Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Transmission
By Original Owner

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new in November 2003. Sport and premium package with xenon lights. I took exceptionally good care of the car, always garaged and hardly ever drove it hard.Ignition coil needed replacement at around 10,000 miles and again within 50,000 miles. Front right xenon light went out within 50,000 miles and headlight assembly was replaced. Brakes and discs needed replacement every 25,000 miles. Control arm bushings needed replacement prior to 100,000 miles. Radio replaced at 100,000 miles. Radio dial broke off and radio not working again. Driver side window motor replaced. Now has 125,000 miles and Transmission has issues. Great was car great prior to 100,000 miles.

Fun while it lasts
By R. Parker

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was completely in love with this car when I bought it. Although I bought it used, it was my first BMW but most likely will now be my last. The problems I have had on this car are unbelievable. The warning light that the right tail light is out has been on and off since I bought it. I have had to replace window regulators, the sunroof, injectors, spark plugs, bushings and a host of other things. The straw that broke the camel's back came a few days ago - an engine/exhaust problem that's going to cost $3500 to fix. In the last year I've shelled out $9K on this vehicle. I loved driving this car it was so much fun. But now I am looking at something more reliable - like a Hyundai.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage I got was awesome! 25 mpg city, 35 mpg hwy. This car has some great pick up with the 6 cylinder engine and zips through traffic like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

Do the words "quality control" mean anything to anybody? Given the number of complaints I've read here and at other websites BMW needs to do something to make a better car. I wish I had had the experience of those who say they've never had problems. This car has been problematic from the start.

Will not own another BMW
By outdoorzdude

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Never own a BMW out of warranty. I sold my 2003 325i I purchased brand new and maintain impeccably for 150,000 highway miles, kept it 100k miles too long. It’s like they used to say about boats, “the happiest day, is the day you bought it and the day you sell it.” Though that is unfair to boats, as I have a 20 year old boat with a two-stoke Yamaha that has not given me one-tenth the problems this car has and judging from the online forums, I am not alone. Alternators, radiators, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, fuel pumps, window regulators, final stage resistors, seatbelt tensioners, the list goes on and on. Avoid these cars unless you like to work on high tech autos for fun.

Favorite Features

Fuel Efficiency, Sporty driveability.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap materials that will knowingly wear out in order to increase dealer service profits. Used better engineered materials/parts to imporve reliability.

Good dream went bad
By paulbasden

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 330i in August 2012 for $8,500. It drove well for 27 months. Then in November 2014 it blew a head gasket at 122K miles. Needs a new engine. I will not but a BMW again.

Favorite Features

Get up and go when you hit the accelerator. Ride on the highway. Zipping around town, in and out of lanes. Premium sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Ride was too rough for me - especially in town.

Debriefing
By Rob Miller

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my first BMW, a titanium 325i sedan with sport package, manual trans, leather, and xenon headlights, in spring 2003. During the years I had it, it was as close to perfect as a car can be. Nevertheless, a month ago, I traded it on a 2008 328i, with a sport package and manual transmission. The only reasons I traded were that the 2003 was getting old and soon wouldn't be worth much in a trade. While I had it, It was an extraordinarily good car: fun to drive, very reliable, practically trouble-free, and cheap to own because of the 48,000/5 year warranty. If the car hadn't been so good, I would have never bought another. So far, the 328i has been great--another winner!

Favorite Features

I liked most everything about this car! First, it was great looking. Very quiet/serene, even at high speeds. Decent but not great power. Excellent handling, even at high speeds. Reliable and inexpensive to operate. Xenon lights were superior. Controls easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Premium gas suggestions is unnecessary. The front bucket seats were a bit small and uncomfortable. Basically, any criticisms would be nit-picking.