Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 458 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Still going strong with 240K miles
By C B

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great car to own and drive. Yes, there will be repairs after 100k miles, but I got past 200K before having to replace the clutch. Most other repairs have been to structural parts - engine is just unbelievably superb. I drive in snow and mud, with pets, groceries, gear, etc. Gas mileage has been a solid combined 25 mpg for the life of the car. If you can find a used one, you could probably get a decade out of it and love every minute of driving it.

Love my bimmer
By CJF

2004 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car with 24,900 miles April 2014 from 80 year old woman. The car now has 57,000 mile. I like the car very much. NO major issues, just maintenance issues here and there. Unfortunately, repairs can be pricey. Overall , I would recommend this car. I am very happy with it. I do expect to keep it a longgggg time.
I will keep up the maintenance and it should go and go .I do believe it is the "ultimate driving machine" and I would not go to back to a "basic" car again. I really enjoy driving it...

I'll keep it till the end
By mike farmer

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I'm the 2nd owner. Bought it when it had 13000. Has 123000 now. Very reliable, interior looks as good as the day I bought it!

Fun First Sport Coupe
By Jeff Mortberg

2004 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car about a year ago. It is the first and only BMW I've ever owned. It is my favorite car of all that I've owned. With the top down on a sunny day, zinging through the twists and turns of an undulating country road, this car is a ton of fun. My first thought on a beautiful day when I am free from obligations is "...Go for a drive..."! The 2.5 liter in-line six is smooth and responsive. With just 184 hp and similar number torque, it won't win a drag race with a Mustang, but it is surprisingly peppy. I'd estimate 0-60 comes in around 7 seconds, which is comparable to my 2011 Fusion Sport AWD (which has 263 hp). But the miles per gallon is much better. I'm seeing around 28-30 highway, and 21-23 city. This car also just looks great. It cannot be considered practical, seeing the owners' manual strongly suggests using premium gas, and it only carries four people (and their handbags) with just a modicum of back-seat comfort. But who ever buys a convertible with practicality as their first consideration? This is one fun, reliable, and pretty car. I can't recommend it highly enough to the right buyer. This one has definitely made me a BMW fan!

Second best car I have ever owned.
By Mitch Young

2004 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is simply an amazing car. I don't really have a complaint about the car. For starters, the 330xi is a great car for road trips, it is extremely comfortable. I put a lot of miles on the road due to the nature of my work. The Harmon Kardon stereo system delivers a tremendously crisp sound , far better than the Bose systems that were offered in the Audi's of the same year. The All-Wheel drive proves excellent traction in the winter. I have plowed through 8 inches of un-plowed snow, no problem. The BMW 330xi matched with the right tires makes for a remarkably quiet ride. On a less important note in regards to sound, the exhaust sound is quite entertaining to listen to. The transmission shifts effortlessly and for the sport enthusiasts you can get the AWD car sideways on an on ramp if you would like to. The engine sounds like it has more to give than it actually does, in turn if i had a complaint it would be the acceleration, although it isn't bad, you would expect a little more out of the top-of-the-line 3 series.

What I love most about the car isn't the specifications or even the unsurpassed build quality, but the way it makes you feel. It makes you drive with a smile, not many cars have the ability to do that. The question yet to be answered is personal reliability, I hesitate to answer this because it varies from car to car and how you take care of the car, doing proper on time maintenance and so on. With that in mind, I take exceptional care of my cars, and I have only put $900 into the car so far, it was the power steering rack, which through research has been found to be a relatively common fix on these machines.

In comparison to other cars I have owned this proves to be far superior, other than an Audi S4 of the same year. However, it is a different caliber of car, so it does not really count in the realm of the 330xi.

To finish my review, I do in fact highly recommend this car. If you ever have the opportunity to own one, do so. Your increase in daily happiness surpasses the worry of paying for premium fuel.