Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun to Drive But Not Reliable
By Enver

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got my BMW 3.30 Ci in 04 February. The performance of the car is amazing. I had some minor problems tho. The car passenger door window failed at the first month. Then the handle on the driver seat that is used to move the driver seat to front has failed. The door seals fail on both doors due to hot weather at Reno. I believe the car should have been designed for worse temperature conditions. The sunroof failure is almost very BMW's problem. The engine was running rough at first but fixed by the help of software upgrade. The car is really fast and very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Sharp looking, excellent performance, amazing handling.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

Follow-up Review 1 Year Later
By TechJunkie

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The driving experience dramatically improved after I replaced the stock Continental tires with Pirelli PZero Nero. The cold start issues I had were resolved with a software update. The flickering trunk light was resolved by replacing the locking mechanism. The felt next to the weather stripping on both doors were replaced as the original glue did not hold. The moon roof's sliding shade was replaced as the plastic clips broke off. I'm currently getting 27 MPG on the HWY with conservative driving speeds. I have put over 43k miles. I took it on a cross country 6.2k mile road trip, and received compliments at gas stations and in Canada.

Favorite Features

Smooth, sleek, beautiful and sexy exterior and interior! Acceleration and handling. Auto-dimming rear view mirror. Seat & mirror memory. Radio/ Cruise control on the steering column. Right side mirror adjusts automatically for parallel parking. Full Maintenance!

Suggested Improvements

Add ID3 Tag support for iPod, 6 CD in-dash changer (like Honda). Design console for CD sleeves or cases. Remove the R/T button from the steering column. Remove the red nipple from the rear view mirror. Add rear cup holders. Reduce rattles. Have option for built-in AC vents in seats.

Love at first site!
By branco327

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Gorgeous car with the M sports package that comes with the nicest 18 inch wheels out there. Gorgeous interior too and the handling/performance is fantastic. Nicest looking BMW ever made and indeed based on people's reaction to this car it is a head turner. I'm not quite comfortable yet with the attention and stares this vehicle gets.

Favorite Features

Sexy yet classy and timeless exterior lines and 'eyes' with beautiful interior and awsome performance/handling.

Suggested Improvements

Replace cup holders with more practical and bigger storage area in center console.

Love the car, hate the problems
By jlsocks

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've wanted a BMW coupe for years and was excited to finally get one. I truly love the styling of the car and the way it drives. In less than 2 years of ownership, I've had to bring in the car in for unscheduled maintenance/repairs 6 times. These issues included, replacing the door locking mechanism so I could get out of the car (problem has resurfaced), new transmission, dead battery, emissions issues, coolant system leak, and A/C recall. If the problems with the car had been relatively minor as can be expected in some German cars, I could understand, but I don't think I'll ever purchase another BMW again.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, quality of interior materials and fit/finish

Suggested Improvements

Alarm system as standard equipment, in dash six-disc cd changer

Still the Official Car of Valhalla
By ChiefBlueBimmer

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I posted a review back in May, and I loved the car. It's now December, and my opinion hasn't changed in the least. Driver's seat has become more comfortable as it became broken in. You'll get better mileage if you inflate front tire to 32, rear to 38 like the manual says (dealership delivered with 32/32), with no loss of comfort. No reliability issues. Nada. Nichts. Car took 1/2 quart of oil at 4000 miles, and I did off-cycle oil change at 7500. Advice: Buy snow tires w/rims, or leave in the garage during winter.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, looks. Amazingly inexpensive replacement parts (dump truck nicked windshield, cost a mere $430 to replace with BMW factory part).

Suggested Improvements

Brake dust means rims require frequent cleaning; cupholders suck golf balls thru garden hose. Easy to hit BMW access button on steering wheel, when all you want to do is lower stereo volume.