2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Great to drive but poor reliability
By a_tazmanian on 01/25/13 06:23 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first and probably last BMW due to very poor reliability. It has consumed at least a quart of oil between changes since I got got the car- mechanics cannot figure out why (compression is good). AM radio reception is very poor. Side view mirrors started to corrode and turn brown after just a few years. The diver side window got un-hinged after 6 years. AC stopped working after 7 years. Rear light ground line is undersized and burns out (now a recall). Key re-chargeable battery dies and key has to be replaced for $500. Windshield wiper fluid container leaked and had to be replaced after 8 years. Plus many other more expected wear/tear and maintenance problems.

Scott's E46 - Ultimate Driving... period.
By scotte46 on 10/31/12 12:13 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've been a BMW guy for a few years. I have 3 of them, all purchased with at least 70K miles on them, so I got them pretty cheap. Started with '97 540i sport, then '02 M5, and recently added '03 330ci sport. With so many fun cars to drive, it's tough to decide which one I want to use each day. Most often choose the 330. Why? It's just so darn fun to drive on the twisty roads in SW Wisconsin (where I live). M5 has incredible power and comfort, but the 330 just seems to know where I want to put it in every corner, and its plenty fast. With 3 cars to share the miles, I haven't been forced to fix much; I do most of the required maint myself and use local Indy for rest.

330i 6sp, fuel economy, safety, fun
By DCNW on 06/01/09 19:41 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

2003 performance package, 6sp. This is a great car overall, not without problems, but unique in the market. An honest, real and easy 31mpg on the highway with the 6sp, 65-75 mph. Safe and comfortable, and REAR WHEEL DRIVE, impossible to find anymore in a car that handles well and gets good MPG. You will pay more for maintenance, but, you will also get more back when you go to sell the car, they are not everywhere as rental cars. The interior design is simple, a masterpiece, the seats are great, the material quality is top notch. This cars has -astounding- brakes, nimble and firm handling, excellent power, it's a real sleeper and feels like it has much more power than what is published.

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years
By Moore on 02/22/09 09:40 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years! When I fist bought this Lemon I loved it. But after 9 months and 6 times in the BMW dealership repairing this turkey I am through with BMW! Mt first Bimmer was a 318ti that I drove almost 300 thousand miles with the same timing belt. This thing has had no less than 3 alternators in the past 2 months at $500.00 a pop, cannot fix the radio $600.00, idleing pully $700.00 and its still not fixed. Do not purchase one of these cars without a warranty!!!!

Fun while it lasts
By R. Parker on 07/17/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was completely in love with this car when I bought it. Although I bought it used, it was my first BMW but most likely will now be my last. The problems I have had on this car are unbelievable. The warning light that the right tail light is out has been on and off since I bought it. I have had to replace window regulators, the sunroof, injectors, spark plugs, bushings and a host of other things. The straw that broke the camel's back came a few days ago - an engine/exhaust problem that's going to cost $3500 to fix. In the last year I've shelled out $9K on this vehicle. I loved driving this car it was so much fun. But now I am looking at something more reliable - like a Hyundai.

Fun and practical
By Adam on 04/11/08 17:37 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I moved from a Miata to this after the 2nd kid forced the need for a back seat. It's been a great car so far. Incredibly comfortable for interstate driving and commuting, but still fun enough to toss around without requiring insanely high speeds to enjoy it. Maintenance costs haven't been too bad when I've used shops other than the dealer.

Amazing Car!
By Christa on 03/08/08 19:49 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 330i for almost 4 years. I used to drive a Honda Accord and had several problems with it. I never looked twice at the BMW. The first time I drove it, I absolutely loved it! I wouldn't settle for the 325 - less horse power. I purchased the extended service warranty, which I think was a waste of money. I have the sports package and the front end had to be rebuilt at 62,000 miles. That was disappointing and expensive! It now has 72,000 miles on it. I am torn about what to do - keep it or get another car. I have also had to replace the driver's side window regulator, the tail light assembly, a valve cover gasket and hoses. Still love it - no other like it!

I wish my commute was longer!!
By DaveH on 08/08/07 06:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you like a cushy, comfy ride to the grocery store or you want every wiz bang electronic gadget under sun, look to the Japanese automakers. If you want a driver's machine that'll demand you hit exit ramps at speeds other cars cruise at on the highway, this car is for you. The 330i is a driver's car. My wife says, "Why do you need to go that fast from stop light to stop light?" Jam the accelerator in 2nd at 3000 RPMs and you'll feel the answer. This car begs to be driven and it's way too tempting not to comply. Aside from flat out acceleration and gobs of torque, the 330i feels like it's on rails whilst careening around corners or exit ramps. Drive it and you'll see.

Love my 330i
By Christa McMillan on 06/20/07 18:15 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my Honda Accord for a white BMW 330i sedan with the sports package. I also have the upgraded stereo with a 6 CD changer. I feel like I am driving a concert on wheels! I have loved driving this car from day one. I didn't know a thing about this car before I bought it which I have never done either. I did purchase the extended maintenance warranty.

Fun overshadows nagging problems
By blueguydotcom on 04/10/06 07:42 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 330i with performance package and 6 speed manual is without a doubt the most entertaining vehicle I've ever ownned. The tight suspension, growl from the exhaust and the eager to rev inline 6 make driving far more interesting than it should be. Bumper-to-bumper, fine. Open roads, even better. Curvy open roads, I'm in Nirvana. The car's been plagued with problems from day one. From the factory my e-brake arrived broken. The engine developed a stutter at wide-open-throttle and BMW can't fix it. Often my electric locks refuse to work - again BMW can't fix this. My ignition coils went out at 25k miles. I've had a long list of problems; in the end, I'll miss it though.