Great to drive but poor reliability
By a_tazmanian on
2003 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)
This was my first and probably last BMW due to very poor reliability. It has consumed at least a quart of oil between changes since I got got the car- mechanics cannot figure out why (compression is good). AM radio reception is very poor. Side view mirrors started to corrode and turn brown after just a few years. The diver side window got un-hinged after 6 years. AC stopped working after 7 years. Rear light ground line is undersized and burns out (now a recall). Key re-chargeable battery dies and key has to be replaced for $500. Windshield wiper fluid container leaked and had to be replaced after 8 years. Plus many other more expected wear/tear and maintenance problems.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive. Good FM radio. Comfortable seats.
Suggested Improvements
Improve reliability. Most of the problems I encountered are just bad engineering or poor assembly, not related to cost savings. The worst is the undersized ground line. It would have cost nothing more to design the trace on the circuit board wider. Never had anywhere near this many problems with any of my previous Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus' and Acuras.