2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Honest Down To Earth Review
By c_macleod on 05/28/14 06:40 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Let me be the first to say buying a BMW out of warranty is a risk, that being said if done properly it's one of the best deals out there. If you have the ability to do your own work, the upkeep isn't that bad at all. I rebuilt the entire front end suspension for $600 (chances are you will have to do this as well, it's a consequence of the suspension design) where a mechanic would have charged over 2k. The 325xi is a slug to be honest, it's heavy and not the best on gas. Oddly though, I have great fun with the car and enjoy being in it very much. Great in snow, very safe, sharp looking, and if you have a level head easy to work on and find parts for without paying dealer prices.

Overall, not many problems
By snwbrd26 on 06/28/12 12:48 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 64k miles on it, and brought it in once for a 'check-up' around 80k and recently around 120k. I don't know if I've been lucky, but I have had hardly any problems with this car. There was a coolant leak the first time around, and this time was rear springs, valve cover oil leak, front breaks and rotors, with a full inspection (with my car being over 120k miles, I expected more). I had more problems with my VW. I have saved by changing my own oil (which is simpler than my VW was) and I've changed the window mechanism myself, which is easy if you take 3 mins to google how to change it. I love this car, and intend to run it to the ground. Yes, dealer costs are expensive.

Fun to Drive, Not Fun to Fix
By afski786 on 01/13/12 12:43 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in March 2011 with 107,000 miles at the time. It's a great car to drive, and looks awesome. However, there have been several maintenance problems. First, when I bought it, it was missing the rain gutter on both sides. Getting those fixed was around $300. After a few months and 3000 miles, the starter went out and they also found the water pump needed replacing, both around $1,100. Then a few months later the thermostat, drive belts, CV Boots, and lower control arm busings needed to be fixed, $2400. Then the rain gutter clip broke, and finally the coolant tank, another $350. I wouldn't buy a BMW out of warranty; I thought they would be better mechanically but I was wrong

Great car, until a few years down the line
By ngolds on 05/14/11 17:02 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great car until you wait a few years. Wen the car was 4 or 5, the troubles began. It wasn't until this year that the laundry list of problems was fixed. There was too much play in the shifter, both outlets didn't work, the key lock was broked and the remote wasn't receiving any charge from the ignition, the sunroof rail was warped, which meant it only opened a little bit, but still worked. Today everything but the sunroof is fixed. The repairs on this car have cost a lot, but it's a great car.

325xi
By 325xi on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is an absolute delight to drive. Mileage has been excellent with 20 mpg town and 32 highway. Long trips seem more tolerable due to comfortable, supportive seats. AWD does an exemplary job in snow and rain. We live in a rural area with very rough roads and the car is still reliable and tight at 108,000 miles. This is our second BMW.

I still know what their missing!!!
By Iowa Architect on 04/24/10 23:30 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Follow up to a 2008 review. I still like driving this car and the looks are great. However, I am starting to have to put $$$ into this car for repairs. BMW ripped me off by denying to pay for a broken sunroof diagnosed at the dealership 2 days before the warranty ran out. It'll take!!$1800!! to repair it. The front end suspension has cost me $700 in the last 6 months and I need to put another $750 into a new driver side ball joint and related parts. Best advice for this car is to buy an extended warranty to at least 100,000 miles. Still love to drive it. Ran at 110+ mph in Wyoming this summer for over 25 miles. WOW!! What their missing is expensive repair bills, but it is still a fun ride!!

It just goes
By John Pelkey on 08/10/08 18:19 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW new, no hassle, car and price matched internet specs exactly. 130,000 miles later and it is like the first day. It had an electrical problem and a headlight out that BMW fixed, and I've gone though two sets of tires. Oh, and two extra quarts of oil. That's it. Original brakes, original everything else. I get 30 MPG with the heater and AC off, and 28 with either of them on, those are combined miles.

I know what they're missing!!!
By Iowa Architect on 05/21/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a used '91 318i in New Mexico and fell in love with it. The faster you went the more that car would hunker down and handle the road. However, that car had zero traction in the winter. I moved to Iowa and needed a better all weather car. In comes the 325xi. Great traction, great handling, great ride, great looks,etc. Sometimes I find myself smiling just because I am behind the wheel. No mechanical or engine issues,however, I did have to change the front tie rods. I found a very reliable certified BMW mechanic and now I feel I am not being fleeced everytime I have service. I do take warrantee work to the dealership. I don't think other car drivers have any idea of what they're missing!

**Update** to "top of its mkt segment"
By cjclemson on 11/07/07 09:41 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is an update to the review that I posted back on 19Nov02. Five years and 76K miles later, the car drives just as well as when I bought it. With that being said, it has had its share of electrical problems (replaced front driver's window motor, front passenger's window motor, and both rear tailight assemblies because of a melted wiring harness). The total of those repairs was around $1,000. Not too bad for 5yrs, but still unacceptable for two window motors to go bad within 5yrs. Overall great car that I plan to keep for hopefully many trouble-free years to come.

Best car I've ever had
By jek1601 on 07/03/06 13:48 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After driving Honda Accords for many years, I finally decided to step it up and get a faster car. But was wary of rear wheel drive so went with the sedan AWD due to Chicago's snow. I have a 5 speed, which was ordered from Germany since the dealership didn't have one in stock. I've had the car three years now and don't regret my decision, even with gas prices so high. I get 25-27 MPG and with 38,000, I've had no problems with the car, other than occasional alignments. The car is fast, exp. with the 5 speed and cruises at 70-80 effortlessly. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves to drive.