Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

RWD, 6spd and a backseat
By Justin S.

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2nd e46. I love them. Great steering feel and handling. Aside from a few weak links these cars are the total package. The perfect blend of luxury and performance. If you're not capable of working on it yourself you will need a good mechanic you trust to not charge you double just because of a name. A lot of the parts don't cost any more than other vehicles. Just keep it maintained. Mileage isn't great but that all depends on the weight of your right foot. I can manage 28 but usually average 20-21mpg. The car is very driver oriented. Not a lot of frills for this day and age but not lacking either. The proportions feel just right. The rear seats are cramped but this is a compact car, not a full size sedan. Tires go fast with the sport package because of the inability to rotate due to staggered sizes. The grip is worth it. Large capable brakes hold up well under heavy use. The engine is asleep before 3k but after that it's hard not to go to the limiter. Sport seats are great, good amount of bolstering and lumbar support. Overall, great looking cars that if maintained well will last forever. Great driver's car though this isn't a miata, it's still a blast to drive.

Best blend of sport and luxury
By tom2020

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 330Ci as a European Delivery vehicle in 2004. Great deal from BMW where they give you a discount and two months of driving in Europe. All you pay is gas. 90K miles later and I still love this car. It is fast, luxurious and comfortable. The only upgrades were winter snow wheels and tires and a high end aftermarket sound system. I have driven many vehicles since 2004 and none have this perfect blend of sport and luxury. On top of that I have zero reliability issues. Changed the fluids, filters, brakes, tires and wiper blades...that's it.

Handling and sense of connection to the road that only a 3 series BMW delivers with such luxury. I love the sound of the engine and excellent drive train. Since I have done my own maintenance, I can also say that BMW engineers have made servicing this car as simpler than a Toyota.

My number one performance gap was the speakers and amplifier that came with the car. In 2004 the audio engineering was not equal to the rest of the engineering in the car. So I upgraded with Zapco digitally tunable amp and speakers. Sounds fantastic now:)

Amazed!
By peacepunk

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with only 56K miles on the odo in Feb of 2011.
I've since added a good 24K and this car still runs and feels like new!
I've bought new vehicles before, including a new 1999 Ford Windstar and a 2006 Mazda 5 and I have to tell you the BMW runs way smoother than either of those vehicles did brand new!
This car has the most comfortable seats I've ever encoutered and has the smoothese ride I've ever experienced.
Sure there are some downsides like the expensive oil changes due to requiring synthetic oil and gassing up costs a bit more as it requires 91 or higher octane.
I was never a BMW fan but owning one has put me on top of the fan list!

Handling is amazing, comfort is top notch, gets good mileage... what more can I say?

My only complaint is the sport tires can cause hydroplaning. Even with new tires on a wet surface it can occur, but then is to expected with low profile tires that are more meant for handling.

Awesome Car!
By 330joy

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my car from its first owner in Sept. 2010, and the only regret that I have had is that I did not buy it sooner. I'm a first time BMW owner, and I now know what they mean by the Ultimate Driving Machine. With the 6-speed, the car is more than quick enough to maneuver through traffic. For some terrible reason, this car becomes even more fun as the speeds climb. At 100+ MPH it still feels like it's on rails. Mechanically this car seems immaculate, I love the perfect mechanical sound the gear box maxes as you change a gear at low speeds. Both exterior and interior build quality is fantastic; and I love the driving position/feel despite being 6'2" and 225 lbs.

The inline 6, handling, transmission, and build quality.

None (maybe just the ability to make cars in front of you disappear!)

Purchased for my Son's 16th Birthday
By glen61

2004 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've been driving BMW 5 series for years ; purchased new. When my son was turning 16, I wanted a safe and reliable and let's face it, a hot car...you're only 16 once :-).
I located a great priced 2004 325ci, red, with 40K miles in 2009; I made the deal and brought it home. I had an option to purchase the same car albeit blue with the CPO warranty but they wanted 2K more and I said no...big mistake.
My whole family really likes this car...sporty, peppy, looks great, etc.
But...I purchased the car for 13K and put 7K into it. I belive the other two previous owners just didn't keep up with maintenance or it was listed as a lemon. Once I got beyond all the repairs, awesome; we'll keep the car

Looks, ride, sporty, split 40/60 rear seat, sunroof, auto back slide out windows, etc.

Don't really like not having access to the second cup holder without raising the arm rest but that's trivial.