2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2004 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Sort Reviews by

It's only a car till you drive it
By MikeInNNJ

2004 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Got it with 63k (74k now) and it's been excellent. The handling, quality, drivability is impressive. There really is a difference from other cars. Very solid feeling. Very roomy as I'm 6'-2", excellent legroom, good headroom. Not the most powerful but has it's moments (generally adequate unless you race). 24-25 mpg highway in the 80s.

Favorite Features

Firm seats (good for back), best steering & brakes I've experienced. Reliable so far. Good stereo, reasonably quiet, good solidity, effective A/C. Firm ride but not rattle for teeth rough.

Suggested Improvements

more power, some interior trim pieces are cheap, windows click (will need regulators soon), sunroof screen is flimsy. I don't drive it in slippery conditions so I can't comment on snow driving. HID lighting would be nice (mine doesn't have it). More expensive to maintain than a typical car.

Overall, "The Ultimate Driving Exp."
By FireMedic

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased our '04 325i in Oct. 2008. It was a blast to drive until we sold it today. Alpine white/Montana sand leather color combo was perfect and received tons of compliments! In the 21k miles we drove it, the water pump, lower air intake boot, mirror motor, oil separator and secondary air valve all had to be replaced due to failure. Replaced due to "wear and tear" were f & r brakes, belts, window regulators, etc. Other than a few small repairs, we loved this car and honestly hated to see it go. Pick up a certified pre-owned for the best results, and if possible, one with the extended maintenance plan as these are both fully transferable! Rotate your tires every 3k!

Favorite Features

Handling/braking, Xenon headlights, Sport Pkg. seats (amazing bolster/thigh supports)

Suggested Improvements

Engineering of parts...confusing climate/cruise controls.

A driver's dream
By killerisme

2004 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new, my ZHP as shown in many example pics for 04 330i sedan (dark gray) was a great intro to the UDM experience. Razor sharp and excellent power and handling, with great ride and economy to boot. Only one mechanical issue due to fuel quality. Good room for what is really a small car. Always looked forward to driving it.

Favorite Features

All the M features of the ZHP package really sharpened and added to the driving experience. Almost perfect for a sporty daily driver. Only rarely did I wish for more power from the engine, which was free-revving and buttery smooth. Short throw shifter was also appreciated.

Suggested Improvements

Interior features kind of slim for the price, and maintenance costs are high (OEM tires ran $1000 and I was probably in 90th percentile getting 40k miles out of them) once you have to start paying for them.

Silver bullet
By Anicca

2004 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had the 330ci for four problem free years. I love the car - it's got everything; great performance, great looks, great economy and great reliability. Who could ask for anything more? I've been a BMW driver for 30 years, and this is the best (tho' I still wouldn't give up my 93 318is). For anyone considering buying a used bimmer, I'd give the 330ci a strong recommendation, without reservations

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

I can't figure out how the change the outside temperature readout from centigrade to fahrenheit.

Love this car
By ggard86

2004 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for one year and a half and still smile every time I get into it. I've taken it on two long road trips 1000+ miles and avg 32 miles on the highway; at home I get about 23. I've had no problems with it and love the once a year oil change. It's a comfortable car and is fast off the line. The exterior and interior style is something BMW should never have left, and in my eyes it has classic lines and a refined German style. The fold down seats and ski bag make a small car easier to swallow. Simply put I love this car and don't mind the car payment.

Favorite Features

Overall style and feel, as well as the abundance of features. I never knew how much automatic wipers would change my life. Love the heated windshield fluid and headlight cleaners in the winter. There are so many little things in a BMW others just don't match; for example the flashlight built in.

Suggested Improvements

My dislikes have been fixed in newer models they are: sound system is a little weak, it lacks an aux input, window trim comes unglued. In the winter the frame-less doors tend to be difficult to close. That's it.

best car I've ever owned
By david fulginiti

2004 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

bought my 330i new, has performance pak,most options. never has let me down. drove it thru a flood, snow, ice and 90 plus temps,always make me smile and gets me home. I also own a 2008 M3 and I enjoy this car(330i) more as a daily drive.

Favorite Features

seats

Suggested Improvements

would love limited slip differential

Unreal control in snow and ice
By AaronWhite

2004 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2004 325xi for three years now and have enjoyed driving it every minute. I grew up with Mercedes and am used to German engineering, build quality, etc. However, I think the 3 series, particularly the XI (AWD) variants, are very tough to beat. This was confirmed over the weekend when I drove from DC to North Carolina and spent three days driving around in snow and ice in NC. I cannot explain how well the car handles in bad weather. It is truly unreal. When trying to slip and slide, the car takes over, cuts the gas, shifts the traction around to the various wheels and keeps the car in control. No complaints in 60k miles of driving it.

Favorite Features

Handling, engine sound, absolutely perfect and smooth automatic shifting, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic center console looks terrible and does not age well (e.g., coating peels and scratches easily). Stock stereo is terrible!! Lots of speakers but many of them crackle and pop.

I bought a CPO
By HW

2004 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought CPO and have had it for over 3 years. I got the mystic blue with light gray interior. What a nice combo. Have not had one single problem with it. I was concerned about the cloth top but it has been surprisingly easy to maintain. I also burn regular gas to save money and it runs just fine. I think this model is more attractive than the new models.

Favorite Features

The brakes will stop this car on a dime. Just awesome. Also, the trunk, with the top down, will hold three sets of golf clubs (you have to take out the woods and lay them on top).

Suggested Improvements

The one thing I do not like is the cost of dealer service. Its outrageous.

Love this car but reliability not great
By J. Brand

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

There are 3 things I love about this car: 1) Handling and performance, it's a dream to drive on freeways and windy roads. 2) Interior is simple and elegant - I prefer BMW interior of this model period vs the newer BMW design which is unnecessarily complex. 3) Seats are firm and very comfortable for long rides. I sat in the back seat of a friend's BMW 3-series of same year and the surprisingly comfortable ride in the back if you want a smaller car. It would be tight squeeze though for a guy over 6 ft tall but more room than Mercedes C-class in same price range.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, simple interior design, firm/comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Surprising lack of durability of certain items between 40-60K miles, both back door trim/molding fell off, A/C was fixed, cup holder trim peeling, tail light assembly corroded. Hassle factor & repair cost too high without warranty.

I'm Sold
By cho

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine CPO; premium and sports package; black on black with 39,000 miles in 2007. I've always owned Japanese and my last car was a 1997 Integra GSR. But I needed a 4-door for the ease of carrying more than one passenger, so I bought this Bimmer even though I had trepidation about its reliability as I found this particular year and model to be the best looking 4-door sport sedan out there (even now in 2009 IMO). Two years into the ownership and I have not had any major issue. I recently lost my job; I don't miss my job but I missed not making the daily commute in my 325i. That's how much I love this car, how about that!

Favorite Features

The exterior line especially the front (and it is true, the car is low to the ground and I've had to fix my front bumper cover twice because it got torn by the cement block in the parking spot as I backed out). The quietness inside even when you are going fast. The performance. The HK stereo.

Suggested Improvements

They may have corrected this in the later models already but wish there was a single mechanism inside the car to control all four windows.