Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Amazing car!
By VB

2003 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've been driving sporty Japanese cars all my life through my 20's and 30's. Now that I am approaching my 40's (whew!) and have a wife, a couple of kids, etc. I decided to buy a car of my dreams, a BMW 3-series convertible. So, when the time was right I went ahead and purchased a beautiful E46 325Ci Convertible with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, and 5- speed. Iíve had it for over a year now and obsession doesnít stop (just ask my wife). It does everything very well. It is a pure joy to drive and I still wake up in the morning with the thought that I am going to drive it and leave work looking forward to hugging corners on the way home. It is an amazing car!

Favorite Features

It is very reliable and doesnít cost much to maintain if you donít go to the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

My front sport seats have bolsters too far apart. It wouldíve been nice to have an option to inflate the bolsters (like in M3).The rear seats are not that comfortable. The bottom part of the seat is on the very steep incline. It looks great and is functional, but not comfortable. All very minor.

Great Buy
By joshcaul

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, comfortable and great fuel consumption. I think BMW hit the mark with the 325, my issues are really quite minor. I like the dependability, power, handling and overall style of the car. My soft points are minor, however in a car of this class, these issues should have been addressed prior to production. Cup holder location. I know this sounds petty, however drive it around for a few weeks and you will agree. In order to utilize both cup holders you have to sacrifice your arm rest. Brake dust! I am yet to see a car with this much brake dust. If you are like me and enjoy your car shiny, good luck! Otherwise I love the car and am very happy with the purchase!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, Brake dust, a little more room inside the cabin.

2003 BMW 330Ci
By Tom Waite

2003 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this 2003 330Ci since new. Used the BMW Euro Delivery program. Car has been very reliable. Issues? Sunroof, ignition coils replaced under warranty. Otherwise nothing, but I am a fairly conservative driver, and don't drive it hard other than the 600 miles on the autobahn at 90-120 mph when car was new. I routinely obtain 27-30 mpg (5 speed manual, 80% freeway driving with a light foot). Great car and I likely will buy another soon.

Favorite Features

Handling, safety, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could have a little more thigh support. I'm long legged. Not a big cabin, but I think the car is the ideal size.

OVERRATED
By beemer - not

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '03 and always garage kept. Just turned 36K miles with all easy driving. My feeling is that you pay more for a better quality car with the expectation it will hold up better - WRONG!! Had to replace front/back pads & rotors (mostly highway miles) ignition wires, window trim parts, coil spring (never hit a pothole)+++. I really feel the BMW is overrated. The ride is hard especially in rear seat and people complain it's hard to get out of the seat because of the lack of leg room in back and door pillar on side. Also the resale value drops like a bomb after a few short years. All things considered, I would not buy another BMW.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

More storage space/better designed controls. Do something about the awful brake dust on front wheels, different break pad materials would help.

BMW 03 Failure of Equipment
By Carolyn

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Tail light harness melted and not working. New transmission after 1000 miles. 4-window regulators replaced. Sunroof mechanism replaced. Radio dial does not work. Front tires ride noisy. No one can fit comfortably in the back seat. BMW will not help you with any parts that fail even though they are inferior products that should not have been used in this car. Parts are cheap and are meant to break to keep their parts and service dept. busy. My husband and I have owned 20 vehicle together and we have put more parts on this car then in all of our car combined. Its sad and never buy BMW, buy a Lexus!! or something more reliable . BMW does not care about fixing their problems.

Favorite Features

Style, gas mileage, sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality parts and listen to customers.