2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Great Value as Used Car
By GV3 on 05/18/06 13:06 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For the last 20 years, I've bought used (2-3 yr old) luxury cars with great success. My "new" '03 BMW continues that string. This particular car is a one-owner lease turn-in, BMW certified, fully loaded, 39,000 miles. For $23 thou, it's a great value: fun to drive, looks better than the new 3-series, somebody else has worked out all the kinks, and I got the 100m BMW certified warranty. Life is too short to drive a car with no soul! This car just brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it.

Shouldn't have these problems for $37k
By Rick Lewis on 04/15/06 21:20 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned this car for about 2 1/2 years now. The styling is sporty and refined. The ride is very comfortable. The size is just right for my wife and I. (No kids.) It just flat out looks good! However, the build quality is somewhat suspect. We have had 3 of the 4 door trim panels break away from their fasteners 4 times now. The latest trip to the dealership they replaced all the wood panel with new ones, feeling the others could have been defective. Who knows but we should not have had to make 4 trips to get it done. Also, the transmission went out on us at 31,000 miles. They said it was a computer malfunction.

Awesome Machine
By David on 02/23/06 08:13 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this car for three months now and it is the best car I have ever owned. Before test driving it I always wondered if it cost more for the status and badge. I was very wrong. This drives like no other car I have driven.

A very unreliable experience
By kling994 on 09/24/05 22:32 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent perfomance, fun to drive, very solid grip on road, very smooth, however in 2,1/2 years from purchase date, I had to stop at the dealer 11 times for repairs, without counting oil changes and brakes. I have had mostly electrical problems, signal lights burning out just months after getting vehicle. 2 engine coils, at different times. water getting into the driver side floor when strong rain, even if car was parked. door rubber gaskets had to be replaced on 2 doors, getting worn out (can you believe that..) transmission thump noise when stopping (took 2 years to fix), window switch broke off. etc.... a very disappointing experience for such a expensive and such a good brand name.

Croy's BMW 325i
By Croy on 06/29/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing better on the road for performance. I know it's piddly, but I hate the seatbelt. Not very user friendly.

Too many issues
By LA on 04/07/05 21:36 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Transmission needed to be replaced at 17,000 miles (apparently an issue BMW is trying to hide on the 2003), mildew smell from AC (BMW actually told me its cars aren't made for humid conditions since it's not humid in Germany), and had to be towed in to dealership 3 times in first year for a variety of what BMW called "little" issues.

Not Making the Cut
By T. Davy on 01/20/05 15:01 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had several problems with my BMW, fuel filter and pump went bad, ignition coils burning out, window regulators failing, moonroof not sliding properly, I could name a few other minor problems, but why?! I'm currently in the market for a new car, maybe a G35 or C320, definitely not another BMW!

Keep your Asian import
By Wish I had my Honda on 01/04/05 17:45 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was so excited to get my new 325. Love the handling, comfort, smooth transmission........until the problems started. With less than 10,000 miles I had to replace a fuel injector, and one of the passenger side power mirror stopped operating. Now with 23,000 miles I just had to replace an oxygen sensor. Oh and I almost forgot to mention the manufacturer recall (6,000 miles) for another computer related problem. I will definitely sell this car before the warranty runs out and would advise against purchasing a BMW. It's back to relability of Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus for me!!

Not again
By JNWFL on 12/13/04 09:01 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd 3 series I've owned. I thought that maybe the 1st one (2000 323) was just a bad one, but coincidence or not, my 2003 325i confirms to me that I will never own another BMW. The sooner I can get rid of this one the better. Something (small or large) always seems to be going on. I've never had a these problems with any other car I've owned, especially Japanese autos.

Excellent Ride/Handling Tradeoff
By mbojilov on 12/10/04 17:37 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I believe this to be an excellent vehicle overall. Handling and steering are first rate, and the ride is more comfortable than many more expensive sedans (Mercedes E320). I wish the steering wheel could tilt more vertically for greater comfort and control. I would also change the steering wheel to the 2004/05 version - it looks the same but it is much grippier. While I like some engine noise to add to the sporting character, at times it feels overwhelming (it almost seems that my car is defective relative to other BMW's; everyone says BMW's are quiet but mine isn't all that quiet). Finally, wind noise can also be quite high at highway speeds. All in all, a great experience though.