Used 2004 BMW 3 Series 330xi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I wanted to love this car.
By gdeutschlander

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW was a 1987 325e and it ran perfect for 280,000 miles other than normal maintenance. At 280k the coil burned out, I put a new one in and 2 weeks later and the same thing happened. I tried one more time and the same problem so I sold it DOA. I bought a 2004 BMW 330Xi with 59,000 miles on it. My car now has 99,000 miles on it and here are all of the items I replaced. Complete CCV cold weather kit, Crankcase Vent Valve, Oil Separator Hose, Breather Hose. Valve cover gasket, valve cover, power steering pump, spark plugs and coil pack, rear springs, cv joints, DISA, multiple alignments because of pulling, brakes, and now it has mustard color under the oil cap.

The design of the car. All wheel drive. Performance.

Get rid of all the plastic engine parts. The DISA needs a new design. The CCV needs to be redesigned because of moisture build up. New springs because they used some defective steel and the springs all break. The CV Joints even though sealed lose the grease drying out the joints. Really a plastic valve cover that cracks for no reason? The gasket was cheap and by 60k miles needed a replacement because the gasket was so brittle and leaked everywhere. Power steering pump failure is common and needs to be improved. My faith in BMW is not the same as it was for my old BMW. BMW needs to build the 3 series like they did in the late 80s. They were amazing cars. Now they are plastic.

Great combo of Fun/Practical
By Ernie

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used w/ 18K miles almost 2 years ago. My driving is both suburban and highway, mostly conservative but I like to open it up once in a while. I drive about 20k per year. As title says, this car is a great combo of features when you have to use it to bring a kid to soccer practice, etc and like to "play" a bit. Not as comfortable on a long trip as our Volvo but it's livable. We have extended service plan up to 100k and it is worth it as with almost all Euro cars everything is very expensive and BMW takes full advantage.

Solid construction, we get the feeling that this car for its small size can take a hit. Entering a 90 degree off-ramp and maintaining 70 mph.

Tires, tires, tires. Standard low profile tires damage easily (I've "lost" three in 40k miles) also they wear out at less than 30k miles and are also worthless in the snow even w/ 4wd, so plan on "special" snow tires if you live in a winter environment and depend on the car to commute.

A Change
By KIM

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

From having a truck or SUV for every car that I have owned, I have to say this is fun to drive. My last vehicle was a Tahoe I needed a more fuel economical vehicle. I researched and test drove several cars and would have to say this is the best one. It could use some more interior room and definitely a useful second cup holder. Still not sure what all the buttons do. Beware of pulling into parking spots that have a curb, you will scrape. Leather seats seems to get a lot hotter than my other leather seats. My brakes seem to leave black residue on them (no I am not hard on the brakes).

Fun to drive, decent gas mileage.

Second front cup holder. Cup holders in the back seat. Fix the black residue on the tires. (cheap brake pads). Could use more speed. Better stereo.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Omaha Dave

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned Porsche, Volvo, Audi, Saab, BMW, Mercedes, VW & am used to superb handling, but this BMW is incredible! I drove it home 500 miles immediately after buying and it was a blast!. Before I bought I did my research and drove Infiniti G35x, MB 320 4matic, Subaru Legacy GT, Volvo S60R and while the others may have more hp and maybe even be a bit faster, none compared to the overall driving experience of the 330xi! There is a lot to be said about the differences in handling with AWD cars built from RWD platforms vs FWD platforms. It may be as smooth and tight as my 82 Porsche 911sc. 27.5 mpg coming home was a huge bonus!

Handling, responsiveness, Xenons, HK stereo, style, tiptronic, fuel mileage, ride quality.

Include remote start in cold weather pack. How about more than 1 electrical plug?

330xi ROCKS!
By PDXLager

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Upgraded from a 2002 Saab 9-3 which had plenty of turbo-charged power, but it couldn't handle it (torque steer, spinning tires, etc.) The BMW 330xi is amazing. It's solid, well- balanced, handles corners like they're not even there, is quick off the line.... it's great. The only dings are for storage space, fuel economy, and (because it's lacking the winter package) not having fold-down rear seats. Other than that: perfect.

Rain-sensing wipers, HDC, upgraded HK speakers, run-flat 17" tires

It should have fold-down 60/40 rear seats standard.