Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years
By Moore

2003 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years! When I fist bought this Lemon I loved it. But after 9 months and 6 times in the BMW dealership repairing this turkey I am through with BMW! Mt first Bimmer was a 318ti that I drove almost 300 thousand miles with the same timing belt. This thing has had no less than 3 alternators in the past 2 months at $500.00 a pop, cannot fix the radio $600.00, idleing pully $700.00 and its still not fixed. Do not purchase one of these cars without a warranty!!!!

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy it!

Love/Hate relationship
By Jeff

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 1st BMW, I don't know if I'll buy another. This car is very fun to drive. However, I am a big guy and it is a very small, uncomfortable car. The redesign in 2006+ is a better compromise of room and performance. I spend a lot of time in a car so this matters (30K miles/yr), but it is fun on days off and short trips when I don't spend hours in the car. The worst feature is reliability. I bought it less than 2yrs ago @ 21K miles, I have 74K now. I've replaced all the window regulators (and I'm about to again), an electrical harness, a throttle body boot, and misc other items. The boot wasn't even under my CPO warranty. In less than 2yrs this car has had 20+days in the shop

Favorite Features

Fun factor, stick shift, sunroof, one touch UP for all windows (not just one touch down), acceleration, braking.

Suggested Improvements

I shouldn't have an outside light burn out every month. My radio should work properly. The throttle body boot should be under warranty (it isn't a maintenance item). Reliability should at least be up to American car standards. At this level of car leather seats, not vinyl, should be standard.

Love my 330Ci
By Dennis Soapes

2003 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car now over 5 years and still very fun to drive. Reliability has been spotty. Warranty: sunroof, ignition coils, left window regulator. I've paid to have the passenger side electronic door lock replaced ($700) and the CD player. It started skipping. Factory replacement would have been over $700. I put in a Pioneer Premium with Sirius, HD radio, iPod and MP3 player for about $1000. But the car is great and I love it. The lumbar adjustment has stopped working; I'll live with it.

Favorite Features

Handling, performance, design

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

I'll never drive anything but a BMW!
By Mike

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July of 2007 and I have enjoyed this car more than any other car I have ever owned. It handles and holds the road beautifully. It feels like it has more power than it actually does and looks beautiful. For the mileage and how hard I drive this car it holds up extremely well. I have had a few minor issues with it but most of it has been covered under the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have only spent $202.00 out of pocket to fix the car. I bought it with 39,000 miles and it has 43,000 on it now. I recommend only buying a BMW from a BMW dealer because of the great warranty. Buy it from another dealer and spend more money! I will never own anything but a BMW!

Favorite Features

Beautiful styling, sporty unshakable handling, rear wheel drive and great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Keep the window and door controls in the center and not on the doors! More power!

It just goes
By John Pelkey

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW new, no hassle, car and price matched internet specs exactly. 130,000 miles later and it is like the first day. It had an electrical problem and a headlight out that BMW fixed, and I've gone though two sets of tires. Oh, and two extra quarts of oil. That's it. Original brakes, original everything else. I get 30 MPG with the heater and AC off, and 28 with either of them on, those are combined miles.

Favorite Features

Heated seats in winter. Defrost that takes 10-20 seconds to clear everything. AC that takes 10 seconds to feel the cold. AWD in rain or snow going up a hill. AWD the rest of the time, too. Great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse is like starting out in second gear. Have to nurse it.