ahead of any new honda or toyota. So far I have 85k and will post back at 100 or 125k and will see how well it holds up. Hope I can get 5years of low cost driving. So far love the car. This is a real car tryIt

Favorite Features

Looks, seats, a-c, handeling, ride, mpg, used car price. engine in line 6. Pulls and grips the ground, safe feeling, size and big sport seats with extened leg supports, and good adjustments. Sporty ride, tight turns. quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, am radio,

I wanted to love this car.
By gdeutschlander

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW was a 1987 325e and it ran perfect for 280,000 miles other than normal maintenance. At 280k the coil burned out, I put a new one in and 2 weeks later and the same thing happened. I tried one more time and the same problem so I sold it DOA. I bought a 2004 BMW 330Xi with 59,000 miles on it. My car now has 99,000 miles on it and here are all of the items I replaced. Complete CCV cold weather kit, Crankcase Vent Valve, Oil Separator Hose, Breather Hose. Valve cover gasket, valve cover, power steering pump, spark plugs and coil pack, rear springs, cv joints, DISA, multiple alignments because of pulling, brakes, and now it has mustard color under the oil cap.

Favorite Features

The design of the car. All wheel drive. Performance.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of all the plastic engine parts. The DISA needs a new design. The CCV needs to be redesigned because of moisture build up. New springs because they used some defective steel and the springs all break. The CV Joints even though sealed lose the grease drying out the joints. Really a plastic valve cover that cracks for no reason? The gasket was cheap and by 60k miles needed a replacement because the gasket was so brittle and leaked everywhere. Power steering pump failure is common and needs to be improved. My faith in BMW is not the same as it was for my old BMW. BMW needs to build the 3 series like they did in the late 80s. They were amazing cars. Now they are plastic.

Great car, wish it had better mpg
By Gregular

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 325i for 4 months now and so far I love the car. The only thing I am disappointed with so far is the fuel economy. I drive about 40 miles a day. Of that about 60% is highway and I get a average of 21-23 MPG. I tried changing driving habit and maintaining tire pressure and all I get is 24 mpg tops.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive factor. Headlights and wipers are automated and the moonroof is a plus. It's a fun sporty sedan.

Suggested Improvements

If I knew the gas mileage of this car I would have gone with the 330i.