Used 2003 BMW 3 Series 330i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good dream went bad
By paulbasden

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 330i in August 2012 for $8,500. It drove well for 27 months. Then in November 2014 it blew a head gasket at 122K miles. Needs a new engine. I will not but a BMW again.

Get up and go when you hit the accelerator. Ride on the highway. Zipping around town, in and out of lanes. Premium sound system.

Ride was too rough for me - especially in town.

Great to drive but poor reliability
By a_tazmanian

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first and probably last BMW due to very poor reliability. It has consumed at least a quart of oil between changes since I got got the car- mechanics cannot figure out why (compression is good). AM radio reception is very poor. Side view mirrors started to corrode and turn brown after just a few years. The diver side window got un-hinged after 6 years. AC stopped working after 7 years. Rear light ground line is undersized and burns out (now a recall). Key re-chargeable battery dies and key has to be replaced for $500. Windshield wiper fluid container leaked and had to be replaced after 8 years. Plus many other more expected wear/tear and maintenance problems.

Fun to drive. Good FM radio. Comfortable seats.

Improve reliability. Most of the problems I encountered are just bad engineering or poor assembly, not related to cost savings. The worst is the undersized ground line. It would have cost nothing more to design the trace on the circuit board wider. Never had anywhere near this many problems with any of my previous Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus' and Acuras.

Scott's E46 - Ultimate Driving... period.
By scotte46

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've been a BMW guy for a few years. I have 3 of them, all purchased with at least 70K miles on them, so I got them pretty cheap. Started with '97 540i sport, then '02 M5, and recently added '03 330ci sport. With so many fun cars to drive, it's tough to decide which one I want to use each day. Most often choose the 330. Why? It's just so darn fun to drive on the twisty roads in SW Wisconsin (where I live). M5 has incredible power and comfort, but the 330 just seems to know where I want to put it in every corner, and its plenty fast. With 3 cars to share the miles, I haven't been forced to fix much; I do most of the required maint myself and use local Indy for rest.

The way it handles on twisty country roads. The whine of the engine at redline in each gear. The simplicity of performing an oil change. How cool the car looks... the coupe is really stunning visually. Way nicer than the latest models. If I had a lot of problems with the car I'd get rid of it like others have done. I just haven't. We'll see. Hey at least I don't have to worry about needing $7K for repairs on the ABC suspension on a C-class MB. Good grief!

Less plastic in the interior. (I'm spoiled by the full-leather package on my M5).

330i 6sp, fuel economy, safety, fun
By DCNW

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

2003 performance package, 6sp. This is a great car overall, not without problems, but unique in the market. An honest, real and easy 31mpg on the highway with the 6sp, 65-75 mph. Safe and comfortable, and REAR WHEEL DRIVE, impossible to find anymore in a car that handles well and gets good MPG. You will pay more for maintenance, but, you will also get more back when you go to sell the car, they are not everywhere as rental cars. The interior design is simple, a masterpiece, the seats are great, the material quality is top notch. This cars has -astounding- brakes, nimble and firm handling, excellent power, it's a real sleeper and feels like it has much more power than what is published.

Handling, solid feel, simplicity of RWD and no turbo or other gizmos, resale, fuel economy, power. Comfort. Does everything very well, there are cars that do some things better, but none in my opinion that do everything as well. The last of the good 3 series, replacement is more like a Benz (yuck!).

Crap radio antenna, AM band is terrible, front bushings wear out too fast, parts and repair costs.

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years
By Moore

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Worst Car I have ever owned in 30 years! When I fist bought this Lemon I loved it. But after 9 months and 6 times in the BMW dealership repairing this turkey I am through with BMW! Mt first Bimmer was a 318ti that I drove almost 300 thousand miles with the same timing belt. This thing has had no less than 3 alternators in the past 2 months at $500.00 a pop, cannot fix the radio $600.00, idleing pully $700.00 and its still not fixed. Do not purchase one of these cars without a warranty!!!!

Don't buy it!