Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Best wagon I've ever owned - Hands down
By amishthunder

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my wagon used from a local dealer after selling my Subaru Outback. I was turned off initially by the stiff steering, but now I am hooked with the "driving experience" this car gives - including the seemingly stiff steering. Being in Colorado, I experience many different driving conditions ranging from hot 100 degree dry days down to subzero and totally ice covered roads. This wagon has exceeded my expectations, and outperforms any of my previous Subaru's AWD systems. This car inspires confidence in any driving condition, and the attention to detail and level of engineering is outstanding.

Favorite Features

Handling in any condition, headlights, ride comfort, simplicity, overall build quality - To name a few. For those of you who like to wrench on your own cars, this vehicle is surprisingly easy to work on, and shockingly most parts are at your local AutoZone (example - I needed a new front CV axle...$90, and in stock at AutoZone!). Most new cars are not designed with a home mechanic in mind - This one is - Very few specialty tools are required I've found. As for the transmission, I never thought I'd like an auto, or ever use a "tiptronic" feature, but I like this one, and use tiptronic often...I normally only get manual transmissions.

Suggested Improvements

Premium unleaded only is a pain, although this car gets consistently 28mpg on the hwy. The stereo lacks a lower-end "punch," but it's not that bad. The central door locking system is finicky, but once you know the quirks it's OK.

BMW = Practical
By Kenny

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wife and I had our first kid and dumped a minivan for the BMW wagon. She loves everything about this car. The AWD is good in the snow and 2 Britax car seats fit comfortably in the back with the armrest down. With enough space to pack all the kiddie stuff in the rear, my wife loves the ride, stability, safety, and overall ride of the wagon. Who's kidding... I love driving it too.

Favorite Features

Performance... enough said.

Suggested Improvements

Gas is poor for in-town (~ 20 mpg). Could use a power outlet in the rear seat for DVD connection and more cupholders. I guess if you want 13 cupholders and a DVD player drive a minivan!

A Great All-Rounder
By Helios

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Our first BMW. It's difficult to summarize why we love this car so much - let's just say it does everything well. All the components work together perfectly. Athletic and refined at the same time. Driving it can be relaxed or exciting - you choose. Options can add up quickly, but do yourself a favor and spring for heated seats and park distance control. The stock halogen headlights are the best I've ever used - no need for Xenons in my opinion. The 2.5 liter engine's fine above 2500 rpm and absolutely loves to run at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

The suspension never fails to amaze me. While we don't have the sport package, the stock setup w/ 16-inch wheels still provides beautifully responsive handling without beating us up. BMW did a remarkable job. We also like the Steptronic with three settings - automatic's smooth and manual's fun.

Suggested Improvements

We have yet to drive in snow, but it sure feels fine in the rain. Absolute control. Build quality is rock solid through nine months; the radio quit once but the dealer replaced the module and that was that. If you really enjoy driving, the 3-series is worth the money.

Fun-to-drive and practical
By Harry in Los Angeles

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife & I bought our blue 325iT certified pre-owned and have been extremely happy with the car. (And at CPO pricing, almost a bargain.) The car is as fun to drive as the 325 sedan and even sticks better in the curves due to its slight rearward weight bias and lowered suspension. At freeway speeds, we get 32 mpg! (City fuel economy, tho, is a poor 18 mpg.) Rear seat area is adequate but not spacious but we find the rear cargo area just fine (if you need to carry a 70-inch TV, maybe you need a bigger wagon). The Premium Package is superb - very luxurious and power-everything - get it. Fit and finish are also superb and our reliability has been pretty rock solid. A fabulous car.

Favorite Features

Handling dynamics; willing and peppy engine; lux interior with premium package; very practical and useful wagon capacity; surprisingly good fuel economy; IMHO best-looking sport wagon out there.

Suggested Improvements

Yes, the cupholders do stink; if you buy new, the MSRP is too steep (buy CPO!); man oh man would I love the 3-liter engine from the 330 dropped in this car; the interior cubbyholes and storage bins are stingy.

LOVE MY BIMMER
By SHIRLEY BROWN

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

EXCELLENT PERFORMING VEHICLE THAT GETS BETTER MILEAGE THE HARDER YOU DRIVE IT. THE STEPTRONIC TRANSMISSION IS THE KEY TO FUEL EFFICIENCY ON CITY OR MOUNTAIN DRIVING. LOVE THIS CAR. MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS AFTER DRIVING FOR 5 HOURS THE SEATS IN THE 325I REALLY START HURTING THE BACK. NO LUMBAR SUPPORT. OVERALL RATING IS HIGH.

Favorite Features

I LOVE THE OPTION TO SWITCH TO MANUAL FOR THE ULTIMATE IN DRIVING PERFORMANCE. THE 325I SERIES HUGS THE ROAD AND PERFORMS LIKE NOTHING I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. A REAL PLEASURE TO OWN AND DRIVE.

Suggested Improvements

THE SEATS COULD BE IMPROVED UPON FOR DRIVER AND PASSENGER. NOT ENOUGH LUMBAR SUPPORT FOR LONG TRIPS.