Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 446 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Overall, not many problems
By snwbrd26

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 64k miles on it, and brought it in once for a 'check-up' around 80k and recently around 120k. I don't know if I've been lucky, but I have had hardly any problems with this car. There was a coolant leak the first time around, and this time was rear springs, valve cover oil leak, front breaks and rotors, with a full inspection (with my car being over 120k miles, I expected more). I had more problems with my VW. I have saved by changing my own oil (which is simpler than my VW was) and I've changed the window mechanism myself, which is easy if you take 3 mins to google how to change it. I love this car, and intend to run it to the ground.
Yes, dealer costs are expensive.

Air conditioning and heat kick on fast, Love how the radio tells you what's playing, drifts like a champ ;) , sucks in the snow (if you wanna have fun!) otherwise it's awesome in the snow with cheap all-season tires, decent gas mileage for a 6/four wheel drive, I just really love this car and will definitely be purchasing another when it runs its course.

Was slightly disappointed with some of the electronic features as compared to other company's of that year, electronics in general (but that's German cars for you!

Will not own another BMW
By outdoorzdude

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Never own a BMW out of warranty.
I sold my 2003 325i I purchased brand new and maintain impeccably for 150,000 highway miles, kept it 100k miles too long.
It’s like they used to say about boats, “the happiest day, is the day you bought it and the day you sell it.”
Though that is unfair to boats, as I have a 20 year old boat with a two-stoke Yamaha that has not given me one-tenth the problems this car has and judging from the online forums, I am not alone.
Alternators, radiators, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, fuel pumps, window regulators, final stage resistors, seatbelt tensioners, the list goes on and on.
Avoid these cars unless you like to work on high tech autos for fun.

Fuel Efficiency, Sporty driveability.

Stop using cheap materials that will knowingly wear out in order to increase dealer service profits. Used better engineered materials/parts to imporve reliability.

Fun to Drive, Not Fun to Fix
By afski786

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in March 2011 with 107,000 miles at the time. It's a great car to drive, and looks awesome. However, there have been several maintenance problems. First, when I bought it, it was missing the rain gutter on both sides. Getting those fixed was around $300. After a few months and 3000 miles, the starter went out and they also found the water pump needed replacing, both around $1,100. Then a few months later the thermostat, drive belts, CV Boots, and lower control arm busings needed to be fixed, $2400. Then the rain gutter clip broke, and finally the coolant tank, another $350. I wouldn't buy a BMW out of warranty; I thought they would be better mechanically but I was wrong

I really loved this car
By gabriel2011

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I must say, this car was a complete joy to own and drive. This car is a great starter car but the repairs and maintenance can be a bit costly but overall it's a great car and very safe when it comes to accidents (trust me on that one).

Well served. Best car ever
By parico

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 325i manual brand new and I put 150K since then. I have never had any major problem in the past 8 years except regular maintenance cost witch sometimes gets costly. for the first 4 years I didn't pay a penny because it was covered under BMW maintenance package and after that I only did the oil change and scheduled maintenance.
The trick is not to miss a service due date!!
I love it and I'm not gonna replace it with anything else until it dies.