2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
OVERRATED
By beemer - not on 11/23/09 16:46 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '03 and always garage kept. Just turned 36K miles with all easy driving. My feeling is that you pay more for a better quality car with the expectation it will hold up better - WRONG!! Had to replace front/back pads & rotors (mostly highway miles) ignition wires, window trim parts, coil spring (never hit a pothole)+++. I really feel the BMW is overrated. The ride is hard especially in rear seat and people complain it's hard to get out of the seat because of the lack of leg room in back and door pillar on side. Also the resale value drops like a bomb after a few short years. All things considered, I would not buy another BMW.

BMW 03 Failure of Equipment
By Carolyn on 09/07/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Tail light harness melted and not working. New transmission after 1000 miles. 4-window regulators replaced. Sunroof mechanism replaced. Radio dial does not work. Front tires ride noisy. No one can fit comfortably in the back seat. BMW will not help you with any parts that fail even though they are inferior products that should not have been used in this car. Parts are cheap and are meant to break to keep their parts and service dept. busy. My husband and I have owned 20 vehicle together and we have put more parts on this car then in all of our car combined. Its sad and never buy BMW, buy a Lexus!! or something more reliable . BMW does not care about fixing their problems.

330i 6sp, fuel economy, safety, fun
By DCNW on 06/01/09 19:41 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

2003 performance package, 6sp. This is a great car overall, not without problems, but unique in the market. An honest, real and easy 31mpg on the highway with the 6sp, 65-75 mph. Safe and comfortable, and REAR WHEEL DRIVE, impossible to find anymore in a car that handles well and gets good MPG. You will pay more for maintenance, but, you will also get more back when you go to sell the car, they are not everywhere as rental cars. The interior design is simple, a masterpiece, the seats are great, the material quality is top notch. This cars has -astounding- brakes, nimble and firm handling, excellent power, it's a real sleeper and feels like it has much more power than what is published.

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years
By Moore on 02/22/09 09:40 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years! When I fist bought this Lemon I loved it. But after 9 months and 6 times in the BMW dealership repairing this turkey I am through with BMW! Mt first Bimmer was a 318ti that I drove almost 300 thousand miles with the same timing belt. This thing has had no less than 3 alternators in the past 2 months at $500.00 a pop, cannot fix the radio $600.00, idleing pully $700.00 and its still not fixed. Do not purchase one of these cars without a warranty!!!!

Love/Hate relationship
By Jeff on 01/17/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 1st BMW, I don't know if I'll buy another. This car is very fun to drive. However, I am a big guy and it is a very small, uncomfortable car. The redesign in 2006+ is a better compromise of room and performance. I spend a lot of time in a car so this matters (30K miles/yr), but it is fun on days off and short trips when I don't spend hours in the car. The worst feature is reliability. I bought it less than 2yrs ago @ 21K miles, I have 74K now. I've replaced all the window regulators (and I'm about to again), an electrical harness, a throttle body boot, and misc other items. The boot wasn't even under my CPO warranty. In less than 2yrs this car has had 20+days in the shop

I'll never drive anything but a BMW!
By Mike on 08/31/08 00:21 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July of 2007 and I have enjoyed this car more than any other car I have ever owned. It handles and holds the road beautifully. It feels like it has more power than it actually does and looks beautiful. For the mileage and how hard I drive this car it holds up extremely well. I have had a few minor issues with it but most of it has been covered under the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have only spent $202.00 out of pocket to fix the car. I bought it with 39,000 miles and it has 43,000 on it now. I recommend only buying a BMW from a BMW dealer because of the great warranty. Buy it from another dealer and spend more money! I will never own anything but a BMW!

It just goes
By John Pelkey on 08/10/08 18:19 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW new, no hassle, car and price matched internet specs exactly. 130,000 miles later and it is like the first day. It had an electrical problem and a headlight out that BMW fixed, and I've gone though two sets of tires. Oh, and two extra quarts of oil. That's it. Original brakes, original everything else. I get 30 MPG with the heater and AC off, and 28 with either of them on, those are combined miles.

Debriefing
By Rob Miller on 08/02/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my first BMW, a titanium 325i sedan with sport package, manual trans, leather, and xenon headlights, in spring 2003. During the years I had it, it was as close to perfect as a car can be. Nevertheless, a month ago, I traded it on a 2008 328i, with a sport package and manual transmission. The only reasons I traded were that the 2003 was getting old and soon wouldn't be worth much in a trade. While I had it, It was an extraordinarily good car: fun to drive, very reliable, practically trouble-free, and cheap to own because of the 48,000/5 year warranty. If the car hadn't been so good, I would have never bought another. So far, the 328i has been great--another winner!

Fun while it lasts
By R. Parker on 07/17/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was completely in love with this car when I bought it. Although I bought it used, it was my first BMW but most likely will now be my last. The problems I have had on this car are unbelievable. The warning light that the right tail light is out has been on and off since I bought it. I have had to replace window regulators, the sunroof, injectors, spark plugs, bushings and a host of other things. The straw that broke the camel's back came a few days ago - an engine/exhaust problem that's going to cost $3500 to fix. In the last year I've shelled out $9K on this vehicle. I loved driving this car it was so much fun. But now I am looking at something more reliable - like a Hyundai.

I know what they're missing!!!
By Iowa Architect on 05/21/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a used '91 318i in New Mexico and fell in love with it. The faster you went the more that car would hunker down and handle the road. However, that car had zero traction in the winter. I moved to Iowa and needed a better all weather car. In comes the 325xi. Great traction, great handling, great ride, great looks,etc. Sometimes I find myself smiling just because I am behind the wheel. No mechanical or engine issues,however, I did have to change the front tie rods. I found a very reliable certified BMW mechanic and now I feel I am not being fleeced everytime I have service. I do take warrantee work to the dealership. I don't think other car drivers have any idea of what they're missing!