2003 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Problem since day 1
By elizabeth on 05/26/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I will just list the problems: 1. "service engine soon light" came on while driving home the day I purchased this car with only 20 miles on it. 2. starter replaced. 3. sunroof malfunction. 4. transmission thumping when coming to a stop - dealer reprogrammed computer. 5. Driver door handle broken. 6. Remote on key stopped working (couldn't unlock door). 7. Interior moulding around doors falling down on driver and passenger side. 8. Engine/ignition coil caused engine light to come on - recalled item. 9. Currently in shop for multiple other mechanical problems. The most frustrating part is that most of these problems each required several trips to the dealer to be fixed correctly. Very disappointed!!

A true driver's automobile!
By Dave on 05/09/07 16:15 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has a ride and suspension like no other. I have driven A4s and C-Classes, but neither can hang with this car. It may not be the hot rod like the G35, but would smoke it on the track when it came to overall performance. Not to mention the I-6 is the most refined engine you can buy. If you've never driven a BMW, you haven't driven.

An amazing car! Very satisfied.
By JoelH1025 on 09/29/06 13:12 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been amazing. It performs very well. It's got plenty of power, but certainly not an overwhelming amount. It's enough so that you have no trouble merging, but it's easy to drive. I get about 26-27 mpg overall. It has also been incredibly reliable. My car has 110,000 miles on it, and it has only broken down once. It was a minor problem, too, and it was fixed before the sun went down that day. This car is very comfortable to drive long distances. It's very easy to park, and very maneuverable.

Disappointed
By JN on 08/13/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second 325 I've owned. The first one (2001) had frequent finicky problems besides the major problem of the transmission going out at 55,000 mi. I got the 03 as I figured it was unusual. However after owning this 03 for 2 yrs I will never own another BMW and I can't wait to get out from under this one. When you know the shop manager by first name you know you have a problem. I've never had to have a car in the shop as much as this one. Many many little problems. Nothing major yet but it's only a matter of time. Engine wise and driveability it's a great car, but something is always causing it to be in the shop. I also own a Lexus and NEVER have a problem. Bye Bye BMW

The Greatest Car I've owned
By Pedro on 07/06/06 08:23 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I can rely on it, I can take it to its max, I can be a family man but I can also be a sports car driver.

Best car I've ever had
By jek1601 on 07/03/06 13:48 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After driving Honda Accords for many years, I finally decided to step it up and get a faster car. But was wary of rear wheel drive so went with the sedan AWD due to Chicago's snow. I have a 5 speed, which was ordered from Germany since the dealership didn't have one in stock. I've had the car three years now and don't regret my decision, even with gas prices so high. I get 25-27 MPG and with 38,000, I've had no problems with the car, other than occasional alignments. The car is fast, exp. with the 5 speed and cruises at 70-80 effortlessly. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves to drive.

Red rocket
By Robert on 06/27/06 11:25 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our car from the factory and had the opportunity to legally drive it at Autobahn speeds. At 120 mph, this car is stable and quiet. Since we've been back in the States, we don't drive that fast, but this car is comfortable- even when in tight turns at speed - and even with the "small" engine has the power to comfortably pass at highway speeds. The fit and finish are just great. The transmission shifts smoothly and the car drives well in all types of weather and road conditions. This is a great car.

Great Value as Used Car
By GV3 on 05/18/06 13:06 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For the last 20 years, I've bought used (2-3 yr old) luxury cars with great success. My "new" '03 BMW continues that string. This particular car is a one-owner lease turn-in, BMW certified, fully loaded, 39,000 miles. For $23 thou, it's a great value: fun to drive, looks better than the new 3-series, somebody else has worked out all the kinks, and I got the 100m BMW certified warranty. Life is too short to drive a car with no soul! This car just brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it.

Great little SUV substitute
By cwpnewpaltz on 04/26/06 13:48 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After three SUVs that had trouble getting to 21 mpg on the highway, I finally concluded I needed hauling capacity, not testosterone, and this little BMW wagon. It is a joy to own and drive. My seventh BMW since 1980, and the first non-7 series, I find it has enough creature comforts to be near luxury class,and the reliability is 100%. Free scheduled maintenance and roadside assistance (not that I've needed this service) are a nice plus. Couldn't possibly like a car more.

Shouldn't have these problems for $37k
By Rick Lewis on 04/15/06 21:20 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned this car for about 2 1/2 years now. The styling is sporty and refined. The ride is very comfortable. The size is just right for my wife and I. (No kids.) It just flat out looks good! However, the build quality is somewhat suspect. We have had 3 of the 4 door trim panels break away from their fasteners 4 times now. The latest trip to the dealership they replaced all the wood panel with new ones, feeling the others could have been defective. Who knows but we should not have had to make 4 trips to get it done. Also, the transmission went out on us at 31,000 miles. They said it was a computer malfunction.