Used 2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Honest Down To Earth Review
By c_macleod

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Let me be the first to say buying a BMW out of warranty is a risk, that being said if done properly it's one of the best deals out there. If you have the ability to do your own work, the upkeep isn't that bad at all. I rebuilt the entire front end suspension for $600 (chances are you will have to do this as well, it's a consequence of the suspension design) where a mechanic would have charged over 2k. The 325xi is a slug to be honest, it's heavy and not the best on gas. Oddly though, I have great fun with the car and enjoy being in it very much. Great in snow, very safe, sharp looking, and if you have a level head easy to work on and find parts for without paying dealer prices.

Favorite Features

BMW is very clever with the little things they add that are easy to over look. For example, the driver's door will not lock if it's open whether you're trying to push the lock down manually, or with the remote. When closed, the door locks perfectly. Ever been locked out of your car? it sucks, BMW solved this problem. Between the large trunk, full size spare, ski-bag, built in roof rack mounting points, and spacious interior, this car is a jack of all trades and can tackle most of whatever is thrown at it. But by far the best feature is the AWD. With assisted break and torque transfer to different wheels depending on the traction read by the car, this thing is unstoppable in poor conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Not the best mileage as mentioned, definitely an area for improvement on BMW's end, however it is comparable to AWD competitor cars of its time. Suspension design provides VERY smooth ride, however after 30-40k, the car will need new control arms, bushings, and maybe tierods and strut hats. However this is definitely a DIY job and when doing it, use a Meyle or Lemforder kit, both these companies are BMW part suppliers and you'll get the oem part, it just isn't stamped with the BMW logo, meaning it's MUCH cheaper. This car cannot be run on a stingy budget, when something goes wrong you NEED to fix it. If this is an issue go buy a Honda. This is a higher end car and needs to be treated as such

Overall, not many problems
By snwbrd26

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 64k miles on it, and brought it in once for a 'check-up' around 80k and recently around 120k. I don't know if I've been lucky, but I have had hardly any problems with this car. There was a coolant leak the first time around, and this time was rear springs, valve cover oil leak, front breaks and rotors, with a full inspection (with my car being over 120k miles, I expected more). I had more problems with my VW. I have saved by changing my own oil (which is simpler than my VW was) and I've changed the window mechanism myself, which is easy if you take 3 mins to google how to change it. I love this car, and intend to run it to the ground. Yes, dealer costs are expensive.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning and heat kick on fast, Love how the radio tells you what's playing, drifts like a champ ;) , sucks in the snow (if you wanna have fun!) otherwise it's awesome in the snow with cheap all-season tires, decent gas mileage for a 6/four wheel drive, I just really love this car and will definitely be purchasing another when it runs its course.

Suggested Improvements

Was slightly disappointed with some of the electronic features as compared to other company's of that year, electronics in general (but that's German cars for you!

Fun to Drive, Not Fun to Fix
By afski786

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in March 2011 with 107,000 miles at the time. It's a great car to drive, and looks awesome. However, there have been several maintenance problems. First, when I bought it, it was missing the rain gutter on both sides. Getting those fixed was around $300. After a few months and 3000 miles, the starter went out and they also found the water pump needed replacing, both around $1,100. Then a few months later the thermostat, drive belts, CV Boots, and lower control arm busings needed to be fixed, $2400. Then the rain gutter clip broke, and finally the coolant tank, another $350. I wouldn't buy a BMW out of warranty; I thought they would be better mechanically but I was wrong

Great car, until a few years down the line
By ngolds

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great car until you wait a few years. Wen the car was 4 or 5, the troubles began. It wasn't until this year that the laundry list of problems was fixed. There was too much play in the shifter, both outlets didn't work, the key lock was broked and the remote wasn't receiving any charge from the ignition, the sunroof rail was warped, which meant it only opened a little bit, but still worked. Today everything but the sunroof is fixed. The repairs on this car have cost a lot, but it's a great car.

Favorite Features

I love the acceleration, the sound system, and the drivetrain, handling in the winter. It's all great, accept for the repair bill

325xi
By 325xi

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is an absolute delight to drive. Mileage has been excellent with 20 mpg town and 32 highway. Long trips seem more tolerable due to comfortable, supportive seats. AWD does an exemplary job in snow and rain. We live in a rural area with very rough roads and the car is still reliable and tight at 108,000 miles. This is our second BMW.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive (AWD), rain sensor windshield,self-leveling Xenon headlights. Routine maintenance items accessible from top making oil/filter changes a snap.

Suggested Improvements

front of console seems somewhat wide in the knee area.