Great Car but some odd owners
By shadeogray on
2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
This car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The handling and feel of this car is truly impressive. I saw a post where it said there was limited cargo space. That's a total lie. For a car this size the trunk is quite large. Cup holder placement is a bit odd but that's about my only gripe. I find it comical that people buy a high performance foreign car that is known to be expensive to repair, if you did any amount of home work then you would know this. Then they complain when it's expensive to repair, it's like hitting your head with a hammer then getting mad and surprised that your head hurts, you silly people you LOL. Many things I see being reported smack of a shady repair service. Hardly the cars fault. At least half of what you spend at a dealer is for labor costs. Many of these things can easily be fixed by YOU for much less if you ever care to get out a repair manual and a set of tools. O2 sensors, window issues are all child's play. You know if your engine light is on you can go to almost any Auto zone or other such service and as long as your engine light is on they will read the problem for you for free? Why? Because they want to sell you the part to fix it. Granted this does not apply to all of your issues but it does cover a fair amount of you. Be smart, do your home work and pick up a friggen book and a wrench every now and then or get a KIA. I'll be the guy in the BMW zipping past you and laughing. :) Catch you on the flip side!
Favorite Features
Handling is great, the aesthetics are very pleasing. Over all a joy to drive.
Suggested Improvements
Cup holder placement is rather odd. Finding any kind of interior mods is frustrating to say the least. Extended warranty places try to skin you alive but not as badly as BMW them selves.
By ali29
on 11/10/11 20:35 PM (PST)

shadeogray you are awesome I've had MB ans BMW like you said get the friggen book and a wrench my friends are scaring me not to buy a SAAB or bimmer because of break down and high expense - thanks for the confidence- Ali

By motherofonyx
on 02/28/12 20:30 PM (PST)

You are too funny! Yes a joy too drive! I have religiously taken to dealership, why? because I thought that was the best way too take care of it and I could afford it! Now retired on fixed income the basics are the pitts! having said that so far the dealership doesn;t seem to know how too fix them! Most recently new alternator? screw comes off? why not screwed tight! along with a service which is never under 1300, recently found a fabulous mechanic that can fix it/no more dealership!or fancy so called bmr mechanics that never put their head under the car!! hope I can afford too keep it! it is paid for/also purchased a 2004x3 it is paid for also, these are not cars to be owned while unemployed, sick or on fixed income!! will have to sell, makes me sick!

By 1sikaudi
on 06/04/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

You are completely right. If people expect to buy a BMW or and Audi and pay Honda or Toyota maintenance service calls they are not being real. Moreover, like you specify in your post. Pick up and wrench, screwdriver, etc and save some serious dough.

By c_macleod
on 05/28/14 06:50 AM (PDT)

VERY well put my friend, if you want a car you can buy and forget about, go by a honda. Simplicity lasts forever, innovations and new tech will always provide more headaches in that regard, but with this said these cars aren't even that complex. I should know, mine is a e46 325xi. I have rebuilt the front end suspension, replaced hoses and pumps and reservoirs, changes lines and fixed rot on the thing. I'm a poor college student trying to scrape through grad school paying as I go and because of this, my car has NEVER been to a mechanic. I do all my own maintenance and even with that AWD drive train in the way of EVERYTHING lol, I have been able to keep it going 100%. With a level head on your shoulders these e46 BMWS are a joy to own and work on, and very well made