Used 2004 BMW 3 Series 330xi Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Second best car I have ever owned.
By Mitch Young

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is simply an amazing car. I don't really have a complaint about the car. For starters, the 330xi is a great car for road trips, it is extremely comfortable. I put a lot of miles on the road due to the nature of my work. The Harmon Kardon stereo system delivers a tremendously crisp sound , far better than the Bose systems that were offered in the Audi's of the same year. The All-Wheel drive proves excellent traction in the winter. I have plowed through 8 inches of un-plowed snow, no problem. The BMW 330xi matched with the right tires makes for a remarkably quiet ride. On a less important note in regards to sound, the exhaust sound is quite entertaining to listen to. The transmission shifts effortlessly and for the sport enthusiasts you can get the AWD car sideways on an on ramp if you would like to. The engine sounds like it has more to give than it actually does, in turn if i had a complaint it would be the acceleration, although it isn't bad, you would expect a little more out of the top-of-the-line 3 series.

What I love most about the car isn't the specifications or even the unsurpassed build quality, but the way it makes you feel. It makes you drive with a smile, not many cars have the ability to do that. The question yet to be answered is personal reliability, I hesitate to answer this because it varies from car to car and how you take care of the car, doing proper on time maintenance and so on. With that in mind, I take exceptional care of my cars, and I have only put $900 into the car so far, it was the power steering rack, which through research has been found to be a relatively common fix on these machines.

In comparison to other cars I have owned this proves to be far superior, other than an Audi S4 of the same year. However, it is a different caliber of car, so it does not really count in the realm of the 330xi.

To finish my review, I do in fact highly recommend this car. If you ever have the opportunity to own one, do so. Your increase in daily happiness surpasses the worry of paying for premium fuel.

I wanted to love this car.
By gdeutschlander

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW was a 1987 325e and it ran perfect for 280,000 miles other than normal maintenance.
At 280k the coil burned out, I put a new one in and 2 weeks later and the same thing happened.
I tried one more time and the same problem so I sold it DOA.

I bought a 2004 BMW 330Xi with 59,000 miles on it.
My car now has 99,000 miles on it and here are all of the items I replaced.

Complete CCV cold weather kit, Crankcase Vent Valve, Oil Separator Hose, Breather Hose.
Valve cover gasket, valve cover, power steering pump, spark plugs and coil pack, rear springs, cv joints, DISA, multiple alignments because of pulling, brakes, and now it has mustard color under the oil cap.

Updated 4/1/2016.
I finally traded the car in to dump this lemon. It ended up having a bad head gasket. The car was never overheated and the antifreeze was rated for well below temperatures we have in Wisconsin. During the winter it would suck down the antifreeze. Not worth all the trouble and I will have a hard time considering a BMW in the future. I replaced it with a Honda Pilot and the Honda now has a 125k trouble free miles on it.

Great combo of Fun/Practical
By Ernie

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used w/ 18K miles almost 2 years ago. My driving is both suburban and highway, mostly conservative but I like to open it up once in a while. I drive about 20k per year. As title says, this car is a great combo of features when you have to use it to bring a kid to soccer practice, etc and like to "play" a bit. Not as comfortable on a long trip as our Volvo but it's livable. We have extended service plan up to 100k and it is worth it as with almost all Euro cars everything is very expensive and BMW takes full advantage.

Solid construction, we get the feeling that this car for its small size can take a hit. Entering a 90 degree off-ramp and maintaining 70 mph.

Tires, tires, tires. Standard low profile tires damage easily (I've "lost" three in 40k miles) also they wear out at less than 30k miles and are also worthless in the snow even w/ 4wd, so plan on "special" snow tires if you live in a winter environment and depend on the car to commute.

A Change
By KIM

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

From having a truck or SUV for every car that I have owned, I have to say this is fun to drive. My last vehicle was a Tahoe I needed a more fuel economical vehicle. I researched and test drove several cars and would have to say this is the best one. It could use some more interior room and definitely a useful second cup holder. Still not sure what all the buttons do. Beware of pulling into parking spots that have a curb, you will scrape. Leather seats seems to get a lot hotter than my other leather seats. My brakes seem to leave black residue on them (no I am not hard on the brakes).

Fun to drive, decent gas mileage.

Second front cup holder. Cup holders in the back seat. Fix the black residue on the tires. (cheap brake pads). Could use more speed. Better stereo.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Omaha Dave

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned Porsche, Volvo, Audi, Saab, BMW, Mercedes, VW & am used to superb handling, but this BMW is incredible! I drove it home 500 miles immediately after buying and it was a blast!. Before I bought I did my research and drove Infiniti G35x, MB 320 4matic, Subaru Legacy GT, Volvo S60R and while the others may have more hp and maybe even be a bit faster, none compared to the overall driving experience of the 330xi! There is a lot to be said about the differences in handling with AWD cars built from RWD platforms vs FWD platforms. It may be as smooth and tight as my 82 Porsche 911sc. 27.5 mpg coming home was a huge bonus!

Handling, responsiveness, Xenons, HK stereo, style, tiptronic, fuel mileage, ride quality.

Include remote start in cold weather pack. How about more than 1 electrical plug?